Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    MCU = Shared Universe

DCEU = Shared Universe

Stop being obtuse.
    I'm not being obtuse. The question is if we're jealous of Marvel's cinematic universe and I don't give a damn about the shared universe. The fact DC is going outside the shared universe with JOKER and The Batman is great. It never said anything in the OP that we could only compare the MCU to the DCEU, so why should I limit myself to the crapola I don't care about? I prefer standalones over shared continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yep. I like both universes, but most of the characters I love are at DC over Marvel.

I would be lying if I said I didn't want what Marvel has for DC, even if I don't always like the MCU. The IP brands started out as lesser than the main ones DC has and now they are thriving. They did more with much less.

But it's not as if we have nothing to be grateful for either, I think Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam and BoP were all good-great.
    I agree with all of this 100%. Joker is also quite possibly the best comic book movie I've ever seen, though that's not technically part of the mainstream DCEU.

Michael keaton returning as batman in a flashpoint flash movie>>>>>>>>MCU

Name a Fan of nearly any Film Franchise NOT Jealous of the Marvel Movies?

And I am being serious. 22 Movies in the same Universe under the guiding hand of 1 person where nearly all were Commercial and Critical Success? Marvel Studios is the Diamond Standard for what it accomplished from their 1st Efforts...and that is among All the Current Studios.

That goes for LotR, SW, ST, every fanbase would kill for 22 movies in 12 years where only 6 failed to make $1 Billion (if i am remembering correctly) yet the Franchise still made over $22 Billion in Ticket Sales...

It is still hard to believe honestly.
    If you are going to refute, you need to do your own research.

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post

And I am being serious. 22 Movies in the same Universe under the guiding hand of 1 person where nearly all were Commercial and Critical Success? Marvel Studios is the Diamond Standard for what it accomplished from their 1st Efforts...and that is among All the Current Studios.

That goes for LotR, SW, ST, every fanbase would kill for 22 movies in 12 years where only 6 failed to make $1 Billion (if i am remembering correctly) yet the Franchise still made over $22 Billion in Ticket Sales...

Outside infinity war and Guardians of the galaxy, captain america and winter soldier I cant think of a single marvel movie of value...

All the iron man movies are forgettable... couldn't even watch ant man or its sequal cant even think of the many others... 20 odd films and most extremely safe cookie cutter movies...

The fact they are financially successful or critical darlings doesnt mean anything to me...

Has dc done much better? Well no not really... but personally would hate if dc took that boring marvel path of safe and generic film route.

Quote Originally Posted by gambit2051 View Post

You know its only MCU fans who equate box office numbers with quality right? Every film in the sequel trilogy made a billion dollars and these films are loathed by the Star Wars fandom.

This behavior among the MCU fandom to boil everything down to box office numbers is so absurd. If you like a movie or franchise, just say you like it.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 06-24-2020 at 11:01 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

From my point of view, to be sure what envy is, it is the presence in Marvel as someone like Kevin Feige. In the sense that this person manages to popularize the characters, at an incredible level. And he created a huge franchise built on these characters, while not having Spider-Man and X-Men.
    For that matter, at the time of the release of the first movie with Downey, Iron Man was far less popular than Spider-Man and Wolverine. Now years later, Stark has become one of the most popular characters. The same applies to Steve Rogers, Thor, Black Widow, Strange, Ant Man, whom even the casual viewer now knows well. Guardians of the Galaxy became a hit, although before that, few knew them, in principle, except for comic book fans, and even among them they weren't too popular. Feige and his team had a plan; they implemented it. Right now movies about the Eternal and Shang Chi, for example, will be on the line, although before that there were meager chances that anyone would do anything about them.
    I personally would like DC to also have the opportunity to popularize the rest of its characters in this way.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I mean not really, literally all of the films are the same. Besides the MCU hasn't dramatically helped actual comic books, all these people that watched the MCU how many of them decided "I should find a comic book store and buy some comics!" Forget being a household name it means nothing if nobody ain't reading anything. Films will be the death of comic books, at least physically. My local comic book shops now have less emphasis on actual comic books and more on merch and collectables HECK the actual comic books aren't even on the same floor as the shop entrances!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Nope. No jealousy here.
    I like Superhero movies, in general. I've not cared to watch some MCU movies and I've not cared to watch some DCU movies. And there are movies from both companies that I've watched and absolutely loved.

Quite frankly...personally speaking, Wonder Woman and The Joker were leagues ahead of anything Marvel has ever released, with the possible exception of Black Panther.

And there is absolutely no comparison with DCAU movies. Marvel will never, ever come close to that level of exquisitenessity.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-25-2020 at 06:45 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    This wave is not going to last forever and will go the way of the Western and I hope we get at least one movie that can be great
    What about Wonder Woman, Shazam, and Birds of Prey?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Never mind.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    You know its only MCU fans who equate box office numbers with quality right? Every film in the sequel trilogy made a billion dollars and these films are loathed by the Star Wars fandom.

This behavior among the MCU fandom to boil everything down to box office numbers is so absurd. If you like a movie or franchise, just say you like it.
    Nope. That's a simple measure of success, not the only thing to measure success. If the DCEU had a higher box office they'd be using this, too.

I mean, back when Snyder & Ayer's movies were all we had, i *was* jealous of the mcu (if jealousy is the right word.. i am a fan of both marvel and DC so i do love the mcu). However, i enjoyed WW, Aquaman, Shazam, and BoP so i'm fine with it now and look forward to seeing these characters more, with the hope of them interacting in future movies. For now DC should just concentrate on continuing to make good solo films and not worry about teaming up characters until it feels like an organic development.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Nope. That's a simple measure of success, not the only thing to measure success. If the DCEU had a higher box office they'd be using this, too.
    It's not like DC fans never mentioned or celebrated the success of Aquaman and Joker.

Plus the commercial success of a project impacts how the series unfolds. The commercial success of Batman: The Animated Series helped launch Superman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, and Justice League. WB executives would not have brought in Joss Whedon and demanded a 2 hour run time if Batman vs. Superman hadn't been a financial disappointment. If BvS had broken a billion dollars, Snyder's original plan wouldn't have changed, Justice League would have been Snyder's cut with a sequel released in 2019, and Snyder's 5 movie plan would still be happening.

Anyone who dismisses the importance of box office performance is in denial of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Except the BO isn't a measure of quality, which is what I was claiming. Bad films make money all the time.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut