All-New Member

Lightbulb Question about old filler/one-shot [SOLVED!]

Greetings,

I'm desperately looking for an old filler story, from the late 70's/early 80's. Around 8-10 pages I think.

It was published (in Europe at least) in a Fantastic Four issue, and from what I remember it took place in NYC and featured the Baxter Building and made a few passing references to other aspects of the lore IIRC. It was however about an unassuming, 60-year old man without any superpowers. Just an old man spending his days without attracting attention, until we realize he's a reality-bending entity completely unaware of his powers. He's basically wandering from small obstacle to petty nuisance (the bus being late, etc...), with his thought balloons reflecting his lack of self-awareness in contradiction with captions and art conveying the world bending to his will all around him without his knowledge.

It was a sweet, low-key filler story about this old man completely oblivious to his immense power and just being content with hurdles litterally vanishing at will, never questioning why his wishes always come true within seconds.

It's always hard to say for sure with credit not always given when it was due in Marvel Comics from this era but it has an early Stan Lee-vibe to it.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by McCain; 04-27-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: SOLVED

All-New Member

Found it!

If anyone cares enough to give it a look, I'd say it's a damn fine story by the one and only John Byrne from FF #234 (Sept. 1981).

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I'm sure I read that years ago when it came out. Now I have to go revisit that!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I'm sure I read that years ago when it came out. Now I have to go revisit that!
    An example of why the Byrne run on FF is so beloved by many.

More souvenirs for you! You probably read it in this book - like I did :

(Club Marvel sur minitel!)
    Last edited by Abe; 04-27-2018 at 02:01 PM.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I remember that issue. Skip Collins, the Man with the Power. I often wondered if John would bring him back as some kind of wish-master. We're left to believe that because the buzzing in the back of his mind stopped that Skip no longer had his powers. But that's either an easy retcon, or pending further development waiting to be told.