Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    No-one is asking for Wonder Woman to provide educational pamphlets that provide detailed discussions on intersectionality theory or a study of the mechanisms on how issues and grievances raised by women are either silenced or turned into that the women are the problem.

But the comic should and could be able to show examples of instances where intersectionality becomes an issue, or how women are silenced, or the way women are turned into the problem. And Diana's (or other characters) opposition and reaction to that development. That is simply good story-telling that draws on the parameters of Diana's background, taking into account the intents of the creator, the way the character has been and is interpreted by the public, and the current issues of today.

Being Swedish, I grew up on Bamse, and that comic aimed at kids up to age 10 or so have tackled racism, sexism, ableism, neuropsychiatric issues, prejudice, the Holocaust, drugs, bullying, and many other issues. All while being able to tell good stories - it is in fact the most popular comics title in Sweden.
    Nothing wrong with exploring the issue women suffer in the past and still suffer to this day. You just need to add a bit of sophistication to those issues because Marston's view of feminism hasn't aged well. If anything it has been taken to the extreme as some women demand outright dominion. I wouldn't mind Wonder Woman tackling the idea that women believe that to be the equal of men they can't marry or what not. I just like to write character driven stories because those do give more chances for fleshing out. i'm just interested in the possibilities of bringing Wonder Woman to life more to make more independent of the ideals that started her. Of course to do that you need to improve on what came before of course.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-19-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Nothing wrong with exploring the issue women suffer in the past and still suffer to this day. You just need to add a bit of sophistication to those issues because Marston's view of feminism hasn't aged well
    Except for some references to them in an out of continuity story by Grant Morrison, Marston's view of feminism hasn't been a part of Wonder Woman comics since the 1940's.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

- Keep Wonder Woman in Washington D.C
    - I would end all references to the circumstances of her birth period, and keep Zeus dead for a good long while. She's just Diana and her mother is Hippolyta. I wouldn't bring the clay birth back at this point because that would still be a tedious exercise in messing with her origin, but I wouldn't constantly discuss her demigod origins either.
    - Have a mini-series or one shot that sorts out Donna Troy's crap once and for all. Some variation of her pre-Crisis origin would be ideal, with somebody else besides Diana bringing her to Themyscira as an infant but otherwise left untouched. Have it be Aphrodite, Athena or Rhea or somebody. She leaves the island shortly after Diana does to become Wonder Girl, and hasn't been back since. Whatever present day story that allows the "nobody can reach Themyscira" thing to come to an end will be the first story where Hippolyta is reunited with her daughters. Keep pretending the New 52 Donna, and Hell the Rebirth Donna in the Titans, never happened.
    - I'm "meh" on Cassie, but she should be around in some capacity. I have no problem with making her Diana's younger half sister, because Donna would still fill the role of being raised by Diana's mother. If people want to differentiate the origin, have Hercules be her dad after hooking up with Helena Sandsmark while he was using whatever alias he had at the time.Have her be in line with the show version.
    - Make Amazon technology more explicit. It was mentioned in Year One, but kind of vague.
    - Jason is killed off. Diana lets out an anguished "NOOOOOOOOO," and we cut to Paradise Island and Hippolyta watching it through her Magic Sphere. She sheds a single tear. Issue ends, and Jason is never spoken of again.
    - Continue to build the complicated dynamics between the villains while revamping others. Have Cale continue to recruit and build up the classic Villainy Inc team, sans Cheetah. Cheetah, meanwhile, should still be gunning for Cale, and maybe striking a bargain with Circe to find ways to alleviate her curse, allowing her to revert to human form for brief periods. Follow up on whatever it was Circe wanted Izzy's blood for. What's up with Dr. Cyber; has Adrianna cut ties with Cale completely or is she still willing to work with her? Or should we see that's in addition to being the digital goddess she is, has she built a global terrorist organization like she did pre-Crisis?
    - Reveal that Etta attended Holliday College, and bring in a new generation of Holliday Girls to go on adventures with Diana and Etta. Have Etta say "Woo woo!" once and a while.
    - New characters sprinkled here and there, but utilizing the vast collection of neglected elements in Wonder Woman lore would get priority.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    - Keep Wonder Woman in Washington D.C
    - I would end all references to the circumstances of her birth period, and keep Zeus dead for a good long while. She's just Diana and her mother is Hippolyta. I wouldn't bring the clay birth back at this point because that would still be a tedious exercise in messing with her origin, but I wouldn't constantly discuss her demigod origins either.
    - Have a mini-series or one shot that sorts out Donna Troy's crap once and for all. Some variation of her pre-Crisis origin would be ideal, with somebody else besides Diana bringing her to Themyscira as an infant but otherwise left untouched. Have it be Aphrodite, Athena or Rhea or somebody. She leaves the island shortly after Diana does to become Wonder Girl, and hasn't been back since. Whatever present day story that allows the "nobody can reach Themyscira" thing to come to an end will be the first story where Hippolyta is reunited with her daughters. Keep pretending the New 52 Donna, and Hell the Rebirth Donna in the Titans, never happened.
    - I'm "meh" on Cassie, but she should be around in some capacity. I have no problem with making her Diana's younger half sister, because Donna would still fill the role of being raised by Diana's mother. If people want to differentiate the origin, have Hercules be her dad after hooking up with Helena Sandsmark while he was using whatever alias he had at the time.Have her be in line with the show version.
    - Make Amazon technology more explicit. It was mentioned in Year One, but kind of vague.
    - Jason is killed off. Diana lets out an anguished "NOOOOOOOOO," and we cut to Paradise Island and Hippolyta watching it through her Magic Sphere. She sheds a single tear. Issue ends, and Jason is never spoken of again.
    - Continue to build the complicated dynamics between the villains while revamping others. Have Cale continue to recruit and build up the classic Villainy Inc team, sans Cheetah. Cheetah, meanwhile, should still be gunning for Cale, and maybe striking a bargain with Circe to find ways to alleviate her curse, allowing her to revert to human form for brief periods. Follow up on whatever it was Circe wanted Izzy's blood for. What's up with Dr. Cyber; has Adrianna cut ties with Cale completely or is she still willing to work with her? Or should we see that's in addition to being the digital goddess she is, has she built a global terrorist organization like she did pre-Crisis?
    - Reveal that Etta attended Holliday College, and bring in a new generation of Holliday Girls to go on adventures with Diana and Etta. Have Etta say "Woo woo!" once and a while.
    - New characters sprinkled here and there, but utilizing the vast collection of neglected elements in Wonder Woman lore would get priority.
    I'm surprised anyone would want to keep the demigod origin for Wonder Woman personally I don't mind it sounds more interesting than the clay one so I would keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Except for some references to them in an out of continuity story by Grant Morrison, Marston's view of feminism hasn't been a part of Wonder Woman comics since the 1940's.
    Yes I forgot about that but no one really wants to bring it back into continuity.

I'm surprised anyone would want to keep the demigod origin for Wonder Woman personally I don't mind it sounds more interesting than the clay one so I would keep it.
    The reason why a lot of people object to Diana being changed from sculpted from clay to being Zeus's daughter is that it moves the focus from Diana being strong because she was raised and nurtured by women, to that she is strong because of her father. As such, it diminishes the abilities of her mother and the Amazons in raising a superhero. The original origin also gave a hard counter to making Diana's life all about the men around her.

By switching over to Zeus, that was removed, and now she's got a brother as well, who more or less seems to be taking over the focus from Diana herself.

To that, I can add that Zeus from a feminist standpoint is a thoroughly unpleasant figure, that readily forced himself on and raped every woman he could get his hands on, including his future wife Hera after she first rejected him.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm not wild about it. I've gotten used to the idea of Diana having a biological father and even prefer it to the clay birth. Hercules is my ideal choice, as he makes much more sense than Zeus what with already being tied to the origins of the DC Amazons (which is based on the 12 Labors myth, so Hippolyta already has a massive connection with him in actual Greek myth), but I can tolerate Zeus.

If DC wants to keep it, I'm fine with them doing it provided they just stop talking her damn birth already.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The reason why a lot of people object to Diana being changed from sculpted from clay to being Zeus's daughter is that it moves the focus from Diana being strong because she was raised and nurtured by women, to that she is strong because of her father. As such, it diminishes the abilities of her mother and the Amazons in raising a superhero. The original origin also gave a hard counter to making Diana's life all about the men around her.

By switching over to Zeus, that was removed, and now she's got a brother as well, who more or less seems to be taking over the focus from Diana herself.

To that, I can add that Zeus from a feminist standpoint is a thoroughly unpleasant figure, that readily forced himself on and raped every woman he could get his hands on, including his future wife Hera after she first rejected him.
    Hey even with the demigod origin her mother remains a strong influence and in the old continuity her powers came not just from goddesses but also from Hermes. No one to my knowledge anyway has complained about that. Also don't blame the origin for why Diana isn't getting the right focus in her book. Blame the fact the writer doesn't know how to write with balance.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm not wild about it. I've gotten used to the idea of Diana having a biological father and even prefer it to the clay birth. Hercules is my ideal choice, as he makes much more sense than Zeus what with already being tied to the origins of the DC Amazons (which is based on the 12 Labors myth, so Hippolyta already has a massive connection with him in actual Greek myth), but I can tolerate Zeus.

If DC wants to keep it, I'm fine with them doing it provided they just stop talking her damn birth already.
    What's remarkable I think there were some people who were interested in the possibility of Diana being Hercules's daughter not sure why probably because of the romantic relationship between Hippolyta and Hercules in Post-Crisis even after burying him under a mountain as punishment she still liked him for some reason. But the idea of Diana being Hercules's daughter would have probably made people less angry because in terms of raw power he and the Amazons are about equal there. And as kjn put people would be not feel like the emphasis would be on her father not her mother.

BANNED

I am not attached to the demi-god origin, I'm just very strongly opposed to the clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I am not attached to the demi-god origin, I'm just very strongly opposed to the clay origin.
    Why do you dislike the clay origin that's the first time i ever heard anyone here at least say they do not like it.

• I'd use a continuity that's a combination of Perez, Jiminez, Rucka and Simone runs.

• The Amazons would have some origin similar to the Wonder Woman: Warbringer novel and integrate other mythologies from into Themyscira. They wouldn't have been trying to run man's world but simply arguing to be treated as equals.

• Their powers could be some combination of training and magic but there would be a difference between fighter Amazons and mage Amazons.

• Zeus, Poseidon, Apollo and Heracles would have a more villainous role. Ares and Athena would be more like they were under Rucka the first time.
    • The clay origin would return.

• Hippolyta and Phillipus would be married.

• Nubia and Donna would be Diana's sisters with Nubia being Phillipus' daughter and Donna being adopted.

• Donna would have her pre-crisis origin with the exception of her being from the Philippines instead of the U.S.

• Artemis could get a spin off book with the Hellenders who'd return.

• Zara would reimagined as an Ifrit.

• Giganta would be one of the giants from mythology.

• There's be a spinoff book starring Zara, Giganta, Medusa, Arachne and a few others in Boston.

• Nubia would be a member of the JLI.

• I guess the Amazons would have to meet Deilan Peng at some point.

• Cassie Sandsmark would be back. Don't know if I'd make her Zeus' daughter or not. But Heracles would also be a major enemy for her.

• Steve and Etta would be part of Argus which deals myth and magic based conflicts. Akila would join as a member to further show the Amazons reintegrating into society.

• Akila would have skill in engineering, biology and magic.

Last edited by Agent Z; 04-21-2018 at 03:13 AM.

I've got some ideas. Very few new ones though.

For the regular cast - that means every or every other issue - I would go back to Azzarello's 'Diana's Army' model. It was simple, practical and efficient, as well as interesting. It gave the supporting regulars (at the time: Zola, Queen Hera, Lennox, Orion, Lord Hermes) ..something to do in the comic.

My regular cast would represent nearly every significant era in WW's long history. It would feature the leading lady, Diana, fighting the forces of darkness, with the help of Etta Candy, Steve Trevor, Mala and Ferdinand - each gifted, with a unique skill or talent that often proves useful on Diana's adventures. Etta and Steve are primarily soldiers - Steve also having useful military connections - while Mala is a scientist, and Ferdinand is reimagined, as Diana's expert in mysticism and ancient civilizations.

I think adding Mala to the regular cast, which means getting her OFF the island, indefinitely, is important. It gives Wonder Woman a confidante, in the regular cast, who connects her to the Amazons, ..AND, who understands Diana's Amazon beliefs and motivations. I also think Mala's sunny optimism challenges Etta's gritty, gung-ho attitude. Between Etta and Mala, the more hopeful and fiercer aspects of Diana's personality are challenged and reflected. I think Diana needs that, and the comic needs that.

The 'Army' cast model would also make Steve firmly part of a narrative that revolves around Wonder Woman. I think there is presently a lot of confusion about Steve's proper role in the WW comic. I think I know a way to fix that, permanently.

The idea of Steve and Wonder Woman, as co-heroes would be over. As the most capable member in the new Army, whatever is going on with Diana and her needs will always determine how Steve is used in a story and, more importantly, how much or little we see of him. Steve and Diana, and in that order, will never again be co-heroes in the WW comic. Diana is the star; the comic will revolve around her, and the very impressive Steve, soldier and lover, will help her fix something in her story, before going back to his life, doing interesting things for ARGUS that Diana doesn't always agree with. Again...Steve is Diana's angel, who pops out of a figurative genie bottle, does his thing and climbs back in, until Diana actually calls him or a writer decides she needs him - that would be the operative Diana-Steve (in that order) dynamic.

Furthermore, much of Steve's panel-time, more than ever before, would be spent interacting and playing off of the other regulars, whose personalities will conflict or compliment his own - Etta's recklessness, Mala's blind optimism, so forth...so on. That's less time to stare in Diana's eyes, apoplectically mumbling, "Angel this--angel that," ..and thank God.

That's how I think I'd handle the Steve problem.

I would also base the cast in a colorfully iconic and fictional city, from which Wonder Woman's adventures could be launched - Washington, DC's fictional neighbor, ..a new Georgetown. This Georgetown would basically be a super-Washington, combining elements of real-life DC, Arlington AND Annapolis, ..with oversized monuments, uniformed military personnel and beatnik artists on every corner, military machines in its harbors and town squares, ..and ARGUS Central Command, at its center! Etta may already have a house there, and after some supervillain blows it to bits, she can move in with Diana - with Diana's arsenal, Mala's workshop, Ferdinand's study, a few trophies and an Invisible Jet, all under one roof! More than anything else, Georgetown and Diana's brownstone would serve as a launching pad for the leading lady's adventures, which would often find her in far-off lands, alien worlds, other dimensions, lost civilizations, time warps and mystical realms! Once in a while...

Even to Paradise Island! After Diana's frequent visits there to confer with the Queen, the Island would become a far-off locale we would all be waiting to return to, ..because my WW comic would NEVER revolve around what's going on, there. Paradise Island and the Amazons deserve a separate comic, in which to unfold rambling epic stories, with little or nothing to do with the familiar, mortal world around it. I would try to make the prospect of Sensational World of Wonder Woman an irresistible venture for DC's execs - the TWO-comic Solution that I'm always whining about.

Oh...if only I was clever, imaginative and disciplined enough to pull all of this off. Now, that ..would be a story, in itself! LOL
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I've got some ideas. Very few new ones though.

For the regular cast - that means every or every other issue - I would go back to Azzarello's 'Diana's Army' model. It was simple, practical and efficient, as well as interesting. It gave the supporting regulars (at the time: Zola, Queen Hera, Lennox, Orion, Lord Hermes) ..something to do in the comic.

My regular cast would represent nearly every significant era in WW's long history. It would feature the leading lady, Diana, fighting the forces of darkness, with the help of Etta Candy, Steve Trevor, Mala and Ferdinand - each gifted, with a unique skill or talent that often proves useful on Diana's adventures. Etta and Steve are primarily soldiers - Steve also having useful military connections - while Mala is a scientist, and Ferdinand is reimagined, as Diana's expert in mysticism and ancient civilizations.

I think adding Mala to the regular cast, which means getting her OFF the island, indefinitely, is important. It gives Wonder Woman a confidante, in the regular cast, who connects her to the Amazons, ..AND, who understands Diana's Amazon beliefs and motivations. I also think Mala's sunny optimism challenges Etta's gritty, gung-ho attitude. Between Etta and Mala, the more hopeful and fiercer aspects of Diana's personality are challenged and reflected. I think Diana needs that, and the comic needs that.

The 'Army' cast model would also make Steve firmly part of a narrative that revolves around Wonder Woman. I think there is presently a lot of confusion about Steve's proper role in the WW comic. I think I know a way to fix that, permanently.

The idea of Steve and Wonder Woman, as co-heroes would be over. As the most capable member in the new Army, whatever is going on with Diana and her needs will always determine how Steve is used in a story and, more importantly, how much or little we see of him. Steve and Diana, and in that order, will never again be co-heroes in the WW comic. Diana is the star; the comic will revolve around her, and the very impressive Steve, soldier and lover, will help her fix something in her story, before going back to his life, doing interesting things for ARGUS that Diana doesn't always agree with. Again...Steve is Diana's angel, who pops out of a figurative genie bottle, does his thing and climbs back in, until Diana actually calls him or a writer decides she needs him - that would be the operative Diana-Steve (in that order) dynamic.

Furthermore, much of Steve's panel-time, more than ever before, would be spent interacting and playing off of the other regulars, whose personalities will conflict or compliment his own - Etta's recklessness, Mala's blind optimism, so forth...so on. That's less time to stare in Diana's eyes, apoplectically mumbling, "Angel this--angel that," ..and thank God.

That's how I think I'd handle the Steve problem.

I would also base the cast in a colorfully iconic and fictional city, from which Wonder Woman's adventures could be launched - Washington, DC's fictional neighbor, ..a new Georgetown. This Georgetown would basically be a super-Washington, combining elements of real-life DC, Arlington AND Annapolis, ..with oversized monuments, uniformed military personnel and beatnik artists on every corner, military machines in its harbors and town squares, ..and ARGUS Central Command, at its center! Etta may already have a house there, and after some supervillain blows it to bits, she can move in with Diana - with Diana's arsenal, Mala's workshop, Ferdinand's study, a few trophies and an Invisible Jet, all under one roof! More than anything else, Georgetown and Diana's brownstone would serve as a launching pad for the leading lady's adventures, which would often find her in far-off lands, alien worlds, other dimensions, lost civilizations, time warps and mystical realms! Once in a while...

Even to Paradise Island! After Diana's frequent visits there to confer with the Queen, the Island would become a far-off locale we would all be waiting to return to, ..because my WW comic would NEVER revolve around what's going on, there. Paradise Island and the Amazons deserve a separate comic, in which to unfold rambling epic stories, with little or nothing to do with the familiar, mortal world around it. I would try to make the prospect of Sensational World of Wonder Woman an irresistible venture for DC's execs - the TWO-comic Solution that I'm always whining about.

Oh...if only I was clever, imaginative and disciplined enough to pull all of this off. Now, that ..would be a story, in itself! LOL
    Perhaps you could alter Steve and Diana's dynamic instead of Steve falling for Diana on first sight he starts as a soldier who is too busy to maintain a steady love life and thus feels no interest in Diana at least not at first. And Steve and Diana start as rivals which begins when Steve saves Diana from danger which makes her feel competitive towards him. That's how i would update his and Diana's dynamic.

Perhaps you could alter Steve and Diana's dynamic instead of Steve falling for Diana on first sight he starts as a soldier who is too busy to maintain a steady love life and thus feels no interest in Diana at least not at first. And Steve and Diana start as rivals which begins when Steve saves Diana from danger which makes her feel competitive towards him. That's how i would update his and Diana's dynamic.
    We're in total agreement on keeping Steve busy-busy.

We'd see Steve leaving, a lot, in my comic. We would see him joining the adventure, following Diana's lead into action (99% of the time) and, when it's all over, ..leaving Diana and the Army behind him. We'd see Steve leaving the brownstone, the battlefield,...Diana's bedroom. [Woo'woo!] Sometimes, Diana, infuriated with something he's done, should kick him right out of the I-Jet..."Get out! Go!"

There's always that special story, when one of the regular players gets to shine in a story, in which they take the lead. Once in a while, we'd throw Steve, Etta, Ferdinand and Mala, a bone. My Steve would have that occasional story, ..but, it would be not be that occasional, if you know what I mean.

Bye-bye, Steve. Come back, when you're useful and interesting, again!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-21-2018 at 01:06 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!