Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

I know people here are angry that Robinson fumbled with handling Wonder Woman and her supporting cast but I am a believer of giving credit where credit is. Due To start at least Robinson didn't flat out ignore what Rucka established from the beginning and I would say he adhered to it more strongly than Fontana and unlike her he didn't simply make new villains. His portrayal of Veronica Cale was far more villainous even Rucka's which was so sympathetic I found myself wondering why are you still a villain woman? He brought back Doctor Psycho which opens the door to more interesting stories at least.. And despite doing little with them he at least bothered to update Blue Snowman and Zara. And say while his treatment of Vanessa Kapatelis and Julia is hated however I see no point in Julia existing when Helena Sandsmark pretty much plays a similar role and thanks to Cassie's role as Wonder Girl she feels more relevant that Julia. And on the bright side there is enough elbow room to re-establish the friendship between Vanessa and Diana they just need to show it not tell it to give it more weight. All that he did to majority of Diana's villains is obviously a rare occurrence and we should be grateful for that.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-27-2018 at 01:42 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

We don't know how much of Robinson's run is stuff editorial mandated for him, and how much is his own work. I'd wager he got the job in part because he was willing to finish Johns' plot threads. To his credit nothing in his run has really upset me, but nothing has excited me either. It all feels very much like he's writing for a paycheck, he doesn't really care, but Fontana was just as boring and she didn't utilize the gods at all. What I want for Diana is someone who comes onto the title who will respect what came before, but also be willing to really push forward. You might not like King's Batman, but he has a plan, and he's working towards it. Bendis seems to have a plan for Superman, we'll see if he can actually execute, but it makes me hopeful for his run.

Where's that for Diana? Someone who loves WW rogues and wants to use them? Who intends to focus on DIANA, not her brother or her father? Someone who has a 100 issue plan for where they want to take the character? You can't please anyone but right now Diana feels utterly directionless, just treading water. I really hope whoever comes after Orlando can deliver that.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    We don't know how much of Robinson's run is stuff editorial mandated for him, and how much is his own work. I'd wager he got the job in part because he was willing to finish Johns' plot threads. To his credit nothing in his run has really upset me, but nothing has excited me either. It all feels very much like he's writing for a paycheck, he doesn't really care, but Fontana was just as boring and she didn't utilize the gods at all. What I want for Diana is someone who comes onto the title who will respect what came before, but also be willing to really push forward. You might not like King's Batman, but he has a plan, and he's working towards it. Bendis seems to have a plan for Superman, we'll see if he can actually execute, but it makes me hopeful for his run.

Where's that for Diana? Someone who loves WW rogues and wants to use them? Who intends to focus on DIANA, not her brother or her father? Someone who has a 100 issue plan for where they want to take the character? You can't please anyone but right now Diana feels utterly directionless, just treading water. I really hope whoever comes after Orlando can deliver that.
    I see your point though the only ones who could approach her with a plan are not in my favour. But if Scott Snyder is interested in Wonder Woman and he's the new writer it could be a nice change up as if he wants to write for her than he should have the presence of mind to come up with a plan.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-27-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I see your point though the only ones who could approach her with a plan are not in my favour. But if Scott Snyder is interested in Wonder Woman and he's the new writer it could be a nice change up as if he wants to write for her than he should have the presence of mind to come up with a plan.
    Yeah that's the problem isn't it? I don't know who would be a good fit either. I'd like Gail to do another run, but that doesn't seem likely. I'd like a female writer but I'm kind of lukewarm towards ones on DC's current roster. I want a writer who is ambitious, who wants to do for WW what Hickman did for the F4 or Morrison on the JL or Snyder did for Batman. I don't want them to copy those writing styles, but I want that same eagerness to explore every inch of Diana's world, using the old toys in addition to adding new. Rucka's run was that for me, even if some of the modern day plots were a little slow for my liking.

One thing is I still think Diana needs her own editors to make sure she has her own rules to make sure she is consistent

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Yeah that's the problem isn't it? I don't know who would be a good fit either. I'd like Gail to do another run, but that doesn't seem likely. I'd like a female writer but I'm kind of lukewarm towards ones on DC's current roster. I want a writer who is ambitious, who wants to do for WW what Hickman did for the F4 or Morrison on the JL or Snyder did for Batman. I don't want them to copy those writing styles, but I want that same eagerness to explore every inch of Diana's world, using the old toys in addition to adding new. Rucka's run was that for me, even if some of the modern day plots were a little slow for my liking.
    My issue with Rucka is that he has no real love for male characters when he did Superman he made Lois be in the right all the time. He had a prime opportunity to flesh out Steve Trevor and make him into a more impressive character he even gave him a voice but what does he do he has Steve worship Diana throughout the whole stupid issue. It's like he felt okay I just make Steve the guy who can kick butt and pistol whip and that should make people love him more. So Rucka is a no for me but Scott Snyder due to his interest in doing big stories like Endgame and Night of the Owls might be prime for me. And if push comes to shove Geoff Johns for co-writing the Wonder Woman movie that featured a story where both Diana and Steve were evenly handled. I know the more appealing Steve Trevor probably came from Patty Jenkins the director but if they both worked on it Johns must have agreed with Jenkin's vision more. If Johns tried to write Superman to be more like the one from Donnerverse he can definitely write Steve to be more like his film counterpart. And Darkseid War at least proves he is capable of handling Diana to a degree.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-27-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    One thing is I still think Diana needs her own editors to make sure she has her own rules to make sure she is consistent
    That is necessary too.

That is necessary too.
    I mean yes, she only has one book but doesn't Diana deserve to be written better? I mean what's wrong with Dc? They have seen all books outside the main book does well. Shouldn't they allow her to have this same success?

I mean yes, she only has one book but doesn't Diana deserve to be written better? I mean what's wrong with Dc? They have seen all books outside the main book does well. Shouldn't they allow her to have this same success?
    If Scott Snyder can get his hands on Diana it should be worth it because despite being a Batgod proponent he at least handled Wonder Woman well. And being a big name writer he should have tremendous influence to be allowed to write her however he wishes to.

I know people here are angry that Robinson fumbled with handling Wonder Woman and her supporting cast but I am a believer of giving credit where credit is. Due To start at least Robinson didn't flat out ignore what Rucka established from the beginning and I would say he adhered to it more strongly than Fontana and unlike her he didn't simply make new villains. His portrayal of Veronica Cale was far more villainous even Rucka's which was so sympathetic I found myself wondering why are you still a villain woman? He brought back Doctor Psycho which opens the door to more interesting stories at least.. And despite doing little with them he at least bothered to update Blue Snowman and Zara. And say while his treatment of Vanessa Kapatelis and Julia is hated however I see no point in Julia existing when Helena Sandsmark pretty much plays a similar role and thanks to Cassie's role as Wonder Girl she feels more relevant that Julia. And on the bright side there is enough elbow room to re-establish the friendship between Vanessa and Diana they just need to show it not tell it to give it more weight. All that he did to majority of Diana's villains is obviously a rare occurrence and we should be grateful for that.
    I like James Robinson and accept that his run had an agenda - revamp Wonder-rogues, more adventures in Man's World, etc. He seems to have pushed it through, while trying to tell a half-way decent, if, otherwise painfully uneventful, story. I think his biggest gift is plugging Jason into the Wonderverse, of course. Considering how many promising 'male companion' characters have been side-lined and buried in the WW comic, if it took twelve or so issues to give us a permanent one...

Maybe, it was worth the trouble.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I also miss the boomerang tiara toss. Some call it corny, but it wasn't when it made Superman bleed in Sacrifice.
    Never knew Diana had that ability. It's one of Sailor Moon's finishing moves!

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Glad that's over with. The designs of the new pantheon are pretty cool though, but it seems pointless to introduce them as the run is ending. Unless they are more editorially mandated Geoff Johns creations that will be popping up again? At the very least, they look more interesting than Grail*, and I guess we kind of have to hope the next writer will utilize them so we get some consistency.
    The new Pantheon were mentioned in Metal #6 last month, so I think they are editorially mandated.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Boomerang Tiara first apperance on Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Boomerang Tiara first apperance on Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman
    I remember when she used it in Justice Leauge I thought it was great

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The new Pantheon were mentioned in Metal #6 last month, so I think they are editorially mandated.
    Interesting. I wonder if they are Scott Synder creations then?

We might be seeing them in JL, if not the main WW book. And since the Legion of Doom will be appearing in his run, and since he mentioned wanting to write her before, I expect to see at least Cheetah turn up in JL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I like James Robinson and accept that his run had an agenda - revamp Wonder-rogues, more adventures in Man's World, etc. He seems to have pushed it through, while trying to tell a half-way decent, if, otherwise painfully uneventful, story. I think his biggest gift is plugging Jason into the Wonderverse, of course. Considering how many promising 'male companion' characters have been side-lined and buried in the WW comic, if it took twelve or so issues to give us a permanent one...

Maybe, it was worth the trouble.
    It really wasn't.