Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #2

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...gion-89-2.html

Long Live the Legion! Paul Newell's Avatar

Just did a Legion of Super-Heroes reread, including L.E.G.I.O.N./R.E.B.E.L.S, and my one complaint about the series is that it became too "superhero-ey". I really liked the whole police procedural, (with aliens), idea and that appears to be the direction that was most successful. I found things started going downhill the more super-powered heroes with individual costumes that were introduced....Particularly the R.E.C.R.U.I.T.S.. It just became another super-hero team.

The one time they tried going back to the original concept, to me, didn't work because the array of characters were replaced by robots.
    DRINK!

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #3 - the origin of Pulsar Stargrave and Lobo is very angry (which is not unusual).

https://legionofsuperbloggers.blogsp...gion-89-3.html

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #4 - Lobo 'introduces' himself to the group.

https://legionofsuperbloggers.blogsp...gion-89-4.html

Extraordinary Member

I'm wondering if I should continue with this. Not much posting on here about it so there doesn't seem to be any interest.

I certainly don't mind posting when the reviews occur but if no one is interested, then there's no need.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I've actually read all of the reviews you've posted! Probably should have acknowledged that sooner, my apologies.

However it's completely up to you, obviously, if you want to keep posting them. I can always go follow the blog myself.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I've actually read all of the reviews you've posted! Probably should have acknowledged that sooner, my apologies.

However it's completely up to you, obviously, if you want to keep posting them. I can always go follow the blog myself.
    Thanks for posting. Yes, as long as there is some interest, I will gladly continue posting the updates on here. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't annoying everyone by bumping a thread with no interest. Appreciate it.

I definitely have a soft spot for this title. And it's almost the only time Lobo was actually palatable as a real character, not a charicature/meta-commentary on ultra-violence.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I definitely have a soft spot for this title. And it's almost the only time Lobo was actually palatable as a real character, not a charicature/meta-commentary on ultra-violence.
    ^ ^ ^

This right here.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Lobo on L.E.G.I.O.N. was sort of like Wolverine in the early days of the All-New, All-Different X-Men, y'know, back when Wolverine was actually interesting.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #5 - Dox and Lobo together - who didn't know this would end up being a disaster? Man, does Keith Giffen have a brilliant creative mind!!!!!

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...gion-89-5.html

It's crazy how much Barry Kitson's style changed in a relatively short period of time.

While the early work is by no means bad, I'd never guess it was the same guy if you showed me a page from 1989 vs. 1992.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    It's crazy how much Barry Kitson's style changed in a relatively short period of time.

While the early work is by no means bad, I'd never guess it was the same guy if you showed me a page from 1989 vs. 1992.
    Agree. He took 7 or 8 issues off from the book (some time in the late teen and early 20 issues) and came back with a whole new and amazing style. And it fit the book perfectly.

He's one of my all-time favorite comic artists.

I loved it. I was with the title throughout its various incarnations.
    Please Remain Calm

Extraordinary Member

Legion of Super Bloggers review of issue #6. I'll say it again - Keith Giffen is a genius.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...gion-89-6.html