Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    It was a great book all the way up through #50. Keith Giffen, Alan Grant, and Barry Kitson were superb.

I do think they made a big mistake in killing off one of the main characters (I won't spoil it for those who haven't read it). I know they were clearing the way for a relative to become the better hero, but the writers did too good of a job with the original IMO.
    Yes, it was great, but there was a distinct drop in quality after Grant, Kitson and Co. left. I also didn't care much for R.E.B.E.L.S. vol.01. But I did like Berdard's more recent version. It wasn't quite as great as the original Grant, Giffen and Kitson's run, but it was still, IMHO, enjoyable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    So you weren't a fan of the '94 stories?

I loved this series as well; it needs to be collected!!! 4-5 chunky trades ought to do it.
    I second this. Make it happen DC.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    I'm currently re-reading the series but am only 8 or so issues in. Vril is an all-time favorite character of mine and I fondly remember the "days" when he, Amanda Waller, Max Lord and even General Eiling (from the Captain Atom series) were such a major part of the DCU.
    I also enjoyed those more layered and ambiguous characters from the late 80's, early 90's. They need to be brought back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I liked L.E.G.I.O.N.
    Ahhh... the days when there was more to DC Space than just the Lantern Corps...
    Yes. I liked what Jim Starlin was doing with DC cosmic heroes before the New 52 erased it all. DC should try something in this mold again.

Peace

I LOVED this book! My friend Jim Fern drew it for a bit
    Please Remain Calm

I love this team. I still haven't read the entire original run, but the issues I read were pretty great.
    Bedard's R.E.B.E.L.S. was also pretty good book, I wish it was also called L.E.G.I.O.N. so maybe it could have lasted longer.
    I wonder if Vril Dox has any chance of appearing in JLOdissey?

Astonishing Member

or in a Green Lantern title, one can only hope.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

yeah i loved this series. It had a great mix of space action,complicated relationships, and humor.

I've never read an issue of Legion in my life, but own all the L.E.G.I.O.N.s and R.E.B.E.L.S. and that didn't effect their quality. Vril Dox is just such a compelling character, he's one of the best in all of DC. I'll buy any book he appears in, but I'm hoping one day he'll somehow cross swords with The Shade. They both operate on a level few others can match, they'd be great allies or formidable opponents.

It's weird how DC's cosmic universe is so easy to understand and get into compared to Marvel.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, I haven't read nearly as much of Legion as I have LEGION. Great stuff, some of the only real outer space comics I like.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I LOVED this book! My friend Jim Fern drew it for a bit
    I just snagged Adventures of Superman Annual #2 and L.E.G.I.O.N. '90 Annual #1 from my LCS's $0.50 bin yesterday! I already have copies boxed up somewhere, but wanted something to read on my lunch break.

They also had some random issues of Scarlett (more Fern art) that I might go back for...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Bedard's version was pretty good too, I considered him for the GLC Corps book a few reboots ago. I liked his updated Starro, even though he seems to have reverted to the just a starfish version, instead of the humanoid type that runs the starfish.

I loved this series! Vril Dox was magnificent. Strange, weird, stuff happened (Stealth's native form??). Lobo was a sympathetic character. Definitely one of the more memorable reads of my formative years.

I loved this series! I felt like many good series the quality declined, but it was a pretty good long run (somewhere around #50 for me).

I also really loved Bedard's follow up series.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Liked what I've read of it. It didn't feel like a DC book. Wonder if they've collected that run...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Seeing this topic makes me want to re read it now. I loved how it laid the groundwork for some of the Legion stuff, I loved Stealth. It made sense for Mon El to show up, it was great seeing stuff like the origin of Pulsar Stargrave. Overall an awesome series.
    The Pulsar Stargrave origin was awesome. Stealth was definitely a favorite of mine as well. I kinda expected what the fate of the Durlan would turn out to be but I had no idea how or why Phantom Girl showed up in the 20th century until they explained it in a Legion of Super Heroes annual.

The ideas they had in this book were incredible. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Liked what I've read of it. It didn't feel like a DC book. Wonder if they've collected that run...
    Not that I know of. And trustme, I'd want to know of.

Peace

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    I agree it needs to be collected in trade. I didn't like R.E.B.E.L.S. as much even though it finished the series. I felt DC made a mistake by calling it R.E.B.E.L.S. when they brought it back right before the NU52 relaunch.
    The name didn't help, but the new creative team and concept didn't help either. But L.E.G.I.O.N. was a very reliable series. The issue Kitson wrote as well as illustrated were actually some of my favorites.