Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed they don't.

Oh, and looky Peter is broke & semi-homeless again how original and exciting. I can hardly wait....
    He's not "broke" - he just isn't rolling in cash, which is where most people find themselves much of the time. He can't afford a place on his own but he isn't totally penniless. And looking for a new place doesn't make him "semi-homeless."

Look, Peter is always going to be a guy in his mid-twenties facing the kinds of obstacles that people in their mid-twenties typically face. If you think he should move past all that, you're going to be disappointed.

I started reading Spidey in the 4th grade. I'm 49 now. Whereas Peter used to be a relatable peer, I've long since moved into areas of adult life that Peter will never quite get to. And that's fine. I don't need Peter to grow up with me. I still love the character, and I understand and appreciate the fact that he has to remain, like other serialized comic book characters, "evergreen" for every subsequent generation meeting him for the first time.

My continued enjoyment of the character no longer comes from seeing Peter struggle with the same problems I do but rather in seeing how different creative teams approach the character, how they add to the mythology, and how the character and his world is constantly refreshed, adapting to current tastes while still retaining what makes him uniquely appealing.

My take on the Spencer/Ottley FCBD debut is to give it a big thumbs up. This is very nice work, showing an instant ease with the character. I like that it doesn't drop any seismic bomb or tease some earth-shaking development to come. It's just a confident slice of Spidey storytelling that shows that this team is already right at home. The quips are genuinely funny, the art really pops and the introduction of Boomerang as Pete and Randy's new roomie is a perfect set-up for dilemmas both comical and deadly on both the civilian and superhero sides of Peter's life.

Can't wait for the first full issue of the new run to drop.

Finally read the issue now that I've picked it up personally, and I really like the approach he's taking the story. I loved Superior Foes, and making Boomerang a supporting character is a great idea to me. I like the humour, I didn't think it was as bad as something like Zdarsky's FCBD for Spectacular; the Wolverine part I especially laughed at. Ottley's art is very appealing, and I love Laura Martin's use of yellow in the colouring.

I'm curious how the Kingpin story will go, considering we, and probably the writers', don't know what the end game of Daredevil is going to be. At least they do clarify this does infact take place before #600, so to avoid that confusion.

Overall, I am excited for the book, and even if the first arc does end up being underwhelming, I'll probably still hold on until the second arc to completely judge. Because Spectacular started off fairly weak, but then got really good.

Hopefully this new era will be fun. Didn't Pete and Randy both date Nora Walters?

I don't want Boomerang to find out the secret. Not a good idea. how old is he supposed to be, anyway?

I actually tried to get to a nearby store for free comic book day,, but the place was too crowded, so I didn’t stay. I’ve only seen a preview page, and based on pete’s And randy’s House hunting dialogue, i’ve Learned something;
    Pete and his aunt’s wheat cakes; really makes him sound like he’s back in high school. Marvel may want him to stay in a certain place, but he really sounds a bit immature here. Considering where he’s been, he shouldn’t Be talking like a dorky teenager. Moreover, knowing how expensive rents can be in New York, makes me wonder how any of the marvel heroes not named tony stark can afford to live there. I’m starting to feel claustrophobic in marvel New York.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

This felt a little too superior foes, but was pretty good overall. I do want to point out that Wheatcakes are, in fact, not pancakes. See here for more info.

I'm a sucker for an asterix, so I appreciated that.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Currently MagSeven

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I imagine that would be something that falls under the category of "wait and read the book."

You'd definitely think that Pete's Spider-sense would tip him off but there must be some reason that it doesn't.
    That and I believe Boomerang's secret ID is publicly known. Maybe he's using a fake identity? I'll wait and see.

Free comic book day book was not as bad as I expected. Ottley's art is great and I really am looking forward to him drawing so many Spider-man characters. But Spencer has to be Spencer so of course boomerang will be a big part of the book. I just hope Spencer doesn't do anything stupid like have MJ start dating boomerang as a way to make Peter look like a loser or something like that. Hopefully he doesn't turn this book into another version of Superior foes ( I liked that book but it does not need to take over ASM). If he is going to bring over characters from that book beetle would have been the best one in my opinion. She would be a great character to interact with Peter and I think she could have potential as a black cat type love interest since Marvel apparently won't give us Peter/MJ unless it is in an alternate timeline.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    That and I believe Boomerang's secret ID is publicly known. Maybe he's using a fake identity? I'll wait and see.
    It is? Shouldn’t peter know him by site, then? Yet another reason why i’m not buying this whole roomate angle.

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Free comic book day book was not as bad as I expected. Ottley's art is great and I really am looking forward to him drawing so many Spider-man characters. But Spencer has to be Spencer so of course boomerang will be a big part of the book. I just hope Spencer doesn't do anything stupid like have MJ start dating boomerang as a way to make Peter look like a loser or something like that. Hopefully he doesn't turn this book into another version of Superior foes ( I liked that book but it does not need to take over ASM). If he is going to bring over characters from that book beetle would have been the best one in my opinion. She would be a great character to interact with Peter and I think she could have potential as a black cat type love interest since Marvel apparently won't give us Peter/MJ unless it is in an alternate timeline.
    Or peter and the black cat, apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Only reason I would object to Beetle in that situation because he literally already did that exactly during his Ant-Man, with how her and Scott interacted, so I'd rather Spencer use a different character rather than her again. Although I wouldn't mind her popping in for Spider-Man to fight.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    It is? Shouldn’t peter know him by site, then? Yet another reason why i’m not buying this whole roomate angle.
    I got the impression that Spidey did recognize him, but couldn't say anything without revealing his identity.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    He's not "broke" - he just isn't rolling in cash, which is where most people find themselves much of the time. He can't afford a place on his own but he isn't totally penniless. And looking for a new place doesn't make him "semi-homeless."

Look, Peter is always going to be a guy in his mid-twenties facing the kinds of obstacles that people in their mid-twenties typically face. If you think he should move past all that, you're going to be disappointed.....
    I have nothing more to say on this subject. I'll save my venom for the actual issues. Nah, just kidding I'll give the run a chance. My objection is only to Peter being a loser again not the new creative team.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Yeah, the roommate subplot does come across as extremely stupid. Hopefully, it will not be too distracting from the overall new direction.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I really enjoyed this. The only Spider-Man run that I’ve followed with Peter is Ultimate Spider-Man. I don’t usually read Marvel but I tried reading Slott’s ASM when Peter got his body back and one of the problems I had while reading that is Peter seemed so dumb. Spencer seems to be taking Peter in a more promising direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Only reason I would object to Beetle in that situation because he literally already did that exactly during his Ant-Man, with how her and Scott interacted, so I'd rather Spencer use a different character rather than her again. Although I wouldn't mind her popping in for Spider-Man to fight.
    That's too bad I didn't know he did that during his ant-man run. Only picked up a few issues of that. Given that Marvel made Black Cat evil and won't give us MJ anymore, I am not sure what possible love interest that could be introduced during his run that will actually have any chance of making an impact.

I do agree though that it would be good for beetle to pop up at some point during this run, she is such an underutilized character.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard