Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Hopefully the new creative team will give Diana a personal life this time! And great sense of fashion.

If this means the return of the Diana Prince ID, I'm all for it. If it's just Wonder Woman without her costume frequenting rock bars, forget it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    If Johns was handling Grail I think she would have come out a lot better because usually and I repeat usually creators know how to get their own characters right.
    I think Grail without the AE thing is pretty dull. Johns seems to understand that.

Grail can still be an important and recurring WW villain, but, she needs skilled writer to keep her agenda in front of us. She's the death of free will for all sentient life in the universe - that's anti-life - and that should always make her of primary interest to Wonder Woman and Jason.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-17-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I haven't given up on Grail. Her flaw is that she's one-dimensional. But there's been one-dimensional characters that have been around for decades that only took the right writer to break them out. Look at a character like Black Hand for instance. She's only existed a few years. She's by no means a lost cause.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-17-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I haven't given up on Grail. Her flaw is that she's one-dimensional. But there's been one-dimensional characters that have been around for decades that only took the right writer to break them out. Look at a character like Black Hand for instance. She's only existed a few years. She's by no means a lost cause.
    Being Darkseid's only daughter will keep her around, and someone could eventually flesh her out. But I think to do so would mean having Grail go off on her own agenda, not being just a tool for Darkseid.

I agree. Someone will have to ensconse her more in in WW's lore in specific and distance her from her New God heritage, if only to develop the stronger association with her rogue's gallery. Then give her a personality beyond just doing Darkseid's will and giving her individual motivations.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

If Jason finding out his purpose in #50, means we're STUCK with him in this comic, until JULY, ..this is very, very bad news. I think Jason should have been out of the comic and settled into Herc's cottage, in Elexinore, TEN issues ago. I haven't read the solicits for Issues #45-50, ..but, I hope we get a break from him, somewhere in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I agree. Someone will have to ensconse her more in in WW's lore in specific and distance her from her New God heritage, if only to develop the stronger association with her rogue's gallery. Then give her a personality beyond just doing Darkseid's will and giving her individual motivations.
    I think Grail needs something personal between her and Diana.

What could happen, between her and Diana, that changes the game for Grail, like ..FORVER? Maybe, if Wonder Woman ripped out the organ that allows her to physically contain the AE, causing Darkseid to discard or disown her, forever, ..that might heat things up. Maybe, if Wonder Woman did something that stranded her on Earth, forever, or that prevented her from returning to Apokolips, ..that might put the archenemy bug in Grail's bonnet. [Woo'woo!] It's gotta' be something big and final, I think - something unforgivable that can't be fixed.

Wow! You're right, SK. That sounds exciting. I'd love to see some skilled writer try something, like that.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 04-17-2018 at 08:36 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yes but he missed three prime opportunities to use the lasso, first on Silver Swan to dispel her insanity or find out the secrets of her transformation, then on Jason when he returned with his new armor and amnesia and again to find out Darkseid's plans from the Furies. We also can't forget how Grail was able to escape the lasso due to her Amazon/New God heritage. That shouldn't have happened, especially when it's been used on other Amazons as well as Fourth World denizens before with expected results.

My faith in Robinson's writing has been shattered, it's sad to watch the once mighty fall.
    Yes there are holes tremendous plot holes but I think the only reason why Robinson neglected to use the lasso on Silver Swan was probably to conceal Doctor Psycho's involvement to avoid spoiling what will happen. The lasso is a very tricky tool to use.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

The DARK GODS, now...sounds so heavy. They're coming to Earth, in WW #46, too. This comic gets too heavy, too much, I think. I was hoping the solicits would tell us that Diana, Etta, Steve and Ferdinand will be hopping in the I-Jet to go kick over some other-dimensional empires, ..for a change. Fun, fun, fun - but, no...

Now, it's Dark Gods. [Long groan.]

Maybe, I'm feeling that way, because I've watched Thor: Ragnarok, two or three times on Fios, this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The DARK GODS, now...sounds so heavy. They're coming to Earth, in WW #46, too. This comic gets too heavy, too much, I think. I was hoping the solicits would tell us that Diana, Etta, Steve and Ferdinand will be hopping in the I-Jet to go kick over some other-dimensional empires, ..for a change. Fun, fun, fun - but, no...

Maybe, I'm feeling that way, because I've watched Thor: Ragnarok, two or three times on Fios, this week.

I'm beyond sick of Diana fighting gods. Old gods, New Gods, Irish Gods, Dark Multiverse Gods........Diana needs some variety in her opponents more often.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm beyond sick of Diana fighting gods. Old gods, New Gods, Irish Gods, Dark Multiverse Gods........Diana needs some variety in her opponents more often.
    This!
    I can literally show hundreds of scans and panels of WW fighting gods, monsters and stuff like that. They definitely need to jump out of their comfort zone and try new things with WW more often. Because doing the same thing for years gets boring fast.
    Last edited by greymoon; 04-26-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    This!
    I can literally show hundreds of scans and panels of WW fighting gods, monsters and stuff like that. They definitely need to jump out of their comfort zone and try new things with WW more often. Because doing the same thing for years gets boring fast.
    Between the gods and generic Greek monsters, I feel like I'm reading a Greek myth most of the time with this book. The Silver Swan was a nice change of pace as were the cameos by Zara, Blue Snowman, and Anglette but we need more of those kind of villains instead of gods X, Y, and Z with random Greek myth monsters.

Superman has plenty of non-alien adversaries that give him a challenge(even though it may or may not be physically) such as Luthor, Bizarro, Parasite, Atomic Skull, Silver Banshee, Toyman, and the Master Jailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Between the gods and generic Greek monsters, I feel like I'm reading a Greek myth most of the time with this book. The Silver Swan was a nice change of pace as were the cameos by Zara, Blue Snowman, and Anglette but we need more of those kind of villains instead of gods X, Y, and Z with random Greek myth monsters.

Superman has plenty of non-alien adversaries that give him a challenge(even though it may or may not be physically) such as Luthor, Bizarro, Parasite, Atomic Skull, Silver Banshee, Toyman, and the Master Jailer.
    The fact that the character has some roots in Greek myth might have something to do with that.

Also, what was good about Robinson's assassination of Vanessa's character or the pathetic and utterly pointless showing Zara, Blue Snowman and Anglette got?

The problem with this run isn't the type of villains Diana has faced but the quality of the writing. Fontana's run didn't feature any God villains and look how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post

Maybe people will have "fun" reading about the dark gods? Fun isn't just looney tunes slapstick.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The fact that the character has some roots in Greek myth might have something to do with that.

Also, what was good about Robinson's assassination of Vanessa's character or the pathetic and utterly pointless showing Zara, Blue Snowman and Anglette got?

The problem with this run isn't the type of villains Diana has faced but the quality of the writing. Fontana's run didn't feature any God villains and look how that turned out.

True but Fontana's run featured another flaw that Wonder Woman writers are notorious for, more new villains than established ones. The flimsy plot didn't help either.

Darkseid without the Kirby motivations, AE, is basically a big, grayish purole Luthor.