Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Default If You Wrote Comics: Iron Man

After having started a thread like this in the DC Comics page I thought I'd do one here only this time I'd try another subject Iron Man. Just imagine if Marvel Comics gave you all full reign to do anything you please with Iron Man whether it's fixing up any problems that exist among his supporting cast, any bad ideas done by previous writers that have yet to be rectified, or coming up new plot directions that should take Tony Stark to the next level. As always it's all fun and games so have a go at it.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Also this time I'll throw my hat in and give my pitch Iron Man: Next Gen a title. where Tony builds a university dedicated to teaching new and upcoming science students and Tony will be one of the teachers not the dean because that puts him a little far from the action. Primary students he will be dealing with will be Lila Rhodes, Riri Williams, and a disguised Zeke Stane who infiltrates the school with a plan to bring it down.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-16-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Astonishing Member

I wouldn't have the so many sets of Armors lying around. That just makes it easier for Tony to get his tech ripped off and the nutty things do sometimes become self aware and start getting their own ideas about things. I'd give Pepper her own armor with functions and capabilities that no one else has. Same with Ri ri

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    I wouldn't have the so many sets of Armors lying around. That just makes it easier for Tony to get his tech ripped off and the nutty things do sometimes become self aware and start getting their own ideas about things. I'd give Pepper her own armor with functions and capabilities that no one else has. Same with Ri ri
    Tony technically replaced all his armour with that new model in Bendis's run that can transform into any of his old armours. And what sort of armour would you give Pepper and Riri to set them apart from Tony?

I'd reset the continuity to when Howard was still the birth father and have Joe Casey ghost write.

I'd replace the alcoholism with PSTD, like they basically have in the movies. In the movies, he does sometimes drink too much, but it is very ambiguous whether he's a true alcoholic. Rather, sometimes drinking too much is one symptom among many of his PSTD. PSTD is more relatable than alcoholism, and lends itself to far more story-hooks.

http://drnerdlove.tumblr.com/post/14...rk-needs-a-hug

iMan 42s

If I had free reign to do anything ignoring what I would write specifically?

1. A proper upgrade, I'm getting sick of the back tracking. We've gone back and forth on multiple suits to an all in one and so at base Iron man would have one design but could integrate and manipulate Starktech to make new suits, or create additions like the Endo-sym. Essentially one baseline suit that can be turned into all the basics, but can gain additional material to provide some extra punch and manipulate it to do other things separately. He doesn't need a car armor, he can fly, but should he want a car the material is there to form it. What happened to "next-gen 3D printing"?

2. Play up Tony's philanthropic side. The man is one of the wealthiest in the whole MU, have him buy some land and position it in a place so that people can have low-income housing with Stark security and medical benefits. Stark has been homeless and knows damn well what it's like to be on the low income end of the spectrum. This not only raises a few ethical questions but allows Tony to shine as the philanthropist he is. Not everyone is cut out to work at Stark (insert whatever they are currently called here) so Tony could do something to get people back on their feet by providing housing.

3. Personally I would abandon Riri Williams like it never happened but that isn't fair to anybody who actually likes her. So to make the attempt it would sort of be like a "soft" do-over. Riri (can we not with a juvenile slang for "retard"?) would be reintroduced in a suit she designs with a gimmick to it that's more her than Tony. She's called Iron heart, why? Perhaps medical technologies like advanced first response type technology. So she could be a superhero paramedic not only connecting back to her "backstory" (if we can call it that) in that she couldn't save a friend getting shot and so her armor is designed to treat citizens who become injured. Gives her a reason for being places, a reason to wear armor (shooters), and a job and potential for crossovers with Tony. Thus things aren't as forced and arbitrary, shes here because shes trying to save lives.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Amazing Member

I actually thought about this a few months back. Unfortunately, I think I tossed that page of brainstorm pitches.

It was mainly focused on Tony looking to the future (#futurist!) and how he could go about getting there. One issue would have seen him offering Blizzard a job/chance at redemption. One issue would have seen Tony looking at the homeless and stumbling into a war with a magic-type (original character). Another one would be toying with Stark's "rich superhero" trope of being able to help without the constraints of rules/laws. This one was an idea I had, but hadn't really worked out how to do it.

I came up with a War Machine pitch that I think would be dope, but I obviously am biased there, haha.

That reminds me of something else: I'd stop calling him a "futurist". I hate, hate, hate that word applied to him! Anthony Stark is an INVENTOR! Steve Jobs called himself a "futurist" because he was pretentious scum. Stark should not be Steve Jobsified.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    If I had free reign to do anything ignoring what I would write specifically?

1. A proper upgrade, I'm getting sick of the back tracking. We've gone back and forth on multiple suits to an all in one and so at base Iron man would have one design but could integrate and manipulate Starktech to make new suits, or create additions like the Endo-sym. Essentially one baseline suit that can be turned into all the basics, but can gain additional material to provide some extra punch and manipulate it to do other things separately. He doesn't need a car armor, he can fly, but should he want a car the material is there to form it. What happened to "next-gen 3D printing"?

2. Play up Tony's philanthropic side. The man is one of the wealthiest in the whole MU, have him buy some land and position it in a place so that people can have low-income housing with Stark security and medical benefits. Stark has been homeless and knows damn well what it's like to be on the low income end of the spectrum. This not only raises a few ethical questions but allows Tony to shine as the philanthropist he is. Not everyone is cut out to work at Stark (insert whatever they are currently called here) so Tony could do something to get people back on their feet by providing housing.

3. Personally I would abandon Riri Williams like it never happened but that isn't fair to anybody who actually likes her. So to make the attempt it would sort of be like a "soft" do-over. Riri (can we not with a juvenile slang for "retard"?) would be reintroduced in a suit she designs with a gimmick to it that's more her than Tony. She's called Iron heart, why? Perhaps medical technologies like advanced first response type technology. So she could be a superhero paramedic not only connecting back to her "backstory" (if we can call it that) in that she couldn't save a friend getting shot and so her armor is designed to treat citizens who become injured. Gives her a reason for being places, a reason to wear armor (shooters), and a job and potential for crossovers with Tony. Thus things aren't as forced and arbitrary, shes here because shes trying to save lives.
    If I had to work with the current mess, I would just make 'Riri' into Lila, Rhodey's niece. She'd come gunning for Tony in a scrap-created armor. They'd have it out/bond over missing James. Then Stark would sponsor her the same way he did Force or Jack of Hearts; well, more like that kid from Iron Man 3.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    That reminds me of something else: I'd stop calling him a "futurist". I hate, hate, hate that word applied to him! Anthony Stark is an INVENTOR! Steve Jobs called himself a "futurist" because he was pretentious scum. Stark should not be Steve Jobsified.
    But Tony Stark is also the owner of company and those owners are always thinking about the future though.

Looking after the company should be Pepper's job. Stark originally and for decades was an inventor whose inventions powered his company. He wasn't concerning himself with market trends. He was in a lab working miracles.

Pepper's job should be channeling Stark's boundless creativity towards practical concerns. Pepper should be the "futurist", which is to say the stable businesswoman concerned with market trends and the bottom line. That gives Pepper a useful role in the book, while keeping Stark as the inventor he used to be and should have remained.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 04-16-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Page 1, Stark without armour, falling from a skyscraper. The next 20 pages are the X-Men gossiping and generally not caring about his death. Issue 2, the books name is changed to X-Men: Yellow.

BANNED

At the end of the first issue, Tony and Rhodey (he'll be back) are vaporized before Riri's eyes. However, the next issue would reveal that it only appeared that they were vaporized, when in reality, for reasons connected to the plot of the opening arc, they'd just been teleported to the past, while their teenage selves had switched places with him. The rest of the book would then follow TeenTony and 'friends' (Tony and Riri would hate each other more than a little) going on adventures as they try to find a way to switch the boys back.

Also I'd probably work Gene Khan into the mythos because he's my favorite Iron Man 'villain', just in case it wasn't obvious enough yet what my favorite take on 'Iron Man' was.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Looking after the company should be Pepper's job. Stark was originally and for decades an inventor whose inventions powered his company. He wasn't concerning himself with market trends. He was in a lab working miracles.

Pepper's job should be channeling Stark's boundless creativity towards practical concerns. Pepper should be the "futurist", which is to say the stable businesswoman concerned with market trends and the bottom line. That gives Pepper a useful role in the book, while keeping Stark as the inventor he used to be and should have remained.
    Not a bad idea for Pepper I guess if you can figure out how to get her and Tony to make amends at least if being a couple has been a proven failure except in alternate universes. And how would this affect Stark's position as the sometimes leader of the Avengers?