Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If Boomerang was created by Spencer himself, I'd call it self-indulgent but bringing a classic (if C-list) Spider-Man villain that he spent time developing in another Spider-line title into the main Spider-Man book seems like a sensible move to me.
    Spencer didn't create Boomerang but I think he's made Boomerang into his own character enough to where it's at least a little indulgent.
    As a longtime Spidey fan going back to Gerry Conway's ASM run, I never get the complaints that Peter isn't allowed enough good fortune. Peter is always going to be the guy who seldom gets lucky breaks. This is at the root of his appeal. It's not just that he's a guy with cool spider powers, it's that he's a guy with cool spider power who always has to cope with other problems. If that ever changes to the point where suddenly things start going Peter's way too much, the essence of the character would be lost.
    It's all about the balance .

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    So will the moral lesson be the opposite of Superior? 'Cause in Superior, Otto though he was the better one, but he wasn't, will Boomerang as the Inferior Spider-Man turn out to actualy be Superior?
    Well, he is going up against current semi-incompetent Peter Parker so anything is possible.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

As a longtime Spidey fan going back to Gerry Conway's ASM run, I never get the complaints that Peter isn't allowed enough good fortune. Peter is always going to be the guy who seldom gets lucky breaks. This is at the root of his appeal. It's not just that he's a guy with cool spider powers, it's that he's a guy with cool spider power who always has to cope with other problems. If that ever changes to the point where suddenly things start going Peter's way too much, the essence of the character would be lost.
    Having bad luck in his life can be fun, but if you don't give him some good moments once in a while then it gets annoying. Same with the other way around. And considering we've seen Peter have a stable life and still have bad luck ****, I can see why someone would be annoyed at the current development because it seems that Marvel thinks he's only interesting when he's a loser. There's always a need for a proper balance. It's why reading X-Men and seeing only people hating mutants is boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, he is going up against current semi-incompetent Peter Parker so anything is possible.
    That sounds so plausible it terrifies me...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's all about the balance .
    Exactly, overnight CEO Peter Parker was too much in the other direction for example. Still, I detest perennially down on his luck Peter even more. Jeez, Marvel let the guy have a little happiness in his life he has more than earned it reading his adventures gets very depressing otherwise.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Spencer's Superior Foes was great in my opinion, so I am ok with him bringing things from that run into his Amazing Spider-Man run.
    Last edited by KC; 04-15-2018 at 12:01 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

The newspaper strip kind of has things constantly going Peter's way (or rather MJ's way given the big boosts are reserved for her career while Peter remains a photographer), I frankly have found that a much more refreshing alternative the last few years.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

As another longtime Spidey fan, I don’t get this mindset that “Peter is always going to be the guy who never gets lucky breaks”. That’s just horrible writing in so many ways - not only is a constant deus ex machina like “Parker Luck” super lazy writing, but it also completely wrecks a little something called character development, which is one of the absolute most important aspects of any story. What Marvel is doing with Spider-Man is so bad because not only are they not letting his character develop at all, they seem to be progressively rolling back all the growth and changes he has undergone with every relaunch and new writer. The worst part is that there are apparently real people who actually have this mindset that “Peter is always going to be the guy who never gets lucky breaks” while throwing all basic logic and any sense of realism out of the window in order to give Marvel excuses to continuously regress Peter’s character. What is the point of reading a story where characters actually lose their development as time goes on?

Peter is almost 30 years old now. We are far from the days when Peter was a teen who was still getting the hang of being a hero, and of life in general. If you want a story about a hero who is having trouble handling what life throws at him, that’s literally what the teen Spider-Man called Miles Morales is there for! Remember him? Peter’s been a hero for 15 years! He’s literally a veteran superhero. And of course, there’s even less excuse for super-genius prodigy Peter Parker to yet again be down on his luck when he should be famous worldwide for turning a start-up into a multi billion dollar corporation within 8 months... And let’s not even get into the fact that he apparently still can’t get a date... ugh

I’m really not sure whether to be sad or just plain disgusted with how Marvel keeps ruining my favourite character...
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 04-15-2018 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    As another longtime Spidey fan, I don’t get this mindset that “Peter is always going to be the guy who never gets lucky breaks”. That’s just horrible writing in so many ways - not only is a constant deus ex machina like “Parker Luck” super lazy writing, but it also completely wrecks a little something called character development, which is one of the absolute most important aspects of any story. What Marvel is doing with Spider-Man is so bad because not only are they not letting his character develop at all, they seem to be progressively rolling back all the growth and changes he has undergone with every relaunch and new writer. The worst part is that there are apparently real people who actually have this mindset that “Peter is always going to be the guy who never gets lucky breaks” while throwing all basic logic and any sense of realism out of the window in order to give Marvel excuses to continuously regress Peter’s character. What is the point of reading a story where characters actually lose their development as time goes on?
    Peter being a character who struggles to get by doesn't need to be a character regression if they actually write him in-character and not like the idiot manchild he's been for a while now.

So far what we've seen here seems more indicative of Peter's situation then it is Spencer's take on his character.
    Peter is almost 30 years old now. We are far from the days when Peter was a teen who was still getting the hang of being a hero, and of life in general. If you want a story about a hero who is having trouble handling what life throws at him, that’s literally what the teen Spider-Man called Miles Morales is there for! Remember him?
    Every Superhero has trouble with what life throws at them.

If anything, the existence of Miles means Peter's story shouldn't be about "youth" anymore, but Peter will still have to deal with adult problems that Miles isn't at the point yet where he would have to conceivably deal with.

I'm so on board for this.

Imagine the hijinks. A superhero and a supervillain unknowingly living together. Amazing Spider-Man's gonna be in good hands.

It looks good BUT my concern is that it appears very similar in tone to what Zdarsky is doing in PP:SSM. My thought was always that fandom was best served if there were differing styles on the two monthlies. Strange that Marvel would want two separate titles so similar in tone. ����

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Peter being a character who struggles to get by doesn't need to be a character regression if they actually write him in-character and not like the idiot manchild he's been for a while now.

So far what we've seen here seems more indicative of Peter's situation then it is Spencer's take on his character.
    I think the two are quite related. If Peter's landed himself into such a stupid situation, Spencer must think Peter is dumb enough to somehow live with a supervillain for a while and not find out about it. What worries me more than the situation itself is the fact that this book is setting out to be a sitcom...

And him struggling to get by does mean he is regressing as a character if he still hasn't figured out how to be successful with all the talents and connections he has. I'm pretty sure he has like 5 good friends who are super-rich CEOs or whatever.

Every Superhero has trouble with what life throws at them.

If anything, the existence of Miles means Peter's story shouldn't be about "youth" anymore, but Peter will still have to deal with adult problems that Miles isn't at the point yet where he would have to conceivably deal with.
    When Peter's literally already handled everything that life could possibly throw at him and come through all of it, there should be no reason for him to find himself in the same situations unless he's a literal idiot who has no capacity to learn from his mistakes. We know he isn't (supposed to be) an idiot, so that just leaves horrible writing and complete mismanagement of the character as the only other options.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    It looks good BUT my concern is that it appears very similar in tone to what Zdarsky is doing in PP:SSM. My thought was always that fandom was best served if there were differing styles on the two monthlies. Strange that Marvel would want two separate titles so similar in tone. ����
    Yeah, it's all to appeal to the kids who are old enough to start watching Adult Swim nowadays

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    And him struggling to get by does mean he is regressing as a character if he still hasn't figured out how to be successful with all the talents and connections he has. I'm pretty sure he has like 5 good friends who are super-rich CEOs or whatever.
    Even exceptionally talented people can struggle to make ends meet in today's society.

I also don't think Peter would want to take money or jobs from guys like Tony Stark or even Reed at this point in his life.
    When Peter's literally already handled everything that life could possibly throw at him and come through all of it, there should be no reason for him to find himself in the same situations unless he's a literal idiot who has no capacity to learn from his mistakes. We know he isn't (supposed to be) an idiot, so that just leaves horrible writing and complete mismanagement of the character as the only other options.
    I think there are some situations or problems in life where you don't necessarily have much of a choice as far as dealing with them.

I don't think it makes Peter look like an idiot, it makes him feel more like a realistic, everyday, person.

Does this issue lead into #1/802?

I thought he was going to rock the black suit in the beginning of this series? Anyway I wonder what would happen if he didn’t get the skylight room