Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    What was so bad about that Byrne run on ASM anyways? I tend to hear it's bad but I don't see specifics much, just know that apparently Spidey's and Otto's origins were connected.
    It also tried to tie too much crap together. Like Sandman being Norman Osborn's cousin which is never brought up again. And the ridiculousness of Peter and Doc Ock's origins being joined in a stupid, stupid way that made no sense.

I remember the Burglar saw May and Ben buying a fancy new Windows 99 and that's why Uncle Ben died, over a computer.

You mean 98? The Windows versions go 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wasn't bad. I actually liked it better than the first couple of PPSSM issues and that's turning out great so hopefully this one gets it's footing just as quickly. PPSSM got better with less of the constant zingers and I would imagine this will also.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I remember the Burglar saw May and Ben buying a fancy new Windows 99 and that's why Uncle Ben died, over a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Lol the specs on Chandler's computer

Positive review from NPR's Glen Weldon.

Title: Amazing Spider-Man

Genre: Superhero

The Gist: In July, The Amazing Spider-Man title is starting fresh from #1, and the first story in this FCBD issue sets the table on the new status quo: Peter is broke (still, again, some more), looking for an apartment and Spidey's villains are teaming up. The second story is essentially a dossier on what's been going on in the Guardians of the Galaxy title in the lead-up to an event called Infinity Countdown.

Additional Info: Any Spider-Man story is only as good — which is to say, as bad — as Spidey's quips; they're what keeps this perpetually overmatched character from coming off as a self-pitying sad sack. Writer Nick Spencer nails what's essential about Peter — his humor, his heroism, and his self-doubt. Artist Ryan Ottley, who made his bones in the bone-breaking superhero series Invincible, brings it all home. The Guardians story is just a series of quick hits, but there's serious energy to it.

Verdict? Straight-up superheroing, served with a smile. Yes.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Now now, Spidey's quips don't always prevent him from coming off as a self-pitying sad sack .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    What was so bad about that Byrne run on ASM anyways? I tend to hear it's bad but I don't see specifics much, just know that apparently Spidey's and Otto's origins were connected.
    Hoo boy where to start...

The fact that it was John Byrne to start with. The relaunch was supposed to be new and fresh and even though I like Byrne's art and much of his prior writing he kinda screamed eighties not turn of the millennium.

The main culprit was Chapter One which rewrote the first dozen or so issues of Amazing Spider-Man. Overwriting Marvel's classic history so significantly was always going to go down badly with longtime fans but the execution which might have won people over was botched. As I said Byne's art and writing was dated for the time, to some degree this seemed deliberate to try and channel Lee and Ditko but at other times he was trying to be modern but like an old guy trying to do (then) modern concepts.

Add to that bizarre choices like having Peter caught in the same explosion that had Otto gain his mechanical arms and the irradiated spider bite saving his life and Sandman and Norman Osborn being related (if I remember correctly he also was going to have Sandman's origin tied to the Hulk's with Flint Marko hiding in Rick Jones's trunk when the gamma explosion happened in the similar Hulk: Chapter One project) and then there was the new costumes for many of Spider-Man's rogues galleries which were just plain bad. Marvel's official stance when used in the main books was that you could either imagine the rogues had always used these costumes or they'd returned to their "original" looks.

The main books were not much better. How much of this was Byrne or Mackie is probably up for debate but Amazing Spider-Man did lean hard on the new status quo that Peter was living a charmed life with his dream job and his art deco penthouse high rise apartment (designed by Byrne) while MJ was globe trotting as a super model. This did not personally bother me as even in the first issue there were clues that this was temporary with veiled references to MJ's off panel agent siphoning off their money but when it did all come tumbling down for the Parkers it was so abrupt you could feel whiplash. Peter's new job as a scientist at Tricorp was handled even worse; The first two issues made a big deal about Tricorp and the new supporting cast with sub plots of their own including a new professional rival sabotaging Peter's work but then it all disappears for a more than a year when Peter is (rightfully) fired from his job for never turning up and we never see or hear from the Tricorp cast ever again.

Then there's Mattie Franklin, I know some fans have a soft spot for her but I think most people would agree her proper introduction was botched and she was pretty insufferable for a while. She was something of a proto Kamala Khan (as a super hero fan that gained powers and became a variant of her idol) but she could be bratty and insensitive like throwing herself at a much older Peter who she knew was recently bereaved.The decision to bring Aunt May back was not a popular one and Byrne did not do himself any favors by portraying her as the frail and completely oblivious aunt that constantly worries and tries to feed Peter but then also cool and hip with a new hair do.

(I think it's fair to say Slott was influenced by Byrne's run with Peter hitting the "big time" with his job at Horizon and later running Parker Industries as well as attempts at spin off characters but the execution was much better and he actually had a proper plans with what to do with the concepts.)
    Last edited by Orbus; 05-03-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now now, Spidey's quips don't always prevent him from coming off as a self-pitying sad sack .
    Indeed they don't.

Oh, and looky Peter is broke & semi-homeless again how original and exciting. I can hardly wait....
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-03-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Phoebe: Wow...What're you going to use it for?
    Chandler:...Games and stuff.

LOL. Chandler had some of the best lines in that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Indeed they don't.

Oh, and looky Peter is broke & semi-homeless again how original and exciting. I can hardly wait....
    I get this viewpoint, and I share it, but while Peter shouldn't be down on his luck to a comical degree, he should be somewhat relatable.

Making him Tony Stark was a huge overcorrection IMO so I'm okay with bringing him back to basics a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I get this viewpoint, and I share it, but while Peter shouldn't be down on his luck to a comical degree, he should be somewhat relatable.

Making him Tony Stark was a huge overcorrection IMO so I'm okay with bringing him back to basics a bit.
    Agreed....

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Agreed....
    I've always thought he would be well suited to a biotech startup kind of job.

Decent pay but often not outrageous, highlights his intelligence, but still very much an industry prone to wild ups and downs which fit the "Parker Luck".

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I've always thought he would be well suited to a biotech startup kind of job.

Decent pay but often not outrageous, highlights his intelligence, but still very much an industry prone to wild ups and downs which fit the "Parker Luck".
    I agree I simply detest loser Peter Parker, but what are we going to do as the Marvel Office seems in love with the concept.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."