Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Black Panther, Blue Marvel, and Captain Marvel: The answer to DC’s Trinity?

With Marvel soon approaching Phase 4 of the MCU, they may begin looking beyond the Avengers for a few years as it introduces new characters. In 2019, one of those characters will be Carol Danvers, better known as Captain Marvel. Along with her, Monica Rambeau is rumored to be joining the fold, giving us three members of the Ultimates. On top of this, we’re also faced with the reality that we’ll soon lose or be forced to replace many of our founding Avengers characters be it Tony Stark, Steve Rodgers, or Thor.

Combining the above with the huge success of the Black Panther film, is there a possibility that the Ultimates could be introduced in the absence of the Avengers? With the big three possibly awol for a couple years, is it possible for T’Challa, Adam Brashear, and Carol Danvers to step up and be for the MCU what Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are for DC?
    Last edited by Harsh Lesson; 04-15-2018 at 02:54 PM.

I'd vote Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Captain Marvel for now as the possible big three going into Phase 4.

Spider Man and Black Panther.

Carol has an uphill battle. Civil War II hurt her likability. The movie will have to hit it out of the park.

The obvious answer is Cap, Thor, and Iron-man

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    The obvious answer is Cap, Thor, and Iron-man
    Lol you clearly didn't read the OP.

To answer OP I don't think ultimates is gonna happen but I expect Antman, Dr strange, spider man, black panther, captain marvel and wasp to hold up the MCU for another decade. A trinity is unnecessary
    Last edited by Pulp Fiction; 04-15-2018 at 02:55 PM.

Don't know about Adam, but certainly Black Panther, Spiderman, Captain Marvel, Ant-man and Dr. strange are on deck to fill the void.

Calling them the Ultimates sounds okay on paper... though New Avengers probably is better for marketing reasons.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Spider Man and Black Panther.

Carol has an uphill battle. Civil War II hurt her likability. The movie will have to hit it out of the park.
    The vast, vast majority of people going to see the movie will be meeting Carol for the first time and bring zero baggage from the comics with them. There is no particular uphill battle for her outside of not being a household name - but that certainly didn't hurt Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Black Panther.

Marvel doesn't need a trinity... that's part of the reason marvel is winning in the current comic/multimedia landscape.

There are no 3 characters above everyone else, maybe you could break it down and mark the 3 most popular characters, but everyone inhabits their own space and means something different to fans. Generally speaking I think Marvel recognizes this. Nothings perfect obviously but mores than DC I see a myriad of characters inhabiting different spaces. On paper DC has the same capability but it tends to default just to their trinity and ultimately Batman. I think Marvel's benefited from not having that Big 3 mantra and its allowed them to flourish into the company they are today
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Marvel doesn't need a trinity... that's part of the reason marvel is winning in the current comic/multimedia landscape.

There are no 3 characters above everyone else, maybe you could break it down and mark the 3 most popular characters, but everyone inhabits their own space and means something different to fans. Generally speaking I think Marvel recognizes this. Nothings perfect obviously but mores than DC I see a myriad of characters inhabiting different spaces. On paper DC has the same capability but it tends to default just to their trinity and ultimately Batman. I think Marvel's benefited from not having that Big 3 mantra and its allowed them to flourish into the company they are today
    100% in agreement.

More specifically, marvel benefitted from not having the rights to x men, Spiderman and FF, otherwise they might of had the same Issue as DC is having

Ultimate Member

Agreed 100%

Let's break this down..
    There are no 3 characters above everyone else, maybe you could break it down and mark the 3 most popular characters, but everyone inhabits their own space and means something different to fans. Generally speaking I think Marvel recognizes this.
    A lot of the things you said can apply to DC as well. They may not have their own big 3, but to a similar degree Spiderman definitely has a special place above everyone else Marvel's eyes.

And Each character big and small means something different to everyone in DC as well.. so why did you say this?

Generally speaking I think Marvel recognizes this. Nothings perfect obviously but mores than DC I see a myriad of characters inhabiting different spaces.
    As far as movies and tv go, both companies have released or are making a wide variety of characters on the big and small screen. As far as media though like cartoons/video games and merchandise, Batman and Spiderman and their related characters hog a lot of the spotlight and in comic sales, Batman and Spiderman/releated stuff constantly outsell many of their other peers.

And again, both companies have a wide variety of characters inhabiting different spaces. What's the reasoning behind that? They both have their aliens, gods, space characters, team ups, sidekicks, etc, etc.

On paper DC has the same capability but it tends to default just to their trinity and ultimately Batman. I think Marvel's benefited from not having that Big 3 mantra and its allowed them to flourish into the company they are today
    Are you really gonna forget that just recently Marvel has been doing a legacy bit with some of their most well known characters? And for the first 6 years until August of 2014, MCU focused mainly around Iron Man, Cap and Thor. So I don't know why you're acting like DC is the only one to use a handful of characters.

They're successful because of the Mcu brand goodwill being buildup over a decade. DCEU made movies that were deemed crap. It has nothing to do with a trinity or limited scope of characters like you claim DC has. If Marvel made several crappy films between 2015-2018, a lot of their fans would probably be gone too.

You saw that on hype alone BvS beat every other Mcu movie atm in Thursday night previews. Marvel (though tbh at times it can feel like IM/Thor/Cap) never had a trinity in the same vein of Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman because of the different way the companies history went down.
    Last edited by Troian; 04-16-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Spectacular Member

Exactly this
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    The vast, vast majority of people going to see the movie will be meeting Carol for the first time and bring zero baggage from the comics with them. There is no particular uphill battle for her outside of not being a household name - but that certainly didn't hurt Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, or Black Panther.
    Using that same concept, people are more likely to associate the name "Captain Marvel" with a DC character than a Marvel one. When I was a kid in the 1970's, CBS had a live-action Saturday morning TV show based on "Shazam".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shazam!_(TV_series)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I'd vote Black Panther, Spider-Man, and Captain Marvel for now as the possible big three going into Phase 4.
    Most likely this. BP will be the new Iron Man, Spidey as New Cap and Carol as new Thor.