Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    It's mostly a repeat of what I said in the main Dark Matter thread, but it's worth reposting it here.

Curse of Brimstone is one of the best recent introduction of a new character in my eyes, with Kong Kenan (and the JLC in general), The Silencer and, more recently, Viking Judge. The Curse really did a classic take on the origin, presenting the hero before the powers, his background and all, but it did it so well, with some serious work on the background characters, how Joe Chamberlain is both a good hearted kid and also someone drowning slowly in despair and anger as the state of his town keep deteriorating and his little sister seems to be cursed to the same aimless existence as himself. It's really visceral, but you feel for him, and understand why he took the Salesman's offer. Speaking of whom, that guy is both creepy and ominous, but also kind of darkly funny, and his Hound seems to be some serious trouble for our cursed protagonist. Here, we got everything we needed to know about Joe, his town, why he'll fight his foes and how hard it'll be for him. In one issue. It's really great.
    Besides being able to relate to the situation Joe and his town are in, the bolded is exactly why I think this is my favorite of the NAOH books.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Transformation
    #MagnetoWasRight

Fantastic Member

Despite only being one issue deep, this is one of my favorites, if not my favorite, of the NAOH so far. I love the concept, the art, the fact that it takes place in a small town (a rarity for a DC hero).

I got to meet Philip Tan two days after issue one came out and told him it felt like classic Vertigo and he said "Shhhhh! Don't tell DC that!" and that they purposefully tried to sneak in some Vertigo elements lol. He also seemed extremely grateful to see support for his new series and was asking me what I thought of it. It seems like he genuinely cares, which is awesome, and I hope that means he'll be sticking around on art duties for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsci View Post
    Despite only being one issue deep, this is one of my favorites, if not my favorite, of the NAOH so far. I love the concept, the art, the fact that it takes place in a small town (a rarity for a DC hero).

I got to meet Philip Tan two days after issue one came out and told him it felt like classic Vertigo and he said "Shhhhh! Don't tell DC that!" and that they purposefully tried to sneak in some Vertigo elements lol. He also seemed extremely grateful to see support for his new series and was asking me what I thought of it. It seems like he genuinely cares, which is awesome, and I hope that means he'll be sticking around on art duties for a while.
    I got a real Vertigo vibe as well, hopefully they can stay the course without much editorial influence...

July solicitations should be dropping soon, I hope Phillip sticks with it for at least the first year...
    #MagnetoWasRight

#MagnetoWasRight

THE CURSE OF BRIMSTONE #4
    written by JUSTIN JORDAN
    art and cover by PHILIP TAN

It's time to let off some steam with a classic "water vs. fire" showdown! The fiery Brimstone clashes with Detritus, a 10-foot-tall humanoid wall of Dark Water created by the same mysterious "Salesman" who gave Brimstone his powers! More secrets of the Brimstone curse are revealed as the Salesman's sinister campaign begins to be uncovered!

ON SALE 07.04.18
    $2.99 US | 32 PAGES FC | RATED T
    #MagnetoWasRight

The Hound as an ice opponent followed by Détritus, a water one ? It'll be interesting, but I can't wait to see Joe squaring off with another kind of elemental Cursed.

Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post
    Something of interest from the 1st issue...

The Salesman, talks about making these deals before, I’m wondering now if maybe there might be more agents (like The Hound) still out there that Joe might be able to connect with, to help him with coping with his curse. Easier said than done, especially if these other agents are already working for the Salesman. Annie can definitely help with a support system, but her burden is already heavy. Joe’s decision will ultimately effect the family dynamic moving forward...
    Quote Originally Posted by DIVINITY View Post

THE CURSE OF BRIMSTONE #4
    written by JUSTIN JORDAN
    art and cover by PHILIP TAN

It's time to let off some steam with a classic "water vs. fire" showdown! The fiery Brimstone clashes with Detritus, a 10-foot-tall humanoid wall of Dark Water created by the same mysterious "Salesman" who gave Brimstone his powers! More secrets of the Brimstone curse are revealed as the Salesman's sinister campaign begins to be uncovered!

ON SALE 07.04.18
    $2.99 US | 32 PAGES FC | RATED T
    Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    The Hound as an ice opponent followed by Détritus, a water one ? It'll be interesting, but I can't wait to see Joe squaring off with another kind of elemental Cursed.
    Everything’s coming full circle. Lingering questions/thoughts from the first issue, are starting to bear fruit...

It’s gone be a hot summer in York Hills...
    #MagnetoWasRight

Amazing Member

'The Curse of Brimstone' was so good that I may break my "no new monthlies" rule. Trying to move to trades, but Justin Jordan & Philip Tan knocked this one right out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxQuick View Post
    'The Curse of Brimstone' was so good that I may break my "no new monthlies" rule. Trying to move to trades, but Justin Jordan & Philip Tan knocked this one right out of the park.
    Agreed! Go ahead and break that rule, it’s worth it...
    #MagnetoWasRight

The Salesman
    #MagnetoWasRight

Amazing Member

Brimstone is very cool. Love the feel and the sense of crushing isolation. The art is unique and beautiful and fits the story. Harsh yet warm at the same time. It's going to be an interesting ride.

#MagnetoWasRight

Beware, spoilers lie ahead.

spoilers:
    Another awesome issue. The Hound is impressive, and I hope that somehow she'll survive the encounter, I want her to hound (eh) Joe a lot more ! The Salesman truly is a monster, considering the horrible things he has done to those forgotten towns, and I really wonder what is goal is. Creating more demons on Earth ? If then, for what purpose ? Overall, his presence truly make this a great horror story so far, and the art just add to it, complementing the story so well !

Annie is proving to be an awesome supportive character. I want to see her survive, but I have a very bad feeling...
    end of spoilers

So, issue 3 is out ? What did everyone thought of it. me ? I really liked it, even if I'm a little sad for the Hound apparent demise.