Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Points of interest you’d like to see on Themyscira

I’ve always thought of Themyscira as a fairly large island and as an archipelago with many micro environments - mountains, a jungle/rainforest, temperate forests, plains/savanna - all fairly temperate and paradisiacal in their own right. Themyscira also has a host of flora and fauna that thrive in these environments, as well as a myriad of non-human-sentient mythical animals - kangas, griffins, pegasi, unicorns, hippocampi, etc.

My version also has Doom’s Doorway and Transformation Island as points of interest.

What’s your ideal Themyscira look like and what additional points of interest would you like to see developed on the island for Amazon adventures?

Any secret grottos or hidden mountaintop temples? Is there more than one city on the island?

Cyclops Caves, Centaur Village, Garden of the Hesperides, Dryad Forest, Nereid Lagoon

And yes, a secret shrine deeeeeeeep underground to the Goddess of Blood.

Not so much for adventures but for flavor, I'd love to see artists, farmers, librarians and such. It's what was sorely missing from the Azzarello run and that I would like to see re-established - that there is more depth to the Amazons than fighting/hunting/killing.

I thought the movie actually did a nice job in the opening shots of showing a market with crafts and such. Just simple stuff like that

I'm really surprised Doom's Doorway has been so dreadfully underutilized. There could be a lot of fun had in exploring what kind of menaces are imprisoned there.

And I agree with Gaelforce, I'd love to see a mix of professions with the Amazons rather than just warriors.

I'd like to see :

A Museum dedicated to the Amazonian Arts and Culture.

A planetarium and an observatory dedicated to astronomy and the obsertasion of space.

Workshops where the Amazons craft, design and invent things.

An opera/Coliseum.

A University with a lot of scrolls and books.

Restaurants with different kinds of food, shops, market...

I also think some parts of the Island (maybe an archipelago like you said?) could be ever changing, like the topography in itself magically reshap itself. It could be a challenge for the Amazons cartographers. It could also bring good or bad "things".

Hey, and why not mines and excavation sites for "crypto-paleonthology"

It should be a place of wonder and mystery where the unexpected can happen.
    Last edited by WonderSpace; 04-25-2018 at 08:14 AM.

That it’s inhabitants aren’t just the amazons and it’s just the amazons that are only women the rest are male and female. They have a government or some kind of way to make sure all of the inhabitants are fairly treated.

Largely what Gaelforce said. They need some form of cults around the Olympians (with Hestia but arguably without Dionysos) and at least Persephone. Libraries, schools, and some form of academy centered around discussion. Artisans, farmers, artists, soldiers: I imagine the amazons put great focus on being able to master many different forms of skills and learning. Some form of hospital. Basically, every public building will likely be dedicated to one or more gods, eg the hospital to Apollo, the academy to Athena, and so on.

Small shrines in just about every building, and arguably at least one large temple for communal worship, probably with Aphrodite and Athena featured prominently. They likely have some form of Oracle somewhere (likely of Dione, ie Rhea or Gaia), and an observatory of the stars.

You also need some form of government structure outside of queen Hippolyta, likely some form of council of advisors and some form of judicial system.

I'm not sure how the Magic Sphere should be handled.

ETA: Oh! How about Themyscira being somewhat decoupled from not only space (in that it will change geographic location from time to time) but also from time, meaning it will have picked up a nice variety of prehistoric animals. That can also easily explain why it isn't possible to reach Themyscira at all times.
    Last edited by kjn; 04-25-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Impressive rock-cut structures with intricate tile work, a dining hall, a library, a symposium, a theater, a bathhouse, lagoons, waterfalls, forests teeming with wildlife, fantastic animals, giant fruit-bearing sequoia trees, poppy fields, vines, farms and a statue of Aphrodite overlooking the city

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Cyclops Caves, Centaur Village, Garden of the Hesperides, Dryad Forest, Nereid Lagoon

And yes, a secret shrine deeeeeeeep underground to the Goddess of Blood.
    Interesting CRaymond...for some reason I'm so against having other human-level sentient species and beings on the island. I think it stems from wanting the Amazons to be alone and unique as opposed to interacting with other cultures on the island.

Interesting ideas though, nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Not so much for adventures but for flavor, I'd love to see artists, farmers, librarians and such. It's what was sorely missing from the Azzarello run and that I would like to see re-established - that there is more depth to the Amazons than fighting/hunting/killing.

I thought the movie actually did a nice job in the opening shots of showing a market with crafts and such. Just simple stuff like that
    Definitely something that I appreciated about the Perez run. I'd love to see artists, farmers, librarians, scientists, mechanics, engineers, healers, technologists, sorceresses, oracles, etc. too. Really dig into the different professions that abound on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'm really surprised Doom's Doorway has been so dreadfully underutilized. There could be a lot of fun had in exploring what kind of menaces are imprisoned there.

And I agree with Gaelforce, I'd love to see a mix of professions with the Amazons rather than just warriors.
    Me too - I think of Dooms Doorway as staple aspect of the island. There are a lot of ways you can go with it in terms of what's encased behind it and where Doom's Doorway leads to when you explore it - which Perez kind of dove into with Tartarus and the Underworld, etc. It's kind of the opposite of Olympus to me in some ways.

Considering I'd like to see the return of Transformation Island as a juxtaposition of Blackgate, Belle Reve, Arkham Asylum, Iron Heights, and the Phantom Zone, there's also something there I'd like to explore in terms of it's main goal compared to Doom's Doorway which is kind of a prison in and of itself. One one hand the Amazons have prisoners locked and on the other hand they have a rehabilitation facility for Diana's villains or other villains to dangerous to house in the other prisons I mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderSpace View Post
    I'd like to see :

A Museum dedicated to the Amazonian Arts and Culture.

A planetarium and an observatory dedicated to astronomy and the obsertasion of space.

Workshops where the Amazons craft, design and invent things.

An opera/Coliseum.

A University with a lot of scrolls and books.

Restaurants with different kinds of food, shops, market...

I also think some parts of the Island (maybe an archipelago like you said?) could be ever changing, like the topography in itself magically reshap itself. It could be a challenge for the Amazons cartographers. It could also bring good or bad "things".

Hey, and why not mines and excavation sites for "crypto-paleonthology"

It should be a place of wonder and mystery where the unexpected can happen.
    Love all these ideas WonderSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    That it’s inhabitants aren’t just the amazons and it’s just the amazons that are only women the rest are male and female. They have a government or some kind of way to make sure all of the inhabitants are fairly treated.
    As I responded to CRaymond, for some reason I'm against other human-like sentient species or beings on the island. I like the limitation of the Amazons having being hidden away for all these years onto themselves only and not other cultures.

While I tend to make my version of the Amazons as advanced in technology, etc., I still like them separated for millennia from the dynamics of male/female societies that other species would display to them. It makes for some pros/cons for being isolated that way for so long that I'd like to explore in stories of them interacting with Patriarch's World again and how Diana's leadership and adventures kind of closes any gaps in understanding that might come up from their isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Largely what Gaelforce said. They need some form of cults around the Olympians (with Hestia but arguably without Dionysos) and at least Persephone. Libraries, schools, and some form of academy centered around discussion. Artisans, farmers, artists, soldiers: I imagine the amazons put great focus on being able to master many different forms of skills and learning. Some form of hospital. Basically, every public building will likely be dedicated to one or more gods, eg the hospital to Apollo, the academy to Athena, and so on.

Small shrines in just about every building, and arguably at least one large temple for communal worship, probably with Aphrodite and Athena featured prominently. They likely have some form of Oracle somewhere (likely of Dione, ie Rhea or Gaia), and an observatory of the stars.

You also need some form of government structure outside of queen Hippolyta, likely some form of council of advisors and some form of judicial system.

I'm not sure how the Magic Sphere should be handled.

ETA: Oh! How about Themyscira being somewhat decoupled from not only space (in that it will change geographic location from time to time) but also from time, meaning it will have picked up a nice variety of prehistoric animals. That can also easily explain why it isn't possible to reach Themyscira at all times.
    I agree - some great ideas kjn.

I'm also trying to think of some more destinations, like Doom's Doorway or Transformation Island, that make sense to include. Those are two of the big ones to me, but perhaps a temple, high in the mountains for the oracles. Accessible by climbing, or Amazon mechanical transportation or by a pegasus.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    Impressive rock-cut structures with intricate tile work, a dining hall, a library, a symposium, a theater, a bathhouse, lagoons, waterfalls, forests teeming with wildlife, fantastic animals, giant fruit-bearing sequoia trees, poppy fields, vines, farms and a statue of Aphrodite overlooking the city
    Sounds beautiful!