View Poll Results: Whose Spider-Man run was better?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • David Michelinie

41 53.95%
  • Dan Slott

35 46.05%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

I'm shocked the poll is so close. I thought Slott would win by a landslide (Superior, Spider-Island, Learning to Crawl, exact), just my two cents
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    As someone who pretty thoroughly enjoyed most of both runs, I find it funny that people keep picking fights/arguments with anyone who votes for Slott in the poll....
    There are people for whom Dan Slott is the antichrist of Spider-Man writers. Personally, I found most of what I read of him to be really bad and I believe that his run has nothing to do with the version of Spider-Man I love, but I do agree that he and his fans get more flak then they deserve over it. I think it's easy to adopt a mindset of "everyone who disagrees with me is wrong or a moron" when on the web and that's something that should never happen.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    There are people for whom Dan Slott is the antichrist of Spider-Man writers. Personally, I found most of what I read of him to be really bad and I believe that his run has nothing to do with the version of Spider-Man I love, but I do agree that he and his fans get more flak then they deserve over it. I think it's easy to adopt a mindset of "everyone who disagrees with me is wrong or a moron" when on the web and that's something that should never happen.
    Yeah, IDK why there are people out there who seem to personally hate Dan Slott. Personally, I either like a writer or have complete apathy for their writing, but IDK why you would hate someone because of their writing. Like some people don't seem satisfied unless every one else agrees that Dan Slott is the worst writer ever.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Yeah, IDK why there are people out there who seem to personally hate Dan Slott. Personally, I either like a writer or have complete apathy for their writing, but IDK why you would hate someone because of their writing. Like some people don't seem satisfied unless every one else agrees that Dan Slott is the worst writer ever.
    I think a lot of it is their hatred for OMD spilling over. Anything Slott writes that doesn't undo or insult OMD is the worst thing ever. Everytime MJ and Peter are together and NOT talking about how they love each other more than anything and want to get married again is so horrible it should be a crime.

In my case, i think that he is just a pretty bad writter and i got tired of his style a long time ago.

Yeah, I mean if it could be scientifically proven that Slott wasn't a good Spider-Man writer, that doesn't justify any level of the personal harassment and cyberbullying I've seen him given online. While I don't really approve of his saltiness in response, I can't really blame him for the personal frustration either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I think a lot of it is their hatred for OMD spilling over. Anything Slott writes that doesn't undo or insult OMD is the worst thing ever. Everytime MJ and Peter are together and NOT talking about how they love each other more than anything and want to get married again is so horrible it should be a crime.
    I'm sure that's the case for many of us (heck, I avoid post-OMD stuff because of my personal objections to the status quo). However, maintaining that status quo is above Slott's pay grade, so he's not the one to be blaming if you don't like it (and once again, attacking people over this kind of stuff is wrong).
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Or people generally don't think he's all that good at characterizing the pair of them or sticking the landing on event stories.

I like a lot of what Chip's doing with Peter over in Spetacular and I don't hold OMD's persistence against his run. Slott's just that hit-and-miss with me and others.
    Just give us solid on-point and likable depictions of the cast and we're settled.

Execution and tone are my bugbears with the run, not some eleven year old editorial mandate that has ultimately failed to halt the momentum of what is now a 31-year old concept.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-21-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Absolutely it was. Slott's run is on par with my favorite Spidey run: Stern's.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I tend to agree. There is a lot of guilt by association, which I think is just silly.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Or people generally don't think he's all that good at characterizing the pair of them or sticking the landing on event stories.
    I've found the the former seems to be deep in "your mileage may vary" territory. As for the latter, I tend to agree based on what I've seen, but that is personal opinion.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I actually LOVED Michelinie's run overall and agree that it is criminally underrated and overlooked. However, Slott's Spidey run is the superior run by far and it's really not even close.
    A chain of 13 responses on a different context for "it's really not even close" were deleted.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

Different eras and I cut my teeth on the older era style of writing, so there is always the nostalgia factor.

Michelinie was a journeyman writer who paired with some great (at least popular) artists and turned in his best work of his career. Stern had been long gone before he got there and he depending upon how you feel about Defalco, he had no immediate competition for greatness. His stories were usually shorter--one to two issues with overlapping plot threads. His stories were never groundbreaking but he hit all the right notes in them.

Slott is a journeyman writer who paired with Ramos for a good portion of his run (that hurts IMO!). He followed Straczynski--who pulled me back into Spider-man comics after eight years away. He had great plots and ideas but his characterizations always seemed off. His Peter was often the least interesting character in the book--hell, he must have agreed--he made Dr Octopus the main character for thirty issues. His stories were written for trade/modern audience and when read in single issues--that don't make sense. And for all his great plot arcs, the finales were often flat and anticlimatic--never as good as the set up.

Do you reward Slott for his big swing or do you prefer Michelinie for his simple approach? I voted for Michelinie.
    trying to be nicer

Amazing Member

Man, a heck of a lot of messages are being removed. I take it this is a controversial thread?

Quote Originally Posted by frogoat View Post
    Man, a heck of a lot of messages are being removed. I take it this is a controversial thread?
    Understatement.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by frogoat View Post
    If anything it's not controversial enough, the deleted posts were pretty tame.