Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What would you want to see in a new Superman cartoon series?

We have not seen a Superman cartoon series since STAS ended (we seen animated movies, not a cartoon TV series), what would you want to see in a new Superman cartoon series? Also what would like to see in a Superman animated movie?

Wouldn't mind seeing the Super Family in animated form. Would be a great way to get kids involved with Superman by having Jon there. And having Super Mom in Lois while also being a crack reporter?

I'd love to see Morrison's first Action arc turned into an animated film.

I'd also love to see a 1940's period piece, like an updated Fleischer cartoon.

Hell, I'd be down for taking Morrison's Action origin and setting it in the 40's.

I guess I don't really care (not much of a cartoon guy anyway, but I got kids) but I'm feeling some Fleischer.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

I’d like it to be more procedural like Golden and Silver-Age comics where Superman actively looks for trouble regularly and occasionally plays chess with his enemies (Ie. Stuff where the audience has to guess what Superman is up to) than stuff where trouble always finds him.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

At the moment, I think something close to Batman: The Brave and the Bold and Justice League Action is what would work if it were going for the traditional approach - not necessarily as silly or stylized, but with that same kind of freewheeling anything-goes one-shot spirit, since even if I particularly wanted it I don’t trust the powers that be to do a more buttoned-up take on him and his world justice. I’d have it jump around in time throughout his career a lot from his Golden Agey early days to the present where he’s married to Lois and working with his son as Superboy, and maybe even the odd episode in his childhood or the distant future. Tonally, I’d want it to focus less (if by no means rarely) on fighting supervillains - his aren’t typically well-served, and I don’t see this changing that - so much as big concepts and big emotions with lots of exploration, from the distant future with the Legion and Superman Squad to far-away galaxies to underwater civilizations, each one with some kind of psychological or moral backbone built in ranging from giddily uplifting and hilarious to bloody-raw grief and wistful, unfulfillable longing. In other words, the Silver Age except it knows what it’s doing, ala All-Star Superman. A richer, more vibrant approach visually would fit that approach, I think, making all those settings really POP in the way they should. Juan Ferreyra’s take on Superman and his world seems pretty close to what I’m visualizing:

And there needs to be room for full-on diversions, whether in a wholly different animation style for an episode (it could be a Mxyzptlk trick if you have to justify it, or simply a noir take for a Lois investigative story for instance), starring another universe’s Superman, an old-fashioned imaginary story, a Superman Squad epic or Jon in the future as Superman Secundus teaming up with Damian's trenchcoat Batman, whatever. Really, even if this were allowed to be a more ‘mature’ Superman show I’d have it take pretty much this approach, just with a higher budget, a few long-term plots, and more room to go heavy and truly weird. And get Jason Lewis or Nolan North to voice Superman, they both have I think a hell of a lot of potential in that regard.
    Buh-bye

For a series, my only real desire is to see something that would start at the beginning and go on from there. The style wouldn't really matter to me. Golden, Silver, Bronze, modern, post-modern, whatever. But I'd save the "jump right in" stuff for animated films. For a series, I start at the origin/year one.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

You know the most I can ask for at the moment is the respect he received on the jl action cartoon show which is sadly cancelled. The writers on that show made him the most competent Superman I've ever seen so far in most of his animated run (not witstanding the Fleisher cartoon of course and surprisingly Supes & Legion of superheroes). I mean one of my favorite episodes of that show was red sun for how they once more went with the "let's weaken Superman angle" and still made him "Super" without it throughout even having him go so far as to use his 'GASP' head for once. If the new animated series can give me that kind of Superman writing then we're gold.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd love to see Morrison's first Action arc turned into an animated film.

I'd also love to see a 1940's period piece, like an updated Fleischer cartoon.

Hell, I'd be down for taking Morrison's Action origin and setting it in the 40's.

I guess I don't really care (not much of a cartoon guy anyway, but I got kids) but I'm feeling some Fleischer.
    Hmmm, my question is would kids (its safe to assume a new Superman cartoon would be aimed at kids) like a cartoon set in the 40s or would they wonder why no one has cell phones?

BANNED

Kenan Kong, Kon-El, Linda Danvers, Chris Kent, Natasha and Traci, The Legion of Super Pets and a focus on Mercy Graves as a major antagonist would all be welcome.

I guess general things that I would want:

- Good animation.

- Serialized storytelling, unless you're going for something more cartoony and episodic (which is fine depending on the direction and goal for the series).

- Strong characterization and depictions for Superman, his supporting cast, and the Clark Kent/Superman duality.

- Lois to play a focal and integral role, even if I wouldn't rule out other love interests like Lana or Lori, even if she would be the undisputed female lead and love interest.

- Jimmy getting in crazy adventures.

- Dynamic and seismic action sequences.

- Cool, creative, and memorable visuals.

- Cool revamps and takes on the Rogues Gallery.

- Lex as a compelling and integral overarching villain.

- Gradually introduce SuperFamily members but not at the expense of the focus on Superman and his supporting cast.

I want to see trunks. I want to see bright colors. I want to see Superman as a hero who saves everyone else, not a victim who is always fighting for his life.

I DON'T want to see body armour, or anything resembling these horrid DC movies.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I wouldn't expect a Peter Chung or Studio Ghibli, but I would love for them to try for some outstanding direction along those lines. Not in the mold of another product necessarily.

Astonishing Member

Superman when he was a boy.

A modern take on the Silver-Age Superboy with the type of loose logic you get in the zanier cartoons.

Superboy dealing with Krypto bringing him cars that he caught.

Master Mxyzptlk turning stuff into a giant computer game or arming the local wildlife during hunting season.

Bizarro walking through town disguised as Clark and no one noticing the difference while Superboy keeps trying to not-so-subtly point out that it's a chalk-faced kid dressed in Clark's clothes (But he can't be Bizarro. He's wearing glasses).

The Legion visiting and assuming everything has artificial intelligence leading to comedic mayhem.

Superboy and Lex creating more and more complex devices to one up each other at a science fair only for Pete Ross' potato-powered light bulb to take 1st prize.

1. Action Comics run of Morrison. The first volume when he is running around in jeans. (Liking it more and more). Its unique. A GA style story. Later give him a costume and make Fleischer shorts-like stories. (Liking those shorts more and more). That's GA again. This time in full costume. These are full length episodes with stories spread over seasons.

2. Always wanted a Silver Age kind of series like Batman's Brave and Bold. Shorter run times and fun like that show. Except for that team up stuff which the show was about. Here there can be guest appearances. But it would be a Superman show.

3. Super Sons. Would love to see it somewhere else, apart from the books.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 03-26-2018 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Hmmm, my question is would kids (its safe to assume a new Superman cartoon would be aimed at kids) like a cartoon set in the 40s or would they wonder why no one has cell phones?
    There were cell phones in Morrison's story arc.

I don't care for the 30s. That's simply an aesthetic. I would rather have these Fleischer like stories be set today.