Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    The CW shows are cringey, I agree with that. But Doom Patrol, Stargirl, and even Titans are better than a lot of the shows Marvel put out.
    Both have their hits and misses, quality is inconsistent but overall both make more good shows than bad. Titans, better than Gotham, not as good as legends of Tomorrow. I adored the Netflix shows, and Agent Carter and AoS. The real lesson here is friends don't let friends hire Scott Buck to direct their tv shows.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 06-28-2020 at 04:42 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Agents and Inhumans aside all that is left is the Netflix shows, and they are finished.
    DC is certainly winning the number of episodes produced yearly over Marvel, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I can't watch a single CW episode and hate that characters like Green Arrow and Constantine are adapted like that. Agents of SHIELD and Inhumans aside.... Marvel wins
    Agreed. They tend to ignore the comics and do whatever they wish as it seems those shows wanna appeal to the Dawson's Creek crowd. The Gotham shows falls in that category too of ignoring the source material. The only DC shows I can stomach are Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing.

Astonishing Member

Oh man, I miss Swamp Thing so much. Gone too soon, imo. That was cancelled before the first episode even premiered.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
    I'm not jealous, I'm envious. Jealousy is when you worry someone will take what you have.
    Envy is wanting what someone else has. What I feel is envy.
    Am I jealous? Maybe. I like the DC movies we've gotten, make no bones about it, but also, Marvel characters are broadly popular with general audiences in a way I wish more DC characters were. And when I say DC characters, I mostly mean Superman. Aquaman was successful, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Batman will recover from his contentious take, Harley Quinn... I don't understand any HQ fans who don't like BoP. Montoya-for-lifers, Canary diehards, I guess, but not HQ fans.

But Superman, despite having a good, popular, and charismatic actor who's been in three movies all of which I really like, just isn't popular, because people seem to strongly dislike a minimum of one of his movies. I'd love for him to get a movie that's regarded as a masterpiece, and also a mainstream success up in here. And I don't mean the Snyder Cut, though yeah, I guess I'm excited about that, I mean another Superman movie!

As for the MCU, the one thing I think they've really got over the DCEU, besides being, you know, way more popular, is that improvisational "Yes, And" worldbuilding they've got.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Outside Daredevil S1&3 and maybe Jessica Jones S1, the Marvel Netflix stuff is largely terrible.
    I’d take Agents of Shield, Agent Carter and the Arrowverse over those. Never seen Inhumans though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Outside Daredevil S1&3 and maybe Jessica Jones S1, the Marvel Netflix stuff is largely terrible.
    I’d take Agents of Shield, Agent Carter and the Arrowverse over those. Never seen Inhumans though.
    You don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    DC movies are starting to get it to get on track but at this point movie wise it would be better just focus on the movie being made and worrying about a shared universe later.

TV wise DC is kicking Marvel's ass seven ways from Sunday. Love it or hate the Arrowverse shows are light years ahead of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. which is the currently the only live action Marvel TV show and I keep meaning to get caught up with but I stopped watching it after season 2. The rest of their shows (so far) have all been canceled Agent Carter, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Daredevil, The Defenders, Iron Fist, The Punisher, and The Inhumans. DC have tried and succeeded with other second and third string characters and teams like The Doom Patrol, The Teen Titans, Lucifer, and Stargirl even their so called failures like Constantine being incorporated into the Arrowverse.

Movies wise Marvel has won live action TV show wise DC has won. So I call it a draw.
    Neither of the CW shows are lightyears ahead of Agents except maybe Arrow on Season 5
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Spectacular Member

No, I'm as a Marvel fan jealous of DC (at least when they have the balls to do the unconventional and not rush abominations like Justice League and Suicide Squad). And absolutely dread at the thought of what twisted version of X-men I'm going to get in the future.

I've been catching up with everything I missed from the MCU (mostly entries in the last half decade), and the cracks are definitely starting to show.

If the DCEU keeps hitting it out if the park with fresh takes on heroes and arcs without some canned formula carrying them there, I think it may very well become the more revered film universe (though my ideal desire is for both studios to be making films I love).

Astonishing Member

I think if they continue to make movies as good as Wonder Woman and Shazam, DC should be fine. They just need to make sure they don't fall back into BvS and SS territory.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    BvS was released on 3/25/2016 with the second week drops on 4/2/2016. The preproduction for Justice League had started in 2014. Principal photography began on 4/11/2016. The production of JL was too far along to completely scrap it. Scirpt changes were being made during production to lighten the tone of the movie. It was only after teh WB executives saw the assembly cut that Whedon was hired to do extensive reshoots with a mandated 2 hour limit on the run time.
    I mean, this was the crux of my point. If BvS was such a disaster why was Snyder allowed to work on a sequel? Sure, he had already started working on the project, but they could have gotten rid off him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Do you think this happened because the studio was thrilled with BvS performance? Zach Snyer himself says otherwise.

"The original Justice League that Chris [Terrio] and I wrote, we didn't even shoot," Snyder said. "There's a lot of it that we shot [but] the actual idea, the hard, hard idea, the scary idea, we never filmed because the studio was like, 'That's crazy.' And we were so insecure at the time after [Batman v Superman] came out, we were just like, 'I guess it is crazy. We're f—in' nuts. There's gonna be mass hysteria in the streets if we film this.'"
    I'm sure he was concerned about the critical and fan backlash, not the dollar bills.

I remember watching Christopher Nolan over a decade ago saying that the success of Batman Begins pretty much allowed him to have 'infinite' resources when making Dark Knight. Batman Begins only made 373.4 million dollars at the cost of 150 million. This was also a major shortfall when compared to how much Batman 89 made $411.6 million (or about a billion dollars today when adjusted for inflation) at the cost of 35 million dollars. I don't think these studios really get that upset when films don't make above and beyond their budget.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Snyder was signed on to direct Justice League by April 2014, pre-production began in April 2016. Batman vs Superman was in theatres by March 2016, they didn't much of a window to react to B vs S and when they did know the full reaction they couldn't replace Snyder. He was locked in, they weren't going to risk being sued or penalty rates for replacing Snyder in that window. WB sunk cost fallacy'd themselves so they may as well ride it out. Nolan not only had higher highs than Snyder but he could compete head on with the Avengers, Snyder failed to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    BvS and Suicide Squad making money is often used as a reason for why they were not bad films.
    When they made their money (mostly in the first weekend in BvS's case) usually gets ignored.
    Maybe when people were still in denial about SS, or before they had even watched it, but I can't imagine people are saying that nowadays. BO numbers shouldn't matter at all when discussing the quality of film.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I mean, this was the crux of my point. If BvS was such a disaster why was Snyder allowed to work on a sequel? Sure, he had already started working on the project, but they could have gotten rid off him.
    The reason is it wasn't a disaster in the slightest - if it had been, Snyder wouldn't have been allowed to direct the sequel. Since it made a profit, Snyder was safe, but he didn't have the same level of control he had before because WB expected a bigger profit for BxS than they got.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?