Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    First MCU Heroine film gives Carol more going for her then Adam would have. The idea of her headlining in any future theoretical forefront three seems pretty much agreed upon on this thread. Adam just dillydablles on her field of cosmics. Be like if the trinity consisted of Batman, Superman and instead of Wonder Woman let's say Green Arrow or Canary. The latter 2 dont add much.
    Eh, not buying it. Adam's backstory would go over better via film than it has via print medium. Hollywood, despite it's problems, it's far more receptive to diversity than traditional comic readership.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I agree with this. Movie audiences are going to know a Captain Marvel that is Carol Danvers and not the original Kree warrior that appeared back in MSH #20 and later died of cancer. I assume he will be mentioned in the movie but we're not going to be introduced to the mantle through his storyline AFAIK.
    It's been heavily rumored to the point where it's almost been confirmed that Jude Law is playing Mar-Vell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Like others have said, if there is a "Marvel Trinity" (which I hope is never the case) in the MCU it would likely be Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Spider-Man.
    And hopefully not just an Avengers Trinity (looking at you, Spidey).
    No disrespect to Spidey but he really doesn't bring anything to the table in universe. Out of universe he has his popularity but in universe he's pretty lower tier.
    What Spidey brings to the table is someone who actually cares about fighting crime on the streets and helping the ordinary, everday, people on a basis the other Avengers aren't prone to.

He can also be one of the most versatile and creative heroes of them all if they actually handle him correctly moving forward.

But this is assuming they don't continue to make Holland's Spidey as much of a chump as he was for most of Homecoming rather then the kid who held his own against multiple Avengers in Civil War.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Comic book audiences tend to be rather cloistered. The reason why BP is breaking all manner of box office records is because the general public and movie-goers in particular tend to think and behave differently than comic aficionados do.

In an era where two Black men can get arrested for sitting in a Starbucks while awaiting a business partner, yes, Adam's story is not only relevant, but compelling. And given the investigative scrutiny that the "most powerful man in the world" is currently under, Adam's story would reinforce why it is essential for powerful people to adhere to the Rule of Law, as opposed to merely morality. Even the most novice writer could produce a script that the general audience would pay to see.

But Adam as one of the Trinity? I'm not there yet. I don't think Marvel needs a trinity, but if they do form one, I just don't see Adam getting the nod.

More likely to happen is that Marvel sells license to Blue Marvel to Oprah or someone with similarly deep pockets and a studio that is mining for a comic book-based franchise character. I'm betting that these days when Marvel gets approached for deals, the question of, "Well, aside from Black Panther, Falcon and Luke Cage, what other characters in that vein do you have?" is met with crickets. The good news is that most of Marvel Afrocentric male characters have been used, either on the Big Screen or the Silver Screen. But the sad thing...the absolutely tragic and deplorable thing... is that Marvel has used just about all of its popular Afrocentric male characters. I suppose Oprah might go for Brother Voodoo, but I doubt it. My guess is that if someone like Oprah was interested, she'd want Adam. And more than likely, Monica Rambeau, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    I think delusion is arguing against facts when they’re staring you in the face, as doing so would force you to abandon your original stance. To suggest a character requires the following or status of Superman to carry a successful film franchise, when Hope Van Dyne and Starlord exist, reflects a level of delusion that cannot be reasoned with.

Have a good one.
    Your primese is completly off though. Hope is pretty much a copy of the orginal Wasp and even she does not have her own film at the present time, instead appearing in Antmans movie as his partner.

And inspite you bias, Guardians of the Galaxy had quiet a few sucessful runs in the late 90s /early 2000s at Marvel. Without the company possessing the FF, Guardians of the Galaxy were the next logical team to fill that particular “pillar”of Marvel.

Even still both set of characters have a fan base or at the very least recongintion that spans numerous years. While Blue Marvels mini bearly even gets brought up. The character really needs more time before being compared to the likes of Superman. It takes more than just a powerset to fill that spot.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 04-16-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh Lesson View Post
    Adam was chosen because, in my opinion, the Ultimates are the next most likely to receive an MCU push after the Avengers are sidelined for a few years. Also, any argument against Adam could also be used against Carol, who is an unknown outside of the comic reading community, yet has earned a headlining position in the MCU going forward.

Essentially, the question is: Who will Marvel push in the absence of Iron-Man, Thor, and Captain America? Keep in mind the Fantastic Four and X-Men are not on the horizon.
    If all goes well then the X-Men and FF will be back by next year. That's not long at all and those two properties are likely to get the push when that happens.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's been heavily rumored to the point where it's almost been confirmed that Jude Law is playing Mar-Vell.
    Thanks, I think I did see that report about a Jude Law casting rumor but didn't know what part it was for.

Ultimate Member

The case Harsh Lesson is saying is you can do a Blue Marvel film without him having a ton of material for trades. For the most part he is right. However the WORK that would need to be invested has to be looked at.

You do that and you get the issue the Guardians of the Galaxy have-they got plenty of team stuff but solo material is not in large numbers. In fact it will be an issue with the Marvel rising kids film-Rayshuan (Patriot) doesn't have that much stuff. America-sort of the same issue.

What everyone else is saying that battle is not needed when you got guys like Falcon, Carol, Miles, Luke, Panther and others-who have piles of materials to pack trades. Because Marvel loves to toss out trades to allow you to have something to read about whoever they toss out.

If we are talking a big blockbuster movie-Blue Marvel could be a harder sell. Tv series or direct to DVD-not a hard sell. I would rather see Blue Marvel's troy as a series versus a film myself.

As for a trinity-NO THANKS.

I do NOT want Marvel to fall into the pit that DC has fallen. To rely on one franchise for EVERYTHING. And as much as folks want to scream sales-Batman leaves a LARGE pile of unsold stuff in stores.

Visit Toys R Us and see how much Justice League stuff is there. Same with Star Wars (unless it's Finn or Donald Glover's Lando) and DC Superhero Girls. Meanwhile Black Panther sells out.

Saturation eventually hit everything. Marvel needs to stay diverse and at the same time make sure that diversity is the same within franchises.

X-Men can not be just Logan, Emma, Deadpool, Jean & Cyclops.

Avengers can't be Steve, Bruce, Tony & Thor only.

For all the gripes about Peter Parker family-it does offer something for EVERYONE without supersaturating Peter.

No disrespect to Spidey but he really doesn't bring anything to the table in universe. Out of universe he has his popularity but in universe he's pretty lower tier.

Batman is the world's greater detective, Wonder Woman premiere superheroine with connections to the deities, Superman often times is considered the most powerful man on the planet not to mention his symbolism of hope for Earth and even other planets.

Black Panther is the King of the most technological country on the planet, Doctor Strange is the most powerful sorcerer/magic user on the planet, Captain Marvel at least in the MCU is going to be the most powerful hero on the planet.

I agree Marvel or the MCU doesn't need a Trinity the reason they're characters do so well is cause they don't neglect them in favor of special three characters like DC does but if the MCU was to have 3 forefront heroes moving forward I'd expect it to be Danvers, Strange and T'Challa and before them obviously Cap, Thor and Ironman. Because of their importance in universe.

Spiderman, Wolverine and Hulk for the longest have been more popular then Cap, Thor, and Iron Man but the latter three regardless are on the forefront because of what they bring in universe was always my thought process.
    Often in fiction, the hero isn't necessarily the strongest or the smartest or the most powerful person in the room. Often the common man everyday person is the person who can make a difference. And I think that's what Spider-Man will bring to a story. The fact that he's not a god or a king or whatever else I think potentially creates stories they can tell with him.

Honestly I'm not worried about Spider-Man. He's freaking Spider-Man. Marvel will give their arguably greatest hero the spotlight he deserves.

I forgot to mention Buckey as part of this discussion as Caps replacement.

The case to be made for Blue Marvel as viable if not primed for film for me is the fact that there isn't much material on him. I see this as a positive because it facilitates using him in ways that go beyond Superman parallels. Think of how Black Panther was a good superhero movie that was undercover making a social\ cultural statement. Blue Marvel can be a hero that does this. The reality of having a black man possibly being the most powerful male hero on earth would allow for layers wouldn't get from a Luke Cage, Falcon or even a Black Panther. Even if Marvel decides not to build up a trinity, which is fine. I still don't see a reason for them to not incorporate Blue Marvel sooner than later.

The less Marvel tries to copy DC's trinity the better. Why does Marvel need a Superman analogue? That character will never be as impactful to pop culture or important. Copying the trinity is lazy and not needed as Marvel has a plethora of interesting and engaging character that shouldn't have to take a backseat to "The trinity". It's the problem I have whenever someone asks "Who's Marvel's Wonder Woman?", as it leads to this highlander mentality that there can only be one important female character with all others being lesser. Fans start tearing down other characters to prop-up their favorites and it's pretty toxic.

Characters shouldn't be forced into the limiting molds of The Batman, The Wonder Woman, and The Superman of Marvel. There is DC for that. Marvel comics and the MCU do not need to copy the set-up of their rival company.
    Last edited by Crimz; 04-16-2018 at 06:16 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

What I'm curious about is if, in-universe, it also reflects this way. DC in its in-universe narrative has gone out of its way to exemplify Supes, Bats and Wondy to be a cut above everybody else. And DC has had stuff like Trinity in Post-Crisis and Rebirth. Has Marvel in its past ever gone out of the way to, say, exemplify Captain America, Iron Man and Thor as being an Avengers trio? Have books that push up the likes of Wasp, Storm or Jean Grey to be definitive heroines that others look up to?

I agree with the above post, though I admit at a purely personal level it would be nice to see something like that. I mean for me personally, I wouldn't mind something like perhaps a book or narrative that emphasizes Miles Morales' Spider-Man, Kamala Khan's Ms. Marvel, and Sam Alexander's Nova as being the teen trio of Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    The case to be made for Blue Marvel as viable if not primed for film for me is the fact that there isn't much material on him. I see this as a positive because it facilitates using him in ways that go beyond Superman parallels. Think of how Black Panther was a good superhero movie that was undercover making a social\ cultural statement. Blue Marvel can be a hero that does this. The reality of having a black man possibly being the most powerful male hero on earth would allow for layers wouldn't get from a Luke Cage, Falcon or even a Black Panther. Even if Marvel decides not to build up a trinity, which is fine. I still don't see a reason for them to not incorporate Blue Marvel sooner than later.
    For what it's worth, I think Blue Marvel works better on a Net Flick or Hulu show over a movie. It would be tough to jam his story into a 2 hour movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    What I'm curious about is if, in-universe, it also reflects this way. DC in its in-universe narrative has gone out of its way to exemplify Supes, Bats and Wondy to be a cut above everybody else. And DC has had stuff like Trinity in Post-Crisis and Rebirth. Has Marvel in its past ever gone out of the way to, say, exemplify Captain America, Iron Man and Thor as being an Avengers trio? Have books that push up the likes of Wasp, Storm or Jean Grey to be definitive heroines that others look up to?

I agree with the above post, though I admit at a purely personal level it would be nice to see something like that. I mean for me personally, I wouldn't mind something like perhaps a book or narrative that emphasizes Miles Morales' Spider-Man, Kamala Khan's Ms. Marvel, and Sam Alexander's Nova as being the teen trio of Marvel.
    There was a Trinity story for them I think. Part of "Heroic Age" maybe? I remember a cover that made a bid deal about them being back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    There have been certain periods in The Avengers history where the trio of Cap, Thor, and Iron Man have been emphasized as being a pretty big deal, most notably during Bendis' Avengers run, the Avengers movies, and now again with Fresh Start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    There was a Trinity story for them I think. Part of "Heroic Age" maybe? I remember a cover that made a bid deal about them being back together.
    I remember Secret Invasion and Siege covers that really emphasized The Avengers Trinity.

The former was special because it was the first time Cap, Thor, and Iron Man had worked together in a long time (especially since Thor had been dead) and Siege was special because Steve was there and we really got that trio back together (since Bucky was Cap during Secret Invasion).

And Bendis did do a mini focusing on the trio right after Siege. Avengers Prime, I want to say?