Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Happy 50th Anniversary "Daredevil battles Sub-Mariner!" - 1965-2015

DAREDEVIL #7 April 1965

Prince Namor creator Bill Everett
    Daredevil co-creator Bill Everett

From "Fire & Water" (which I received recently):

"All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Anybody ever try the Everett Archives that got put out a few years ago? I've been interested in them for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    Anybody ever try the Everett Archives that got put out a few years ago? I've been interested in them for a while but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
    No, but I will. I can tell you how they are when they get here.

Also, while looking up info for each volume, I came across Fantagraphics site, and there you can view a video and slide show of each book which I found pretty helpful because I had just, kind of on a whim and chance, ordered some of the fantagraphics Ditko collections. After viewing the books on their site, I feel a LOT more confident in my purchase.

If you look here and scroll down some, you can see the video of the first volume of the Bill Everett Archives:
    http://www.fantagraphics.com/amazingmysteries/

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I received my books. LOVE them. Great quality, same size as a comic book, and what I like about Fantagraphic books (that is different from MMWs or DC Archives) is that it seems to be almost an exact reprint. Coloring is touched up some, but not the extent of a MMW or Archives book).

Amazing Member

I read that he inked the thor figure on the cover of the 1968 tales of asgard special.He was one of the best to ink Kirby.I beleave in that bio book, it is mentioned,by his daughter, that he became an acoholic at age 12. He still managed to have a long great career, through dying rather young.Subby ment an great deal to him.

BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT William Blake "Bill" Everett!!!

Incredible Member
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Definitely an undersung artist; but, alcoholism did affect his later work and his ability to get work. In that, he is much like Wally Wood, whose work suffered under a combination of alcoholism and poor health (which both influenced the alcohol and was a byproduct of it).

Namor's legacy has probably more to do with consistency of character. To put it in terms of pro wrestling, he had more face and heel turns than just about any character in comics. He is best as a "'tweener," an anti-hero. His devotion to his kingdom puts him at odds with others, including our world. That's not an easy sell, even when done well. It also hasn't helped that he often fell into less skilled hands than Everett.

Amazing Member

The subby book, after it was announced inside issue 65, that he had died, itself died a mere 7 issues later. IF he had lived another 4-5 years, doing the book, I think it would have hit 100.As is, it's a miracle he didn't die back in March of 1969, when he went on a bender and split his head open from a fall.

Amazing Member

Surprised that there's no mention of his work on the Hulk in Tales To Astonish in this thread!

BANNED

Happy Birthday to the late GREAT William Blake "Bill" Everett!!!

Today is the 100th birthday of the late GREAT William Blake "Bill" Everett!

Bill Everett (center) and two of his creations, the Sub-Mariner (from 1954’s The Human Torch #38) and Daredevil (from 1964’s Daredevil #1).

When and What He Did at Timely/Atlas/Marvel: Writer and artist off and on from 1939 until 1973.

Marvel-ous Accomplishments: He’s partially responsible for birthing the Marvel Universe with the creation of Namor, the Sub-Mariner, who appeared in 1939’s Marvel Comics #1, along with the Human Torch (an android that predated the Fantastic Four member of the same name by more than two decades). Namor and the Torch—created by writer-artist Carl Burgos—are considered Marvel’s first superheroes and still play significant roles in the publisher’s comics (a Sub-Mariner movie has been in various stages of development since the late 1990s). Over the years, Everett continued to work on different titles for Timely/Atlas/Marvel, even helping to create Daredevil in the 1960s and draw that character’s first issue.