Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    ^ ^ ^

Is this the first post-COIE meeting of Lobo and Superman?
    According to the review, it was not. It says that Lobo must've been drunk when they first met and doesn't remember it.

Been meaning to read it
    BB

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    According to the review, it was not. It says that Lobo must've been drunk when they first met and doesn't remember it.
    I swear I read the review, but I missed this. My eyesight must be going, along with everything else...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

stile86

After Dox "neutered" Lobo he apparently went on a galactic pub crawl. In Superman v2 #41 he meets some aliens that hire him to kill Superman, mostly so they can make money from a recording of the battle using glasses they give to Lobo. He heads off to Earth, already very drunk, and ends up in the Fortress of Solitude (which was in the Antarctic at this stage) with a couple of companions. In Adventures of Superman #464 Superman turns up and tells them to leave. They fight and Lobo seems to be getting the upperhand, especially after he finds some kryptonite. Superman dons a Kryptonian battle suit but then apparently is killed by Lobo who then departs. However Superman (who was being subtly influenced by a Kryptonian device at the time making him colder and logical) used a holographic projector in the battle suit to trick Lobo and is satisfied to have removed him. The final page shows Lobo turning up much later at the same bar, still drunk, where he has totally forgotten about even going to Earth. The aliens get the recording from Lobo but because everyone wearing them was inebriated they reversed the lens so all they have is a recording of a drunk person's eyes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by stile86 View Post
    After Dox "neutered" Lobo he apparently went on a galactic pub crawl. In Superman v2 #41 he meets some aliens that hire him to kill Superman, mostly so they can make money from a recording of the battle using glasses they give to Lobo. He heads off to Earth, already very drunk, and ends up in the Fortress of Solitude (which was in the Antarctic at this stage) with a couple of companions. In Adventures of Superman #464 Superman turns up and tells them to leave. They fight and Lobo seems to be getting the upperhand, especially after he finds some kryptonite. Superman dons a Kryptonian battle suit but then apparently is killed by Lobo who then departs. However Superman (who was being subtly influenced by a Kryptonian device at the time making him colder and logical) used a holographic projector in the battle suit to trick Lobo and is satisfied to have removed him. The final page shows Lobo turning up much later at the same bar, still drunk, where he has totally forgotten about even going to Earth. The aliens get the recording from Lobo but because everyone wearing them was inebriated they reversed the lens so all they have is a recording of a drunk person's eyes.
    Thank you. Nice recap.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of L.E.G.I.O.N. Annual #1 - I admit I was disappointed in this one. After some build-up, this didn't really have much of a payoff between Brainiac and Dox IMO.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...-annual-1.html

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of L.E.G.I.O.N. #19 - Artist Barry Kitson takes a few months off while Lydea Darkstar confronts her mother. Also, Lar Gand gets fired. Artist Jim Fern takes over for several months after Kitson had drawn every monthly issue from the beginning (except for the Annual above). But Kitson would be back around #25 or 26 better than ever.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...ion-90-19.html

Last edited by caj; 01-08-2020 at 06:47 AM.

Big time fan here. In fact was also a huge fan of the Invasion! event that both L.E.G.I.O.N. 89’ and JLE spun out from. Just a great period for DC all around, IMO.

396px-Invasion_1.jpg

Legion of Super Bloggers review of L.E.G.I.O.N. #19 - Artist Barry Kitson takes a few months off while Lydea Darkstar confronts her mother. Also, Lar Gand gets fired. Artist Jim Fern takes over for several months after Kitson had drawn every monthly issue from the beginning (except for the Annual above). But Kitson would be back around #25 or 26 better than ever.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...ion-90-19.html

Jim Fern was.... much better suited to Scarlett, the short lived vampire series that came a couple years after his short L.E.G.I.O.N. run.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

I was a massive fan. LOVED the concept, loved the characters, the storyarcs. So unique--here we'd grown up with decades of Legion history, heroes and villains from the distant future whose stories had been well established, and with L.E.G.I.O.N. we were now able to see the origin points of these characters and places in the current age. I LOVED the reveal about The Durlan, I felt Mon El's role as the founder of the United Planets was fitting. This book is a fond memory for me. (And Stealth...I think I loved Stealth.)
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Jim Fern was.... much better suited to Scarlett, the short lived vampire series that came a couple years after his short L.E.G.I.O.N. run.
    Agree. And after 18 issues, I was very spoiled with Barry Kitson's art. Nothing against Fern, but I was very happy when Kitson returned.

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of L.E.G.I.O.N. #20 - The fallout of Lydea Darkstar's attack.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...ion-90-20.html

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of L.E.G.I.O.N. #21 - The biggest mistake of the entire series in my humble opinion. I'll leave it at that.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...ion-90-21.html

^ ^ ^

A rather uneventful character piece; which is something this book could do so well!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Extraordinary Member

Hopefully, a week from Wednesday, Legion of Super Bloggers will review L.E.G.I.O.N. #23, which finally explains the mystery of 'what happened to the Durlan'. It's a pretty good issue if memory serves.

But CBR also recently covered the other person involved in that switcheroo - Phase. I personally hated the retcon Zero Hour made, but then I hated most things (okay 99.9%) concerning Zero Hour. But it's a nice read:

Warning: Spoiler alert if you never read the book.

https://www.cbr.com/when-phantom-gir...-n-or-did-she/