Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Immortal Men Appreciation Thread

It looked like we were missing a thread and I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the first issue!

For me, I enjoyed it but was not expecting this much Caden. He makes for a nice relatable protagonist before throwing you into the team at large, but it makes me wonder if this will be more his book or a team book.

Wasn’t expecting (maybe THIS book should be called The Unexpected heh ) the Batman who laughs right off the bat either, though he’s on the cover of the third issue, I believe. Makes me think there could be a stronger Metal connection here than most of the other new books.

All in all, I think I’d be disappointed if I wasn’t already planning on reading the second issue, as it’s a bit of a slow burn that doesn’t spend much time introducing the team. But it did do a good job of making you want more, and will likely work great in conjunction with the next issue. Anyways, I’m curious what’s in store next!

PS It’s interesting to compare and contrast these first issues in the NAoH line, where this and Curse of Brimstone take their time introducing everything, but Damage and Sideways just throw you right in. Both ways work, it just makes for very different introductions to these characters and their world.

I'm hoping we get some character profiles for the Immortal Men in the next issue. They look like an interesting bunch.

I'm interested in knowing who/what Ghost Fist is.

I came to issue #1 intrigued by the look of all the characters, and I think the first issue was OK, but I confess to not being very enamored of the art.

Pretty decent first issue, suprisingly Caden is the most intriguing character for me, he’s key to the overal narrative, and has an interesting power set. I really wish he would have told his psychiatrist that he knew she smoked weed after holding her hand, lol..

That would’ve been priceless. Also, Ghost Fist seems really interesting, (old school hero with ties to Harlem) Immortal Man is cool, (yet mysterious) and I’m curious as to who/what is underneath Reloads mask...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Mighty Member

DC always had a ton of immortal characters. So im kinda shocked that something like this didn't happen sooner. Better late than never.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Black Lightning View Post
    I'm interested in knowing who/what Ghost Fist is.
    Same. I love the character concept. A Shadow-like character from 1920s Harlem. Sounds amazing!

I found the book interesting, and the character intriguing, but the look of Infinite Woman left me perplexed. Why an immortal woman from prehistoric times, thousands of years old, would chose such a busy costume is beyond me. There is just too much going with her look (the horns, the armored hair -I think it's what it is-, etc.). It's a shame, because the basic premise that there is Five Houses of Immortals, each with their own "moniker" which embodies their tenents is awesome to me. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say that Vandal Savage lead one, possibly Domination, but the other two, I have no idea.

The Hunt seems like he could be a very cool character. Nice design by Jim Lee. Thank gawd he didn’t give him shoulder pads. Plus his power based on blood is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    It looked like we were missing a thread and I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the first issue!
    I'm confused as to whether this is strictly an "appreciation thread", or if it's more a discussion thread for issue #1.

Because, unfortunately, after reading issue #1, I'm getting flashbacks to the early days of the 1990s when Image comics first started with the multiple kewl-new superhero teams that were introduced that were strong on attitude, but weak on substance.

Or, to go back to the 1980s, The Immortal Men #1 did offer a nice, big fluffy bun, but . . . where's the beef?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm confused as to whether this is strictly an "appreciation thread", or if it's more a discussion thread for issue #1.
    Just a thread to discuss all things Immortal Men. I was just trying to kick off discussion. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Just a thread to discuss all things Immortal Men. I was just trying to kick off discussion. *shrug*
    For the record, some "appreciation threads" are geared more towards just praise and not necessarily open to complaints/ criticism of the named topic.

Astonishing Member

Never complain about Jim Lee art, it is just kinda sad that you know he won't be on it as artist for very long. He has become like Quietly, only a few issues every couple of years, good when you see them but you realize you won't see them much. There was a time when I think it was a Rogue and Magneto in the Savage Land issue of Uncanny, that I thought was the best drawn book I had ever seen (which is funny because the Sauron/X-Men Byrne issue was probably my favorite Byrne drawn issue of his run). Lee was at the peak of his powers and what was scarier still was when he did that 1 hour contest against was it Turner, and what he did in the time period almost looked like Scott Williams had spent 2 days inking it (was it Wonder Woman vs a Sentinel?). He went from being able to knock out top of the line work fast, to because of outside interests to be sure as well, less than 6 issues of work a year.

As for Immortal Men itself, as of right now it is my third favorite of this new initiative behind the Silencer and the Terrifics. Slightly ahead of Damage and pulling away from Sideways.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The Hunt seems like he could be a very cool character. Nice design by Jim Lee. Thank gawd he didn’t give him shoulder pads. Plus his power based on blood is interesting.
    What was his powers exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    What was his powers exactly?
    He's a cool-looking dude!

Why are you even bothering to ask what exactly he does?!?