Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

As for the "Non-Universe" stuff?

It was a shame to see the Scalped adaptation falter. Even more of a shame when a version of Preacher that is only a moon cast shadow of the source material is going into a third season.

It makes the films look like a smashing artistic success.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    It's crazy. Cap feels more like Superman than whatever crap we got from the DCEU.
    Yup, bland and boring, just like the iconic Superman. With the exception of Ant-Man, his movies are the only one in the MCU where I never went to see on the silver screen or quit halfway through the first act, because I just plain don't like this character, and find him incredibly unappealing. Probably to "US propaganda" for my taste.

Overall, I feel envious of the critics and audiences reactions to the MCU movies, but beyond the occasional outsider, like Black Panther, I really don't think that's deserving of such praise anymore. Most of the movies lack any tension or stake, because I know that there will be constant jokes and funny moment killing the build-up. Even Thanos coming on Earth doesn't interest me. I'll go and Watch it, obviously, because I want to see the end of what was seeded with the first Avenger, but I already know that I won't feel as engaged in the conflict as I were in BvS, which remains my favorite superhero movies of all time. Still, Avengers 4 will be better than JL, since Disney hasn't been screwing over the directors here. Seriously, i'm still upset that they chose to replace Snyder with Whedon, when the two styles are so different that it was obvious such a change wouldn't work...

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    Meh. Envy and jealousy are weak emotions. And besides i enjoy dc's films. Why would I care what everyone else thinks?
    You really don't. This thread isn't about berating people for enjoying the DCEU or vice versa. I like the DCEU films a lot better than the critical consensus seems to think that I'm allowed to as well.

It was just a question that I got asked in the pub. I had to admit during it that I wished WB had their heads screwed on properly in the same way that Marvel Studios do.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm not jealous, I don't like many of ANY of the comic book movies during this craze, be it Marvel or DC. What bothers me though is the comparison effect of general audiences since DC's movieverse has been a failure and Marvel's has been a smash success. It makes the DC characters look like jokes to the general audience, and that's scary. Because while the fact is simply that for the most part the films have been very poor representations that do not do credit to the world of DC Comics, my fear is that to the general audience they won't even realize they are bad representations of really good ideas, rather just assume the characters themselves are terrible.
    That was something that came up as well. I made the point that, although Marvel definitely have the upper hand in the movie stakes, that isn't the case across all the other forms of media.

Although I know that the movies are THE major breadwinner, I didn't like the notion being out there that the DCEU gives off the impression to the general audience of DC as this perpetually struggling rival to Marvel. One that can never get it's act together properly. Obviously we all know that that's not the case at all.

I'm not 'jealous' of Marvel, but don't like the idea that the DCEU casts a false light on DC when, in general, they perform well in the market.

I’m more pissed at WB for their ineptitude.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    i'm not jealous in a hateful way because i've really enjoyed most of the Marvel movies. but damn it do i wish WB could do for Superman what Marvel Studios has done for Captain America. make movies for the character that are near universally loved.
    This is pretty much how I feel as well. Sure, I am jealous, but only because I generally like the Marvel movies overall. They're fun popcorn movies for the most part. I would like if DC movies could at least be that instead of, well, awful (sans Wonder Woman).

Don't think there's a superhero movie that really hit me as hard as Superman: The Movie, though.

I wish DC movies were better received but rather than jealousy I feel bad for the DC Executives.
    I really enjoyed the DC movies though I thought WW and JL were just okay movies. The only Marvel movie I enjoyed more than SS, BvS and MoS was Civil War. I haven't even seen GoTG 2 or Homecoming. Don't plan on seeing Infinity Wars unless someone else is paying [movies are expensive]. Not because I don't rate them just because I have no interest in the characters.
    I don't know the Marvel universe.

I'm disappointed that DC seems to be chasing Marvel. DC isn't Marvel and that's a very good thing. I don't want DC movies to be like Marvel and DC should remember that nothing stays on top forever. Marvel movies used to a joke now they are mass appeal doesn't mean it will always be this way. Fans are fickle I just hope DC keeps turning a profit. No one wants the comic book/movie industry to become a monopoly that's how all fans lose

Nah, not really. Wonder Woman was great and a landmark film. A lot of the Marvel films won't stand the test of time but I think WW will.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m more pissed at WB for their ineptitude.
    That's what it all boils down to for me as well. I'm not in any way envious of Marvel's success, I just wish DC's movie studio knew how to adapt their properties better, instead of continuously devaluing entire DC character brands in some foul attempt to compete with the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It's pretty petty for some one to be "jealous" because one company's movies seem to do better than another. "Envious" would be different and understandable, though.
    I didn't know there was a difference until I read your post - and then quickly checked the dictionary.

Yeah, I'm a bit envious.

I've practically lost all interest in Marvel comics, but I love their films (except Thor 2 natch). I love DC comics, but the DCEU films are erratic at best. That said, the only one I completely didn't enjoy was Man of Steel.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    bland and boring, just like DCEU Superman
    Fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    Fixed it
    No, you certainly didn't. DCEU Superman may be a lot of things, but he is neither bland, nor boring. Not liking his character arc under Snyder is something, but the only time he came out as uni-dimensional and bland was after his return, under Whedon, who tried too hard to appease the comic fans instead of making the whole thing fit with the character.
    Last edited by Korath; 04-18-2018 at 06:32 AM.

Maybe at how well they have been handled. WB looks like a bunch of baffoons. Handing the keys over to Snyder was a big mistake.

Not at all as I have zero interest in superhero movies/TV stuff. They just don't give me that comics feel at all.