Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Question If You Wrote Comics: The Teen Titans

Inspired by I LOVE COMICS If I Wrote Comics videos and in light of the displeasure aimed at the current titles and shake ups we are going to play a game of pretend and say that DC Comics gave us the readers free reign to do as we please to any comic characters. And in this thread it's going to be all about the Teen Titans. Name your ideal roster and even plot direction that may or may not give new life to it. Whether it's reviving the mentor younger heroes role that happened under Geoff 'Golden Boy' Johns. Or maybe giving them a whole other purpose. Don't be shy just give it a try.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-15-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

For the adult titans run I'd try and give them an external purpose similar to how Peter David's X-factor was set up. In each volume there was a team of former X-men who worked as a government response team, a private detective agency or a corporate sponsored team.

Based on what's been done before there are a few approaches that can be done

Theme 1: Sidekicks proving themselves capable and independent without their mentor
    Inspiration: The original Teen Titans
    Rule: Has to be someone's sidekick
    Roster: Superboy Jon Kent, Robin Damian Wayne, Red Arrow Emiko Queen

Theme 2: Official team created to trained younger heroes
    Inspiration: Current Titans direction
    Rule: Has to be under the supervision of adult heroes
    Roster: Anyone
    Mentor: Dick "ideal big brother" Grayson, Kori "mom" Anders, Rachel "the creepy one" Roth

Theme 3: A collection of independent teenage heroes trying to help other teens because the adults are busy
    Inspiration: New 52 Teen Titans, X-Men
    Rule: They don't have to be a sidekick
    Roster: Bunker, Solstice

Since the third theme can be included as a goal for the other two, we can just make two teams: The Rebels and The Dojo. Both of them don't have to be sidekicks. They just have to be teens.
    Which is what the current team is, just with more independence. Have the Titans take initiative to mentor the Teens, not Justice League.

About Titans... not now, because besides Nightwing I have no idea what their individual members should do.
    Heck, sometimes I'm not sure what Nightwing is supposed to do.

BUT!

That's me as a Respectful Reader. As a Whatever Creator, my personal preference is the first theme, with members limited to Justice League, because I like things neat.
    Justice League: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman... handling global world ending threats
    Titans: Supergirl, Nightwing, Troia... handling local infiltrator threats
    Outlaws: Bizarro, Red Hood, Artemis... handling underground immoral threats
    Young Justice: Superboy, Red Robin, Wonder Girl... handling teen issues like Theme 3

Like that. All of those should be the main teams DC promoted, plus Suicide Squad and Justice League Dark since they are different enough.
    Of course, the number of sidekicks doesn't match up, but I can always create an original one. Assuming it will be too limiting and boring if it's just official sidekicks, they can welcome new members but keep the sidekicks as the leader.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-15-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Just go back to what worked in the first place.

Update it somewhat because the 1980's were a while ago now, but basically change as little as possible.

Which is not the same as 'everybody liked The Judas contract, so let's just keep on doing variations of that over and over again'.

And get a popular writer who is not Marv Wolfman (his style has not aged well) but loves the original versions and is willing to stick with it for a couple of years instead of just an arc or maybe two.

Also accept the fact that teen sidekicks are less popular than they were, and adjust your expectations accordingly.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

For a Teen Titans book, I'd drop the name and call them something else and give the Titans (sans Teen) name to Dick's generation. Let the new kids be their own thing.

I'd bring back as much as the classic lineup as possible with the major players (Dick, a Donna that has her shit together, Wally, Kory, Gar, Roy, Raven and Garth, with Vic guest starring pretty frequently)....but NOT bring back Titans tower or set them in Manhattan. I'd avoid utilizing any of their NTT era villains for a while. Since Perez and Wolfman created the the most successful run of the property and also created the first Crisis, I think the Titans are a good team to pick up Morrison's Multiversity threads. Bring in Harbinger, Nix Uotan, the Gentry, etc. Throw them into adventures in the Multiverse, with Lady Quark's Earth (home of the Forerunners) being a major setting. Maybe have Harbinger's satellite be their new base of operations, with a rotating cast of guests like Captain Carrot, Calvin Ellis and others. And give them some brand new members of a similar age group to join up, not sidekicks or former sidekicks.

When the NTT era villains start popping up (say after a year/few arcs), mix things up a bit. Instead of relying on Trigon himself yet again, maybe explore the mythology there by introducing other demon lords that live in his realms, and maybe even the father that spawned him. How intimidating would Raven's grandfather be? Have the Fearsome Five expand their roster to the Fearsome Fifteen and go nuts with creating some new members, and maybe have one of them supplant Psimon as the leader because his track record blows. Give Donna a nemesis that is actually intimidating by bringing back Thia, the actual Titan Goddess of the Sun fully adapted to living in the modern work and who has a bunch of dangerous demigod children. Force Starfire and Blackfire into an uneasy alliance against the likes of Lady Styx or the Daemonites. Have these villains capable of lurking in the Multiverse as well and be capable of popping up anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Inspired by I LOVE COMICS If I Wrote Comics videos and in light of the displeasure aimed at the current titles and shake ups we are going to play a game of pretend and say that DC Comics gave us the readers free reign to do as we please to any comic characters. And in this thread it's going to be all about the Teen Titans. Name your ideal roster and even plot direction that may or may not give new life to it. Whether it's reviving the mentor younger heroes role that happened under Geoff 'Golden Boy' Johns. Or maybe giving them a whole other purpose. Don't be shy just give it a try.
    Since you specifically mention the *Teen* Titans, I'll be sticking with characters who are actual teenagers, and leaving the original Titans and NTT out of it.

And with that in mind, I think what I would do is go back a little bit to the idea of the original Teen Titans; young heroes trying to figure themselves out, figure out their roles as heroes, and how they fit in the world.

Of course, the problem with that premise is we now have several generations of heroes, and characters who belong to a "parent" franchise (Supergirl, Robin, etc) have plenty of options for advice and companionship, even if they don't want to deal with the grown ups in the "family."

So we'll be forming this new Teen Titans team out of characters who have no one else to look out for them. The also-rans, the black sheep, the unknowns, the young heroes no one else is caring for or helping or training. No high-tech, giant "T" shaped headquarters on waterfront property, no resources except their own natural abilities, no money except the loose change in their pockets.

Just these kids against the world.

And because this group is formed of young heroes largely ignored by the adults, the main purpose of the team will be finding and helping troubled kids everyone else ignores. These new Teen Titans will be taking down child molesters, school shooters, kidnappers, abused children afraid of their own parents, drug dealers, helping runaways, and finding new young superhumans who need help and guidance controlling their powers. If you see a story on the news that deals with kids, the Titans are going to be dealing with that issue too; Dreamers who had their parents deported by ICE, stuff like that. Not political per se, but using current events to launch new stories out of, with no regard for the partisan arguments that distract us grown ups.

It's a little X-Men-ish, yes. But it's a solid foundation to work with, its open-ended, and we don't have anyone at DC doing this right now. Plus, by focusing entirely on kids and kid-related problems, we might be able to break into a younger demographic than DC normally pulls in.

Our roster would consist of

Blue Beetle
    Sideways
    Rose Wilson
    Aqualad (Kaldur)
    Damage
    Empress
    Terra (who, from what I can tell, is still a teenager somehow? If the original is too old we'll sub in Atlee)
    Conner Kent (only if editorial demands an A-list symbol to help sales, but I'd rather see Conner elsewhere).

That gives us a nice, diverse mix of powers and personalities, a few "trouble kids" to make the adults worry and cause friction within the team, and it opens up stories that could go from the dark multiverse to outer space to Atlantis to shady government installations. The lack of big, popular names is risky, but with a solid creative team and the right kind of marketing, and with an effort put into sales avenues outside the Direct Market, it might be able to find its legs. But I totally recognize that, from a business perspective, this is a risky proposition.

And, because every good team needs its own opposite number, we'll be taking the Super Friends inspired runaways from Young Justice and adapting them (sans Static) for this book. Much like in the cartoon they'll actively avoid adults, they'll be reckless, unpredictable, and while they might have their hearts in the right place they tend to make things way worse for themselves and everyone around them. So.....frienemies more so than straight up villains.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-15-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

Bridge Four!

I'll complain as much as the next guy about the adult Titans not moving on from their young adult team, but the ONLY interest that I have in the TEEN Titans would be stories set back when they were still sidekicks. I'm a sucker for the era of comics when they were all teenagers and I think that it is criminal that DC doesn't revisit it often enough beyond the occasional "Year One" or origin retelling. I dislike DC's tendency to only publish stories set in the present or on elseworlds. I'd like more modern stories set in this era.

I've got no interest in the Xth iteration of the Teen Titans with the Xth generation of heroes lead by the Xth incarnation of Robin, all of whom flirt with limbo and irrelevancy.

I'd need a lot more time to think about what to do with the current TITANS. They've got a LOT of problems to sort out.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 04-15-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Maybe we could bring the original Titans from the past, back when they were still sidekicks, into the present day?

I mean, fans would love that right?

Bridge Four!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Maybe we could bring the original Titans from the past, back when they were still sidekicks, into the present day?

I mean...I'd be down for it.

I feel vibe from All New X-Men there...

That would be funny tho.
    Favorite characters:
    5 DC- Roy Harper, Donna Troy, Helena Bertinelli, Dinah Laurel Lance and Big Barda
    5 Marvel- Jean Grey, Richard Rider, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton and Angelica Jones

Pull List:
    X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, Old Man Hawkeye, Marvel Two-in-One, Aquaman, Mister Miracle, Mera Queen of Atlantis, The Terrifics and some more.

Bendis is at DC man.

Don't tempt the fates that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Bendis is at DC man.

Don't tempt the fates that way.
    Well.....depending on how his Superman goes, I might prefer him screwing with the Titans instead.

Bridge Four!

Well.....depending on how his Superman goes, I might prefer him screwing with the Titans instead.
    If forced to choose, I guess I'd feel the same.

What kind of inhuman monster would wish Bendis to a franchise, you are terrible people .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    What kind of inhuman monster would wish Bendis to a franchise, you are terrible people .
    I dunno, even aware of some of his bigger screw-ups and writing flaws, I'd still take him on a book over a lot of the more popular writers out there.