Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I think Wonder Woman's relation to feminism and feminist theories should be rather complex, just as her view of sexuality in our society. It should draw heavily on her background being raised in an environment of only women who have built their own utopian society. In a way, she would be equally bewildered by feminist theory as she is of patriarchical norms and structures, and the same should be true of her view of LGBT issues. She'd happily march at the front of a pride parade, while at the same time having no clue about at least half that is happening.

A lot of people (especially men) claim they don't see gender. In Diana's case, she is one of the characters where that would be the truth.
    I see well I wouldn't touch LGBT topics but it does sound sensible at least to set Diana apart more.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Also if I could add another adjustment for Wonder Woman it would her dynamic with Steve. I will be doing a recreation of the George Perez era of his landing only melding his arrival with his mother's and like in the run Dooms Doorway will exist. After crash landing Steve is nursed back to health by Diana, he hears that Dooms Doorway will be breached. And despite not being fully recovered Steve joins the conflict anyway. During which Steve saves Diana and develops a rivalry with Steve with a simmering attraction for him. If I learned anything from learning how to write fiction it's all in the presentation. And Steve needs a Mary Jane moment where he can say to Wonder Woman the person who many always says is out his league she hit the jackpot when she fell for him. And Steve's motivation in life will not be all about Wonder Woman it's been very unhelpful. Rather his goal is to serve his country by hunting down dangerous artifact for A.R.G.U.S. and hiding them for safekeeping. And always trying to stay one step ahead of his potentially corrupt bosses and co-workers particularly Amanda Waller.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-20-2018 at 01:46 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Like I said at the top you have full reign to do as you please with Wonder Woman whether as an editor or a writer. You have tons of great ideas here but I don't think so highly of the feminist aspect as in this day and age there are quite few feminist who have gone beyond simply asking for equality sometimes it's just outright dominion.
    How much do you know about wonder Woman's golden age roots? It's called loving submission to female authority. And it's supposed to fix the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    How much do you know about wonder Woman's golden age roots? It's called loving submission to female authority. And it's supposed to fix the world.
    I know a bit about it but I was dismayed by how Marston wrote in his questionable interests into the stories. But realistically no one would be sure such an idea would have worked anyway as women are just as flawed as men are.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-19-2018 at 06:41 AM.

Wonder Woman should always have feminist themes first and foremost in her book. Maybe not as ham-fisted as Marston's run (which I loved, for the record), but her interactions with other women has always made for the best Wonder Woman stories IMO.

She's definitely a champion for the LGBT community, as well. Something which the actual comic rarely seems to focus on (despite the majority of the cast of the WW series being members of).

BANNED

I know a bit about it but I was dismayed by how Marston wrote in his questionable interests into the stories. But realistically no one would be sure such an idea would have worked anyway as women are just as flawed as men are.
    Realistically Amazon Princesses don't beat up gods of war.

Realistically Amazon Princesses don't beat up gods of war.
    All i' saying is that I'm not the biggest fan of Marston's ideals that's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Wonder Woman should always have feminist themes first and foremost in her book. Maybe not as ham-fisted as Marston's run (which I loved, for the record), but her interactions with other women has always made for the best Wonder Woman stories IMO.

She's definitely a champion for the LGBT community, as well. Something which the actual comic rarely seems to focus on (despite the majority of the cast of the WW series being members of).
    Admittedly the tricky part of writing that stuff is that how much restraint will you show and not turn the characters into mouth pieces for your ideals. I've seen many characters over at Marvel suffer because the writers just keep forcing their ideals on to many of the characters. As a result they aren't treated as people but rather puppets. I think Wonder Woman could benefit more from character driven stories as well themes that help give more meat to her and the supporting casts characters.

Admittedly the tricky part of writing that stuff is that how much restraint will you show and not turn the characters into mouth pieces for your ideals. I've seen many characters over at Marvel suffer because the writers just keep forcing their ideals on to many of the characters. As a result they aren't treated as people but rather puppets. I think Wonder Woman could benefit more from character driven stories as well themes that help give more meat to her and the supporting casts characters.
    I think the majority of people going into a Wonder Woman comic book know to expect themes of feminism, LGBT issues/inclusivity, and other "SJW" aspects.

That's not to say we should get into the blatant "let's put down men to enhance women" "feminazi" territory, but Wonder Woman is THE feminist hero and probably the biggest feminist icon after Rosie the Riveter.

BANNED

The longer you post in this thread the more anti-feminist you seem.

The longer you post in this thread the more anti-feminist you seem.
    I am an aspiring writer who is just trying to apply the knowledge I have accumulated. Besides I find a lot stories helpful if they are more character driven to flesh out that characters. I am not against fair treatment for women I just like to put characters first or in the case of corporate characters reinvent to be good ones and that's something a lot comic book writer do not these days.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-19-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I think the majority of people going into a Wonder Woman comic book know to expect themes of feminism, LGBT issues/inclusivity, and other "SJW" aspects.

That's not to say we should get into the blatant "let's put down men to enhance women" "feminazi" territory, but Wonder Woman is THE feminist hero and probably the biggest feminist icon after Rosie the Riveter.
    I mean as long as the men get a fair chance to show be as interesting as the women then I have no problems.

BANNED

I am an aspiring writer who is just trying to apply the knowledge I have accumulated. Besides I find a lot stories helpful if they are more character driven to flesh out that characters.
    And this has what to do with having as little feminism as possible in wonder Woman books?

And this has what to do with having as little feminism as possible in wonder Woman books?
    Not really you just have to update the book to what's happening today and see how Wonder Woman would deal with the more extreme side of feminism and what not. Just don't do it at the expense of the male characters and you wind up wishing that the book only had women in it if there's no point to their existence as they would as interesting as watching paint dry and have the importance that's the size of an atom. Besides Gwen Stacy had the personality of cardboard in the comics it was only in the Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon did she truly get to live up to the iconography of her character. I'd like for the male characters to get similar treatments.

Anyway onto my ideas.

I would kill to try to give Ares the Sinestro treatment. He will not have some obscure desire to prove to Wonder Woman that war is the natural order of humanity or something like that. He will have a grudge against the Amazons because he knows of certain hypocritical things about them particularly Hippolyta. And this goes into all out war Sinestro Corp War style. With Diana leading the charge with Steve as her second in command and the Oddfellows as the Impossible Mission Force of the army With Steve as the William Brandt of the team. Diana is what Ethan Hunt is the lead of group. And I would revamp the Amazons to having once had men in their society but true to the book they will be under a matriarchal governing style society before they were killed off kind of like in the Wonder Woman animated film.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-19-2018 at 11:03 AM.

No-one is asking for Wonder Woman to provide educational pamphlets that provide detailed discussions on intersectionality theory or a study of the mechanisms on how issues and grievances raised by women are either silenced or turned into that the women are the problem.

But the comic should and could be able to show examples of instances where intersectionality becomes an issue, or how women are silenced, or the way women are turned into the problem. And Diana's (or other characters) opposition and reaction to that development. That is simply good story-telling that draws on the parameters of Diana's background, taking into account the intents of the creator, the way the character has been and is interpreted by the public, and the current issues of today.

Being Swedish, I grew up on Bamse, and that comic aimed at kids up to age 10 or so have tackled racism, sexism, ableism, neuropsychiatric issues, prejudice, the Holocaust, drugs, bullying, and many other issues. All while being able to tell good stories - it is in fact the most popular comics title in Sweden.