Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Why has Rhino regressed again?

Yes, he has been an irreplaceable part of the regular rotation of opponents for Spider-Man, but why has he regressed again, at least so two-dimensionally so soon again?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's not even a Slott-specific thing, just look at the attempts to stir up Peter's love life in BND or Zdarsky's Spectacular (remember Rebecca London? Doesn't seem like the book does).

If anything I hope Spencer will be a step-up as far as writing the female characters and their relationship with Peter.
    To be fair, at least with the start of BND, they weren't trying to pair him up with anyone specific on purpose, to keep him single for the "wacky hijinx". Hell, it took them three years to make Carlie official after introducing her.

And in Spectacular's case, it felt more to me like that was a subversion. They put so much early attention to this character, and when she gets turned to for help, she says "Nah I'm out". And I gotta admit, I respect him for doing that, got a chuckle out of me

I would say I think most recent Spider-Man writers do have a good track record of writing the female characters pretty well, even if the romantic relationship aspects with a few of them aren't as well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post

Yes, he has been an irreplaceable part of the regular rotation of opponents for Spider-Man, but why has he regressed again, at least so two-dimensionally so soon again?
    Yeah it's unfortunate he's just a super villain like that again, there probably won't be any explanation for it too, hell, if there is I doubt it'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    To be fair, at least with the start of BND, they weren't trying to pair him up with anyone specific on purpose, to keep him single for the "wacky hijinx". Hell, it took them three years to make Carlie official after introducing her.
    Well, I think Carlie was always the planned endgame, it's just the Brain Trust couldn't keep any kind of consistency or forward momentum going on that front, on-top of just introducing a bunch of other girls as possible love interests that never really went anywhere.
    And in Spectacular's case, it felt more to me like that was a subversion. They put so much early attention to this character, and when she gets turned to for help, she says "Nah I'm out". And I gotta admit, I respect him for doing that, got a chuckle out of me
    What stood out to me there was the ridiculousness of Peter going to get help from a woman he barely knows and has absolutely nothing to do with what's going on because they went on one, short, date and who didn't even know who he really was.

I mean, Zdarsky was probably going for humor and goofiness with that whole thing, but I don't think it really worked.
    I would say I think most recent Spider-Man writers do have a good track record of writing the female characters pretty well, even if the romantic relationship aspects with a few of them aren't as well done.
    I think Zdarsky and Thompson do a solid job of portraying female characters, but I think Slott could sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post

He has regressed because everyone in 616 Spidey has regressed, and yes it is sad.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I think Carlie was always the planned endgame, it's just the Brain Trust couldn't keep any kind of consistency or forward momentum going on that front, on-top of just introducing a bunch of other girls as possible love interests that never really went anywhere.
    It felt to me like the Brain Trust knew they were gonna end up lacking consistency when it came to that, so they just decided to roll with it and keep the revolving door of girls going. It didn't turn out the best, but I understand why they did it.

I think Zdarsky and Thompson do a solid job of portraying female characters, but I think Slott could sometimes leave a lot to be desired.
    I'd say he's more consistent with certain characters than others. Because you have someone like Anna Maria who is a wonderful character, but then you'll have someone like his portrayal of Silk, which is much less so.

For the twist, I would have Randy introduce Peter to new roommate Cindy Moon, or maybe Randy and Cindy have started dating.

So far, it's a decent take on Spidey from Spencer, but I am especially impressed by Ryan Ottley. I've got to catch up on Invincible after Issue 40 or so, but Ottley delivers on every level, and brings an energy that is a great fit with Nick Spencer's sensibility.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    For the twist, I would have Randy introduce Peter to new roommate Cindy Moon, or maybe Randy and Cindy have started dating.
    Now that actually might be interesting especially the latter option. When Peter finds out who Randy is it creates the kind of dual identity dilemma I love. Does Peter tell Cindy her boyfriend is a supervillain or not? What if Cindy is happier than she has ever been with Randy? What if Randy is a really likable guy outside of his supervillain job? What if when Peter confronts him Randy asks Peter as a friend to give him a while to tell Cindy instead or even stop being a villain on his own terms? Should Peter listen or destroy the relationship of his friends? Boomerang isn't Green Goblin or Doc Ock, maybe he can take the chance or would that prove a mistake? To complicate matters further, perhaps Randy has a hidden reason for being a supervillain that places him in a moral gray area.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-06-2018 at 05:54 PM.

I thought Peter knew who Boomerang was based on the end of Superior Foes, or was that supposed to be Otto?

Anyway, hopefully Black Cat will pop in every once in a while and simultaneously mess with both of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Now that actually might be interesting especially the latter option. When Peter finds out who Randy is it creates the kind of dual identity dilemma I love. Does Peter tell Cindy her boyfriend is a supervillain or not? What if Cindy is happier than she has ever been with Randy? What if Randy is a really likable guy outside of his supervillain job? What if when Peter confronts him Randy asks Peter as a friend to give him a while to tell Cindy instead or even stop being a villain on his own terms? Should Peter listen or destroy the relationship of his friends? Boomerang isn't Green Goblin or Doc Ock, maybe he can take the chance or would that prove a mistake? To complicate matters further, perhaps Randy has a hidden reason for being a supervillain that places him in a moral gray area.
    Randy's not a villain. He's the black guy, Robbie's son. Boomerang's name is Fred Myers.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Randolp...on_(Earth-616)
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Frederi...rs_(Earth-616)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I thought that spider-sense should be able to detect dangerous people even in civilian clothes, not just the ones directly menacing Peter. I hate how Marvel nerfs Spidey while other heroes eventually get power upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by vhm74 View Post
    I thought that spider-sense should be able to detect dangerous people even in civilian clothes, not just the ones directly menacing Peter. I hate how Marvel nerfs Spidey while other heroes eventually get power upgrades.
    What constitutes "dangerous"?

I can get behind it not going off so long as Boomerang isn't doing/intending to do anything dangerous while he's around Peter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    What constitutes "dangerous"?

I can get behind it not going off so long as Boomerang isn't doing/intending to do anything dangerous while he's around Peter.
    Yeah, I expect the matter of whether or not Pete's Spidey-sense is going off - and if it isn't, then why - to be fully addressed when the actual issues come out.

In the meantime, the fact that Boomerang doesn't actually pose an immediate danger in that situation seems like a logical answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Randy's not a villain. He's the black guy, Robbie's son. Boomerang's name is Fred Myers.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Randolp...on_(Earth-616)
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Frederi...rs_(Earth-616)
    Oh my bad, never mind. Damn, and I was kind of excited too lol.