Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wonder Dome

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Not having read any of the issues with the Wonder Dome, but I think that there is a difference between the Wonder Dome on one hand and the Batcave and Superman's fortress.

Superman's fortress is basically a museum, where he collects everything to do with Krypton and all the various items he has found during his various adventures in space. The Batcave has a long history, and it makes sense to have something like that for a gadget- and riches-oriented superhero. Both have a real connection with the character that has been reinforced over time, and fulfills a practical and emotional need for them.

But the Wonderdome seems to have no connection with Wonder Woman as a character. It's just a "cool home", without any emotional ties between the character and the space. The same is true of the embassy, partly because the relation between Themyscira and Man's World feels so undefined.
    WW WONDER DOME 5.jpg

WW WONDER DOME 6.jpg

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I know the Lansinarians were a Byrne thing, but did he also create the Wonder Dome? Or was that Eric Luke's idea? I remember liking it at the time, but it's been so long since I've read either run* that I'm not sure if it holds up for me anymore.

*Gods willing, I'll never have to re-read Byrne's

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yeah, I found the second of the images, but the first one was new to me. But all it does is explains what it contains, and not what it means to Wonder Woman the superhero or Diana the person. In a way, the zoo feels decidedly odd. I'd have nothing against Wonder Woman knowing Chiron, but then he should be running free, not stuck in an elaborate cage. The same is true for the other creatures.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I know the Lansinarians were a Byrne thing, but did he also create the Wonder Dome? Or was that Eric Luke's idea? I remember liking it at the time, but it's been so long since I've read either run* that I'm not sure if it holds up for me anymore.

*Gods willing, I'll never have to re-read Byrne's

The dome was an Eric Luke thing. In fact, iirc (and that's a big "if" because it's been quite awhile), when Byrne first introduced the tech, he had the Lansinarians mention that she had to be careful in using the technology because it could be depleted. I don't think Byrne ever intended it to be used at that scale of a giant floating fortress full of weapons, memories, and mythological creatures. I think he was solely thinking about how to restore the invisible plane to continuity and to have a means for Hippolyte to fly later on. That doesn't, of course, mean that later writers shouldn't have thought creatively about what else to do with it.

It's not the Wonder Dome's fault, because Perez set up the Amazons as not being scientifically or technologically advanced, but I never liked the idea of the Lansinarian sentient techocreature taking over that role that the Amazons originally played.

It's just a personal preference that I like the Amazon's being the creators of the invisible jet and other tech. (More along the line of the Marston Amazons or Morrison's Amazons in Wonder Woman: Earth One.) Other creators made good use of it - Jimenez especially - for as long as it was in continuity.

Astonishing Member

I adored the Wonder Dome.

I'd like it back in some way.

Why not this. Why can’t the Wonder dome look like an original building but when it needs to be it’s a high tech building? Like Diana opened a shelter or it’s palce where she keeps her villains ? It can also doubt has a portal to many different places. That it is Diana’s home and where she lives but it doesn’t float or stay in the sky. It’s placed on the ground and look normal until it needs to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Why not this. Why can’t the Wonder dome look like an original building but when it needs to be it’s a high tech building? Like Diana opened a shelter or it’s palce where she keeps her villains ? It can also doubt has a portal to many different places. That it is Diana’s home and where she lives but it doesn’t float or stay in the sky. It’s placed on the ground and look normal until it needs to be used.
    Your portal to other places reminded me of the White Room in the embassy. We didn't get any explanation about that. Rucka gave her an easy way to get home in one run and took it away in the next.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    The dome was an Eric Luke thing. In fact, iirc (and that's a big "if" because it's been quite awhile), when Byrne first introduced the tech, he had the Lansinarians mention that she had to be careful in using the technology because it could be depleted. I don't think Byrne ever intended it to be used at that scale of a giant floating fortress full of weapons, memories, and mythological creatures. I think he was solely thinking about how to restore the invisible plane to continuity and to have a means for Hippolyte to fly later on. That doesn't, of course, mean that later writers shouldn't have thought creatively about what else to do with it.
    This all sounds vaguely familiar...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I've always felt the floating castle idea should be used more it fits WonderWoman very well. Batman's batcave (and Wayne manner above it) is essentially Bruce in location form. Superman's fortress is essentially an alien structure transplanted to earth( which is what Superman is). If you were to essentially turn Wonder Woman into a location a flying castle would essentially be her in a nutshell. Castles are both a symbol of royalty (Diana is a princess) and a fortress (Diana is a warrior). The flying element adds an element of fantasy and magic to it(Wonderwoman is more tided to the supernatural then Superman and Batman are). It also allows the castle to be transported from one place to another, which is also very much similar to Diana who isn't particularly tide to anyone location like Superman and batman are.

Why not have Diana’s dome be not floating all the time? That it can copy and change to at first appear like a normal house

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I've always felt the floating castle idea should be used more it fits WonderWoman very well. Batman's batcave (and Wayne manner above it) is essentially Bruce in location form. Superman's fortress is essentially an alien structure transplanted to earth( which is what Superman is). If you were to essentially turn Wonder Woman into a location a flying castle would essentially be her in a nutshell. Castles are both a symbol of royalty (Diana is a princess) and a fortress (Diana is a warrior). The flying element adds an element of fantasy and magic to it(Wonderwoman is more tided to the supernatural then Superman and Batman are). It also allows the castle to be transported from one place to another, which is also very much similar to Diana who isn't particularly tide to anyone location like Superman and batman are.
    Interesting view, but I think it places the superficial aspects of Diana in front and uses that to construct the base, rather than making it about Diana's character. Fundamentally, the Batcave and the Fortress of Solitude both represent things that were taken from the characters, but Diana left Themyscira of her own free choice.

A better analogue for Themyscira's importance to Diana is rather the Kents' farm in Kansas.

Why not have Diana’s dome be not floating all the time? That it can copy and change to at first appear like a normal house
    Because a regular house is neither visually interesting or particularly compelling. The reason why I feel the castle works better is because it opens up story potential. Just look how many stories revolve around the fortress of solitude, the Batcave, and what is in them. I just see more story potential in a giant floating magic castle then I do in an apartment. Depending on how big the castle is it could have all manor of hidden rooms. And it’s magical nature could offer all kinds of opertunites to populate it with all kinds of beings. Unlike the fortress of solitude which by its nature is ment to be a lonely place, Diana’s castle could literally be a populated place filled with people she rescued and are now under her protection as well as rare magical creatures, and household nymphs. It could also be a gathering place for WonderWoman and her allies. It could be so much more then just a place where WW keeps her stuff.

The problem is many think it’s making her isolated. So why not have it be a portal in Diana’s house that makes her go there. It can be a home base for JL at times and people. I wonder what if it’s design a little more like floating Paradise island

The problem is many think it’s making her isolated. So why not have it be a portal in Diana’s house that makes her go there. It can be a home base for JL at times and people. I wonder what if it’s design a little more like floating Paradise island
    It doesn’t have to. Like I said before, it’s mobile nature means that it can show up anywhere Diana needs it to be. It would literally be the opposite of Superman’s fortress of solitude( A place designed to be lonely), a citidel of community. It should be a populated structure that is open to anyone in need of protection.