Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    This is the second time I see someone non ironicaly suggest for Peter to date more than one chick at once in this place, are those isolated cases or are fans starting to really want Spider-Harem to actualy happen in the comics? Lol

Either way, don't think it's a good idea, it goes against their characters hard, and it's not because Marvel is having **** consistency and/or characterization that the situation would be fixed with more of that...
    I don't like the idea personally, but honestly the only advantage that i see with single Peter is he being able to be shipped with other women, althougth romance shoudln't be the main focus, just a way to keep the possibilites open.

For another side, Peter is always my main concern when it comes to the franchise, i haven't enjoyed Slott's run because isn't married, but because his voice for the characther really anoys me more often than anything else (hell his Doc Ock annoys me too and unlike many posters here i don't really care much for his RYV mini), i still don't know what to think about Spencer and Zdarsky is something that haven't checked out yet, if i have my way i would like him to be written in a similar way to what Millar, JMS, PAD or even Sacassa wrotte him back in the day, not necesarely with the same setting (married, school teacher, etc) but something resembling to that and better plotting, but i don't trust most modern writters this days so who knows what is going to come in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I've seen these "objective" articles debunked in the past.
    I think there are reasonable counterarguments to many of those articles myself. However, I also think, to quote Star Wars, there are heroes on both sides of this disagreement, if you get my drift.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by 2Thumbs View Post
    I guess I've never seen anyone defend OMD. The closest I've seen is 'I don't care' or 'It's not that bad.'

What were their defenses for a 30 year retcon?
    The major argument is that it's better for the series to have a Peter Parker who isn't married, and that death/ divorce wouldn't have been good narrative decisions.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The major argument is that it's better for the series to have a Peter Parker who isn't married, and that death/ divorce wouldn't have been good narrative decisions.
    If that's the best argument they got, I can't begin to imagine the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    If that's the best argument they got, I can't begin to imagine the worst.
    It's the one sentence summary. We can get to more depth on the individual premises, but if the statements were true, there wouldn't be much of a case for any of the alternatives.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The major argument is that it's better for the series to have a Peter Parker who isn't married...
    I fundamentally disagree with that position, but I think it has to do with disagreeing with where the story should go than with the arguments being without merit, if that makes any sense.

...and that death/ divorce wouldn't have been good narrative decisions.
    I'm of the opinion that there was never a good exit strategy to transition from pre-OMD 616 ASM to post-OMD 616 ASM. Had Marvel opted for an alternative to "reality re-writing itself via a deal with the devil," I think that the controversy and backlash (to whatever extent it is/was) would be pretty much the same; the opposition would just be arguing that a divorce was bad for reasons XYZ, instead of: "Spider-Man would never make a deal with the devil for reasons ABC."
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I fundamentally disagree with that position, but I think it has to do with disagreeing with where the story should go than with the arguments being without merit, if that makes any sense.

I'm of the opinion that there was never a good exit strategy to transition from pre-OMD 616 ASM to post-OMD 616 ASM. Had Marvel opted for an alternative to "reality re-writing itself via a deal with the devil," I think that the controversy and backlash (to whatever extent it is/was) would be pretty much the same; the opposition would just be arguing that a divorce was bad for reasons XYZ, instead of: "Spider-Man would never make a deal with the devil for reasons ABC."
    I was about to sarcastically suggest they should have revealed her to be a Skrull during Secret Invasion, but in hindsight I think that might have been the best of a collection of bad choices. The magic re-write in exchange for Aunt May's life has some positive practical implications, but the Skrull one would be a lot like when Jean Grey came back - you paper over any bad stories/loose ends (Norman kidnapped a Skrull baby during Revelations!) and reset the status quo w/o any bad guys or stains on a character. MJ would need to go find herself after being a captive and can't deal with being married, but she's always available to come back in a way that isn't awkward for the fans. Plus, you know, Secret Invasion really needed some more oomph in terms of who was revealed to be a Skrull.

Closer to on topic, and not to bait the pro-marriage crowd too much, one can imagine a scenario in which MJ's death precipitates Peter trying to find a way to resurrect her, resulting in OMD part 3. I don't think that's what's going to happen, but it's plausible

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I was about to sarcastically suggest they should have revealed her to be a Skrull during Secret Invasion, but in hindsight I think that might have been the best of a collection of bad choices. The magic re-write in exchange for Aunt May's life has some positive practical implications, but the Skrull one would be a lot like when Jean Grey came back - you paper over any bad stories/loose ends (Norman kidnapped a Skrull baby during Revelations!) and reset the status quo w/o any bad guys or stains on a character. MJ would need to go find herself after being a captive and can't deal with being married, but she's always available to come back in a way that isn't awkward for the fans. Plus, you know, Secret Invasion really needed some more oomph in terms of who was revealed to be a Skrull.

Closer to on topic, and not to bait the pro-marriage crowd too much, one can imagine a scenario in which MJ's death precipitates Peter trying to find a way to resurrect her, resulting in OMD part 3. I don't think that's what's going to happen, but it's plausible
    Yeah, i'm not into that idea of OMD part 3, unless that they break it (they don't need to get back together just break the damm deal) i prefer to keep Peter away from Mephisto as much as possible.

No. I can't see that happening.

Amazing Member

If he dares to go for such a thing - we will create a petition with a demand to create another version of this issue with an alternative final, where she will be alive. And the first version is not declared canon and destroy all copies.

BANNED

Classic Joe Q if this turns out to be true.

Still must hate his ex wife then.

Incredible Member

Marvel is really keeping this issue close to the vest. This month and a half gap between the 799 and 800 and still no new preview pages, no new info, nothing. Not even the usual leak/rumors of what may happen except for what someone posted in the spoiler section of 799 that was immediately deleted. Something bad and big must be happening.

BANNED

Ι can see the death of either Norman or Harry... Maybe even Normie if they want to push it that far.
    MJ... I do not know, i do not think so!
    Plus, when #800 will be out?

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Marvel is really keeping this issue close to the vest. This month and a half gap between the 799 and 800 and still no new preview pages, no new info, nothing. Not even the usual leak/rumors of what may happen except for what someone posted in the spoiler section of 799 that was immediately deleted. Something bad and big must be happening.
    Yup, something big is afoot no doubt.

PS I recall that post and its immediate deletion.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    It's the penultimate issue of Dan Slott's ten year Spider-Man run, it's an 80 page epic, and also the highest numbered comic Marvel has ever done, you are DAMN right they're gonna keep this one under wraps, big things are gonna go down.

I was really surprised they actually showed those work-in-progress pages at one of the conventions a month or so ago featuring spoilers:
    that black suit
    end of spoilers, so I'm especially intrigued to find out what that means and where it goes.