Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    All I'll say is while I might not always have agreed with everything Slott did I feel he at least gave us some interesting, groundbreaking storylines that felt big and meaningful. This just comes across as tired old comedy crap to me.
    Again, if you think this is the be all, end all of what Spencer has in store, I think it's safe to say you'd be mistaken.

Is Boomerang as Peter's roomie going to be a part of the book? Obviously. But is the book going to be primarily about that and the various hi jinks it entails? Highly doubtful. I have to imagine that Spencer has a bit more in store than that.

And personally, I like that this isn't trying to sell us with some earth-shaking revelation right out of the gate, like some hidden secret about Spidey that we've never known up till now. Instead, it's just a very Spidey-esque complication that carries obvious potentials for humor and misunderstanding. To me, it says that Spencer is going to be hitting an appropriate tone with Spidey.

While I can't imagine he - or anyone else, ever - will be on ASM as long as Slott, I expect he'll be on it more than long enough to see Peter through all manner of trials and tribulations.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 04-17-2018 at 04:58 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Again, if you think this is the be all, end all of what Spencer has in store, I think it's safe to say you'd be mistaken.

Is Boomerang as Peter's roomie going to be a part of the book? Obviously. But is the book going to be primarily about that and the various hi jinks it entails? Highly doubtful. I have to imagine that Spencer has a bit more in store than that.

And personally, I like that this isn't trying to sell us with some earth-shaking revelation right out of the gate, like some hidden secret about Spidey that we've never known up till now. Instead, it's just a very Spidey-esque complication that carries obvious potentials for humor and misunderstanding. To me, it says that Spencer is going to be hitting an appropriate tone with Spidey.

While I can't imagine he - or anyone else, ever - will be on ASM as long as Slott, I expect he'll be on it more than long enough to see Peter through all manner of trials and tribulations.
    Agreed 100%. Sometimes people talk as if this run will only be about "Peter Parker and Boomerang - roommates".

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post

I mean, the fact that apparently the tone of his run is trying to emulate a ‘sitcom’ is more of an issue than the roommate thing. Boomerang being Peter’s roommate could go well or badly, depending on how stupidly/obliviously Peter is portrayed or whether Peter picks up clues quick.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I mean, the fact that apparently the tone of his run is trying to emulate a ‘sitcom’ is more of an issue than the roommate thing. Boomerang being Peter’s roommate could go well or badly, depending on how stupidly/obliviously Peter is portrayed or whether Peter picks up clues quick.
    My thoughts exactly. I am more troubled by the apparent sitcom aspect than anything else. Zany, sophomoric storytelling is just not my cup of tea. Give me something serious like Batman over contrived sitcom humor any day.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-17-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

My thoughts exactly. I am more troubled by the apparent sitcom aspect than anything else. Zany, sophomoric storytelling is just not my cup of tea. Give me something serious like Batman over contrived sitcom humor any day.
    Yeah. I just read a leaked copy of the ASM FCBD issue in question right now (I would link it here, but IDK if it goes against the rules - it's technically like piracy but since the comic would be out for free anyways, I'm not sure if it's an issue; I'll probably just wait until I see whether Mister Mets is fine with linking it here), and I'm a little worried. It reads almost like a complete reboot and more than anything else, it reminds me a lot of the Mackie/Byrne run on ASM, which I think everyone would agree is possibly the worst era of Spider-Man stories. IDK though, that's just my opinion. I hope other people enjoy it.

Yeah. I just read a leaked copy of the ASM FCBD issue in question right now (I would link it here, but IDK if it goes against the rules - it's technically like piracy but since the comic would be out for free anyways, I'm not sure if it's an issue; I'll probably just wait until I see whether Mister Mets is fine with linking it here), and I'm a little worried. It reads almost like a complete reboot and more than anything else, it reminds me a lot of the Mackie/Byrne run on ASM, which I think everyone would agree is possibly the worst era of Spider-Man stories. IDK though, that's just my opinion. I hope other people enjoy it.
    What was so bad about that Byrne run on ASM anyways? I tend to hear it's bad but I don't see specifics much, just know that apparently Spidey's and Otto's origins were connected.

Yeah, I found it. Linking to it's actually impossible though, because the address is blacklisted by the swear filter.

Even so, the fact it's leaked early does mean linking to it wouldn't be smart anyway.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    What was so bad about that Byrne run on ASM anyways? I tend to hear it's bad but I don't see specifics much, just know that apparently Spidey's and Otto's origins were connected.
    Oh, what you are talking about is Spider-Man: Chapter One. It's basically a retcon of Spider-Man's origin story that Byrne wrote/drew, but then it got retconned back because no one liked it. :P

I honestly don't remember much about the Mackie/Byrne run because it was so boring that I have never re-read anything from it, but I recall it being super boring IMO. It was basically one of the times Marvel tried to go "back to basics" with Spidey (in fact, probably the first time - before OMD/BND, and now Fall of Parker/Fresh Start) and I remember they brought in weird characters like some of Gwen's family (I think one of her family members had a crush on Peter although Peter was married to MJ) and then there was a storyline about MJ having died in a plane crash but not really since someone had kidnapped her, and I remember Peter being homeless for a while as well.

If you really want a good summary/review of that run, read these retrospectives from Amazing Spider-Talk. I think they are pretty well written.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, I found it. Linking to it's actually impossible though, because the address is blacklisted by the swear filter.

Even so, the fact it's leaked early does mean linking to it wouldn't be smart anyway.
    Ahh, okay. Well, I'm glad I didn't even try. I don't think it is too hard to find online if you want to, so I didn't want to risk being banned for such a trivial purpose.

i read it myself seems more like a reboot although it does refernce how rhino left the reform wagon from the Clone Conspiracy so its not a complete Reboot. Anyway Im not surpised its a new writer new interpation of the character so they have to write their way.

BANNED

Off the top of my head when it comes to Byrne/Mackie:

-Bad origin revamp
    -Horrible portrayal of MJ
    -Mattie Franklyn's crush on Peter
    -Flash being a jerk again for no reason
    -Poor resolution of a Green Goblin mystery from the previous regime
    -Storyline involving an alien senator
    -Jill Stacy trying to cash in on a grieving Peter

BANNED

Something "serious" like a grown man that dresses like a bat and has a cave full of toy line ready bat-themed vehicles and gadgets and who fights crime with the help of young kids in their own superhero costumes?

Something serious like that?

I kid. I love Batman - but it's as silly as any comic book concept, maybe even moreso.

For all the humor in Spider-Man, I find it to be actually be more mature than Batman, which always seems to feed more deeply into childish fantasies of strength and what a little kid would think of as "cool" (I live in a mansion and have a bunch of cool vehicles and toys!).

Speaking of Batman, Peter says he voted for him in the Mayoral Election!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Oh, what you are talking about is Spider-Man: Chapter One. It's basically a retcon of Spider-Man's origin story that Byrne wrote/drew, but then it got retconned back because no one liked it. :P

I honestly don't remember much about the Mackie/Byrne run because it was so boring that I have never re-read anything from it, but I recall it being super boring IMO. It was basically one of the times Marvel tried to go "back to basics" with Spidey (in fact, probably the first time - before OMD/BND, and now Fall of Parker/Fresh Start) and I remember they brought in weird characters like some of Gwen's family (I think one of her family members had a crush on Peter although Peter was married to MJ) and then there was a storyline about MJ having died in a plane crash but not really since someone had kidnapped her, and I remember Peter being homeless for a while as well.
    Oh I remember readings some parts of that, don't remember that much of it though, though I do remember MJ being killed in the plane, but then she got better.

If you really want a good summary/review of that run, read these retrospectives from Amazing Spider-Talk. I think they are pretty well written.
    The link is censored, is it from superior spider talk? I tried to search for amazing spider talk and that's what came up.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    -Mattie Franklyn's crush on Peter
    I remember that, didn't she kiss Peter and said that they were meant to be together one issue after MJ got bombed? What a bitch lol.

-Flash being a jerk again for no reason
    Didn't he have some convenient memory loss that made him forget his friendship with Peter? Though I think Peter was a teacher when that happened so that was probably from JMS' run...

-Jill Stacy trying to cash in on a grieving Peter
    The hell is up with Byrne, weird to make characters try to bang the guy whose wife died not long before that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Speaking of Batman, Peter says he voted for him in the Mayoral Election!
    Oh so that's the humor we'll be getting... Maybe I should stick only to Spectacular if it gets worse than that lol.

BANNED

i just read the whole thing and I kind of enjoyed it, some nifty action, Peter being somewhat competent, I don't like the constant spitballing of quips from virtually everybody though...feels too much like a try-hard MCU movie.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-17-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Oh I remember readings some parts of that, don't remember that much of it though, though I do remember MJ being killed in the plane, but then she got better.

The link is censored, is it from superior spider talk? I tried to search for amazing spider talk and that's what came up.
    Huh, that's weird. Does this work: https://***********************/cate...lume-2-review/

Yeah, it's from Superior Spider-Talk (but it says Amazing Spider-Talk on the website...)

EDIT: I guess it doesn't work. Just switch out the asterisks for "***********************" and it should take you to the web page.

EDIT 2: Well, I guess it was stupid of me for thinking that wouldn't be censored. Switch the asterisks out for "superior spider talk . com" (minus all spaces). I have no idea why on earth that would be censored...
    Last edited by blackspidey2099; 04-17-2018 at 11:40 AM.