Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Women of Comic-Con protest sexual harassment

"Women of Comic-Con protest sexual harassment, saying a cute costume isn't the same as consent"

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1881901

This might be contentious, but it is a worthwhile discussion.

Yes women dress provocatively at Conventions. Some for fun, some are paid too. Does anything justify this behavior? (rhetorical question)

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Yes women dress provocatively at Conventions. Some for fun, some are paid too. Does anything justify this behavior? (rhetorical question)
    If you mean the harassment, hell to the no.

It's called personal space. Everyone should be allowed to have it.

Invincible Member

People need to be educated on what sexual harassment is, and then there needs to be real consequences for the perpetrators.

So what if they are dressed provocatively? That still doesn't give you free reign to touch someone you don't know. Look at it this way...you're in the 7-11 and a girl walks in wearing daisy dukes and high heels. Is that an invitation for you the random stranger to grab her? Of course not, but unfortunately some folks will still use this excuse for borderline criminal behavior.

heck, if you go to a strip club, an institution whose whole point is to look at naked women, you still can't touch the dancers. I don't get why some folks think they should be able to get away with it at comic book conventions.

To be clear, my OP was more a description of what some people say about this. Just to start the conversation, not my thoughts on it. Any of this behavior is wrong. And the groping described is at least border line assault.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

*removing part of the post because I was being stupid*

At the same time, there needs to be very explicit rules for harassment with swift, decisive punishments. Making an example of a handful of people on day one will set the tone for the entire con. Everyone has to wear a badge, right? Why not include a barcode on each one, that way Con Personnel can keep track people who violate the rules. Three strikes and you're out for the day. Do it twice at the same con and you get banned for a year. The con really does need to police the halls and make the environment more secure and safe for everyone.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 07-28-2014 at 12:57 AM.

No justification whatsoever.

No, there is absolutely no justification for harassment, It doesn't matter how she was dressed, that's slut-shaming. Now somebody lock this thread before it goes south.

This might be contentious, but it is a worthwhile discussion.
    What is there to discuss other than "don't be a creep"?

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pow! View Post
    What is there to discuss other than "don't be a creep"?
    I guess what should be discussed is what to do about it, and why men think it acceptable.

why men think it acceptable.
    Society condones and supports the behavior at every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    No, there is absolutely no justification for harassment, It doesn't matter how she was dressed, that's slut-shaming. Now somebody lock this thread before it goes south.
    There is no justification for rape or groping but if you dress like Vamperella, people are going to look at you. The same is true if you are running around in a loin cloth cosplaying Tarzan. No one should be allowed to dress in such clothing (or lack there of) at cons. It is patently indecent. I do not care if some artist in the 90's thought two pieces of string looked like a great outfit in a comic, that does not mean you should emulate the clothing and prance around in public.

I get angry every time I see a half naked man walking around with a bunch of women fawning over his six pack. That is just as wrong as men doing the same with half-naked women. Worse, in many ways, because society condones it as both expected and normal.

Create clothing decency rules (for both companies and con-goers) and many of the worst sexual harassment issues would evaporate. From there, it would be far easier to eliminate the less overt harassment issues.

Cons should be like museums: look, but no touching
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Cons should be like museums: look, but no touching
    Hard to do that when companies send so-called "booth girls" out to be groped, which trains people to think of cosplayers and other scantly-clad people as merely objects for their lust and disgusting fantasies. Furthermore, the no touching rule does not stop other kinds of sexual harassment - leering, gawking, cat-calling, stalking, unwanted picture-taking, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    There is no justification for rape or groping but if you dress like Vamperella, people are going to look at you. The same is true if you are running around in a loin cloth cosplaying Tarzan. No one should be allowed to dress in such clothing (or lack there of) at cons. It is patently indecent. I do not care if some artist in the 90's thought two pieces of string looked like a great outfit in a comic, that does not mean you should emulate the clothing and prance around in public.
    Nobody should be allowed? Becasue it offends a few neon-puritans? You have the right to consider things indencet, and other havethe right to l ignore your opinions. IMO opinion youre opinion is more indencent tahn someone walking around nude.

There are laws that say what is allowed in public, as long as those laws are complied with whatever someone else wears is reall none of your business.

Yes tiny costumes are an invitation to look, that is not the problem. But a invitation to look is not the same as a invitation to touch, insult or leer.
    I get angry every time I see a half naked man walking around with a bunch of women fawning over his six pack. That is just as wrong as men doing the same with half-naked women. Worse, in many ways, because society condones it as both expected and normal.
    Those things are very normal, a basic part of human nature, thankfully or there would not a many humans around.
    Create clothing decency rules (for both companies and con-goers) and many of the worst sexual harassment issues would evaporate. From there, it would be far easier to eliminate the less overt harassment issues.
    So punish those that are acting properly so you don't provide poor excuses for men acting improperly. Wouldn't it be better to punish those doing wrong rather than those who are not? Your personal hang-ups are not good reasons to make rules affected others

It's not the same. Guys can enjoy it because we don't go through each day worried about women hurting us. We're the problem, not the victim.