Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Sounds interesting and it could work though I mean what sort of talent should the boy have that would make him gifted?
    I actually am not sure what a human could do to merit a position among people who can casually defy the laws of physics. I mean, they’d need doctors and stuff sure, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    No, she really didn't. They gave her the title...and that was it. Old Man Logan got the flagship book and all the events. She got stuck in Hopeless' godawful shipping fic. And then they took THAT away from her. And that's not even getting into the botched hand off of the cowl in the first place.
    I think it boils down to understanding readership or the fan base. Who were the fans of the original Wolverine and why were they fans? I'm guessing mostly male, and, if the sampling I've talked to over the years is any indication, because they either related to him or wanted to live vicariously through him. When you replace him with a young girl, it's an entirely different story. Those male fans wouldn't relate to her at all, though female readers might. The male fans might find her appealing for different reasons, but Laura (thankfully) isn't exactly the pin-up type. In short, in trying to use Laura as a replacement, they alienated the Wolverine fan base, thus the OML band-aid, followed by Blonderine.

Getting rid of iconic X-Men to make way for new ones is banking on several things -- that new readers will replace older readers who are alienated by the decision, that fans follow writers or artists more than characters, and that readers have more loyalty to the X-Men concept than the X-Men themselves. I think all three are fairly unlikely.

On the bright side, Laura was included in the Jean post resurrection book, and, so far, that one seems to have a good bit of potential. Taylor likes the character and will likely treat her well in the title.
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 04-19-2018 at 08:10 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    Drop the continuity bomb, and start over...

...but not at the beginning.

Approach the franchise as "X-Men: The Next Generation." Broadly similar to Claremont's Genext, but much more expansive and developed. I'd retroactively place the times of the core X-Men we know--Xavier, Scott, Jean, Storm, Wolverine, etc.--around 15-20 years in the past and focus instead on their kids and their kids' peers. The history of this timeline would have some broad similarities to 616 as well as some major differences. The important bits of history would be fleshed out as needed as we tell the story.

The first core cast member we meet? A precocious, redheaded 15-year-old named Rachel Summers. She's hit puberty, and her mutant psychic powers are flaring up. Fortunately, her parents were prepared for that. It also doesn't hurt that they teach and live at the Xavier Institute. Retired from the X-Men, Scott trains new teams of X-Men, identifies potential leaders, and advises the current active team leadership. Jean is the head counselor at the institute's School for Gifted Youngsters under headmistress Emma Frost.

Xavier, meanwhile, is rarely seen these days, busy as he is running a network of dozens of Xavier Institutes set up across the world, each with its own covert X-Men team. (The X-Men's identities remain secret in this timeline.)

Magneto, Apocalypse, Sinister, Bastion--all long gone. But, new threats have risen to take their place. Mutants have gained a measure of acceptance in the world, but not in the way Xavier had hoped. Rather than seen as people with special gifts, they're viewed as commodities to be exploited. By governments, corporations, terrorist groups, organized crime. On the other side, newer, younger voices have filled the void left by Magneto. But, rather than attack humanity like he did, or covertly integrate like the X-Men, they're out and proud, demanding recognition and respect in the public square. And some among them refuse to take no for an answer. Still others nurture dreams of wiping humanity out.

As ever, Xavier and his X-Men find themselves smack in the middle, trying to keep peace in a world that doesn't want it.

Compared to the original franchise, the flavor of this version of the X-Men would be much more international and political to reflect current times. Less traditional superhero fantasy and more genre-blending action-adventure. Branch out into different kinds of stories: using mutant powers for scientific research and exploration, mutant crime drama, erotic thrillers with mutant powers, teenage mutant romance, mutant sports, and more. Endless possibilities.
    This is a great way of modernising the X-men, it feels too new 52 tough... I think something like this could be reached slowly... And a retired cyclops teaching students isn't a far fetched idea since that Bendis set up that he's done fighting humans and would instead promote peace and Union

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I actually am not sure what a human could do to merit a position among people who can casually defy the laws of physics. I mean, they’d need doctors and stuff sure, but...
    Take your time there's no rush. Also if I wrote the X-Men not only would have implemented Grant Morrison's plan to include human students but also make a case where mutants should indeed be accountable for their actions particularly Charles Xavier who needs to learn to stop manipulating people.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Approach the franchise as "X-Men: The Next Generation." Broadly similar to Claremont's Genext, but much more expansive and developed. I'd retroactively place the times of the core X-Men we know--Xavier, Scott, Jean, Storm, Wolverine, etc.--around 15-20 years in the past and focus instead on their kids and their kids' peers. The history of this timeline would have some broad similarities to 616 as well as some major differences. The important bits of history would be fleshed out as needed as we tell the story.

The first core cast member we meet? A precocious, redheaded 15-year-old named Rachel Summers. She's hit puberty, and her mutant psychic powers are flaring up. Fortunately, her parents were prepared for that. It also doesn't hurt that they teach and live at the Xavier Institute. Retired from the X-Men, Scott trains new teams of X-Men, identifies potential leaders, and advises the current active team leadership. Jean is the head counselor at the institute's School for Gifted Youngsters under headmistress Emma Frost.

Xavier, meanwhile, is rarely seen these days, busy as he is running a network of dozens of Xavier Institutes set up across the world, each with its own covert X-Men team. (The X-Men's identities remain secret in this timeline.)

Magneto, Apocalypse, Sinister, Bastion--all long gone. But, new threats have risen to take their place. Mutants have gained a measure of acceptance in the world, but not in the way Xavier had hoped. Rather than seen as people with special gifts, they're viewed as commodities to be exploited. By governments, corporations, terrorist groups, organized crime. On the other side, newer, younger voices have filled the void left by Magneto. But, rather than attack humanity like he did, or covertly integrate like the X-Men, they're out and proud, demanding recognition and respect in the public square. And some among them refuse to take no for an answer. Still others nurture dreams of wiping humanity out.

As ever, Xavier and his X-Men find themselves smack in the middle, trying to keep peace in a world that doesn't want it.

Compared to the original franchise, the flavor of this version of the X-Men would be much more international and political to reflect current times. Less traditional superhero fantasy and more genre-blending action-adventure. Branch out into different kinds of stories: using mutant powers for scientific research and exploration, mutant crime drama, erotic thrillers with mutant powers, teenage mutant romance, mutant sports, and more. Endless possibilities.
    This is very interesting and definitely better suited for the modern times. However, it runs the heavy risk of being thrown into the "alternate universe" category when a new editor steps in. But very nice idea indeed. There just needs to be a way to not create a "jumping off point" for current readers. Maybe good marketing could fix it but has to be really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I like that you've found places for favorites like Dust and Madrox and Nightcrawler and Frenzy and even Bedlam!
    Aww, thanks for the compliments!

But you don't like my Very British X-Bros family comedy adventure book? :-D I don't blame you, I formed it to suit MY tastes, and not necessarily thematically "X-Men". I always felt Claremont shot himself in the foot when he didn't continue the friendship between Forge and Banshee, and I like to imagine them as an older and wiser Beetle and Booster. So then you add in Brian Braddock as brick-headed Guy Gardner, Meggan as an eager Mary Marvel type, have Moira MacTaggert host the soul and weird powers of her son Proteus, and you miiiiiight have a winning chemistry.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GarDian View Post
    This is very interesting and definitely better suited for the modern times. However, it runs the heavy risk of being thrown into the "alternate universe" category when a new editor steps in. But very nice idea indeed. There just needs to be a way to not create a "jumping off point" for current readers. Maybe good marketing could fix it but has to be really good.
    Oh, I wasn't trying to be realistic in terms of what Marvel editorial would go for or what the current market would support. Marvel would never in a million years publish what I outlined.

I was just going off the OP's ask of what I'd do if Marvel let me do whatever I wanted.

Incredible Member

Would have built up to Schism, delving more into how the X-Men stood as individuals towards Scott and Logan’s differing stances. The event itself would have been longer than three issues, with the X-Men still dealing with the fallout of what essentially was a civil war.

Storm would have never sided with Scott during AvX (or post Schism), thus would still remained married to T’Challa. Probably center a series focusing on her using her position as queen of Wakanda to help mutants in general or have her as a major supporting character in one or two X-series.

Expand on some of the other X-Teams so that they’re better developed and there isn’t a need for multiple variations of the X-Men running around. Teams would come down to the X-Men (no gold, blue, red, green, lantern corps, etc), X-Force, X-Factor, X-Corp, X-Static, and X-Sanction. Focus on how each of these teams are different and what they each bring to the table.

Titles like the New Mutants and Generation-X would focus on different sets of students in either the Xavier Institute and/or one of the other schools catering to mutants that the X-Men would be starting up.

Disperse A-listers accordingly across each team so that everyone’s happy while at the same time regulating certain characters to supporting roles to help run the school(s) and provide assistance as needed. Much as I like characters like Beast, Forge, etc. they are arguably better suited to be supporting mutantkind in their own capacity opposed to being members of an active team.

No double dipping. Characters are either on a team or they’re solo, no one pulling a Logan and being on multiple teams at the same time for any reason. This would hold true for any mutants currently on the Avengers and other non X-teams.

Have Gambit and Rogue take their relationship to the next level and either get married or elope, seems like the logical conclusion to their relationships story arc. Or conceive a child, because then we could see how everything would play out from there.

I actually rather like this concept but agree with the consensus that it might be better served as a mini-series set in an alternate reality. Outside of a few changes here and there I really wouldn't mind reading something like this.
    Last edited by Draegwolf; 04-20-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    Have Gambit and Rogue take their relationship to the next level and either get married or elope, seems like the logical conclusion to their relationships story arc. Or conceive a child, because then we could see how everything would play out from there.
    I would like this one to happen it would be better to than to repeatedly break them up because of their insecurities and issues. And if I could swing it maybe marry Warren and Betsy. And if push comes to show Hellion and X-23 with Mercury, Kiden, or maybe Megan as the bridesmaid.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-21-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I would like this one to happen it would be better to than to repeatedly break them up because of their insecurities and issues. And if I could swing it maybe marry Warren and Betsy. And if push comes to show Hellion and X-23 with Mercury, Kiden, or maybe Megan as the bridesmaid.
    I concur with (Arc)Angel and Psylocke tying the knot, got a few of these pairing that should stop dancing around things with this will they, won't they crap. Just marry them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    I concur with (Arc)Angel and Psylocke tying the knot, got a few of these pairing that should stop dancing around things with this will they, won't they crap. Just marry them off.
    Agreed. In fact that's something I would do with the X-Men's long time couples marry them all off and let it stick. Let them have children while training the next generation of students. Xavier would be dead and the School will be headed by Jean and Logan training the next generation and Emma and Scott will live their lives away from the mansion.

Have all the 90’s books back with a few of the newer characters mixed in.

Only solo books are Deadpool, Gambit, Wolverine, X-23 and/or maybe Storm.

Generation X book would be about the characters living life outside the mansion with a Runaways/Scott Pilgrim kind of feel.

Use other villains more with Magneto and Mystique used a lot less.

Do not allow writers to overly push their favourites in team books especially when it makes others look weak or incompetent.

Exiles book starring displaced characters with them eventually going back to their worlds.

Focus more on superheroing.

More focus on keeping continuity straight.

Marry Gambit and Rogue already and chill with the angst.

Restore Magneto as the father of the Maximoffs and their status as mutants. Bring back Avalanche. Bring back Cyclops and have him resume his marriage with Jean Grey. Explain away Scott’s bad behavior as either Emma controlling him or remnants of Sentry’s Void or Apocolypse. Undo the unnecessary change of Iceman’s sexuality and personality. Bring Firestar into the X-Men and have her get romantically involved with Iceman. Give Beast back the Wolverine hair and a fun personality reminiscent of the animated series. Bring back Kwannon and have her and Betsy switch back into their rightful bodies. Kwannon joins the X-Men as Revanche with Betsy as Psylocke. Give Kitty long hair again. Continue the thread Skottie Young was weaving in “Magneto: Not a Hero” and make Joseph into a real big bad for the X-Men. Make Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike, and Daken villains again. Bring back the real Apocalypse. Bring Spyke from X-Men: Evolution into mainstream continuity. Remarry Storm and Black Panther. Somehow make Gabby/Honeybadger not exist. Portray X-23 as younger. Have Jubilee put the baby up for adoption. Keep Magneto as an antihero. Reanimate Professor X’s body so he doesn’t have to be in Fantomex. Make Deadpool a badass again rather than mister bathroom humor. Bring back Changeling and call him Morph. Explain that the time displaced O5 are now from a diverged reality and get rid of them. Put the Ultimate X-Men and Old Man Logan back into their respective universes. Bring back the Kyle/Yost X-Force strike team. Undo the “Bishop is related to Gateway” retcon and have him just be African American since he looks nothing like an Aboriginal Australian. Bring back Banshee and Moira. Have them romantically linked. Confirm that Romulus’ story about Wolverine starting Weapon X was nonsense. Retcon away the “Wolverine killed his kids” story. Retcon away Gabriel Summers. Undo “Death of Greys.” Confirm Azazel is a mutant that looks like a demon and not actually demonic. Same thing with Angel. Bring back other dead mutants like Icarus, Wallflower, Shard Bishop, Rusty Collins, Caliban, and Thunderbird. Utilize 616 Mimic. Bring back lots of old villains like Apocalypse and more. Bring back Excalibur. Move the mansion out of Central Park and back to its original location. Restore mutant status of Squirrel Girl and Toro. Heavily reduce the “X-Men fight each other instead of villains” stuff.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Restore Magneto as the father of the Maximoffs and their status as mutants. Bring back Avalanche. Bring back Cyclops and have him resume his marriage with Jean Grey. Explain away Scott’s bad behavior as either Emma controlling him or remnants of Sentry’s Void or Apocolypse. Undo the unnecessary change of Iceman’s sexuality and personality. Bring Firestar into the X-Men and have her get romantically involved with Iceman. Give Beast back the Wolverine hair and a fun personality reminiscent of the animated series. Bring back Kwannon and have her and Betsy switch back into their rightful bodies. Kwannon joins the X-Men as Revanche with Betsy as Psylocke. Give Kitty long hair again. Continue the thread Skottie Young was weaving in “Magneto: Not a Hero” and make Joseph into a real big bad for the X-Men. Make Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike, and Daken villains again. Bring back the real Apocalypse. Bring Spyke from X-Men: Evolution into mainstream continuity. Remarry Storm and Black Panther. Somehow make Gabby/Honeybadger not exist. Portray X-23 as younger. Have Jubilee put the baby up for adoption. Keep Magneto as an antihero. Reanimate Professor X’s body so he doesn’t have to be in Fantomex. Make Deadpool a badass again rather than mister bathroom humor. Bring back Changeling and call him Morph. Explain that the time displaced O5 are now from a diverged reality and get rid of them. Put the Ultimate X-Men and Old Man Logan back into their respective universes. Bring back the Kyle/Yost X-Force strike team. Undo the “Bishop is related to Gateway” retcon and have him just be African American since he looks nothing like an Aboriginal Australian. Bring back Banshee and Moira. Have them romantically linked. Confirm that Romulus’ story about Wolverine starting Weapon X was nonsense. Retcon away the “Wolverine killed his kids” story. Retcon away Gabriel Summers. Undo “Death of Greys.” Confirm Azazel is a mutant that looks like a demon and not actually demonic. Same thing with Angel. Bring back other dead mutants like Icarus, Wallflower, Shard Bishop, Rusty Collins, Caliban, and Thunderbird. Utilize 616 Mimic. Bring back lots of old villains like Apocalypse and more. Bring back Excalibur. Move the mansion out of Central Park and back to its original location. Restore mutant status of Squirrel Girl and Toro. Heavily reduce the “X-Men fight each other instead of villains” stuff.
    This would be great, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    To start with:

NO. SLIDING. TIMESCALE.

Characters would age in relatively real time. The old guard would grow up and move on in their lives. Death would be treated seriously and not the revolving door timeout it currently is (I'm not saying NO resurrection, but it would be a much bigger deal). The "Next Generations of X-Men" would ACTUALLY BE the Next Generation of X-Men, succeeding their predecessors in time, and teams would be a balance of veterans from across the generations, and newcomers.

The timeline between books would be firmly and clearly established, so readers would know EXACTLY when one book is set in relation to another. Additionally, absolutely NO ignoring continuity to force the plot. This goes double for consistency of characterization between books.
    I agree completely with Ambaryerno here. I have followed the story of the X-men from the beginning of the Claremont era through the present. But I stopped reading the monthly titles shortly after AvX and have only kept myself current through you guys and this site. The reason I stopped reading the comics (aside from saving money) is because the stories became ever-more lackluster, redundant or nonsensical. Maybe this is a psychological manifestation on my part, but my feeling was that the X-men universe got stale because nothing every changed. The same 5 characters starred in virtually every title, interesting "new generation" characters are constantly shoved into the wall to make way for each new writer's personal favorites or worse, original creations. And, of course, event fatigue, with the X-titles barely getting room to breath in their own plots before being co-opted into some larger story. I understand that comic stories are meant to go on in perpetuity, but I care first and foremost about good stories, and good stories end.

I have always championed Claremont's wish to age characters naturally, have some retire out of superheroics, and keep deaths permanent 99% of the time. I'm not sure why so many comics fans absolutely hate this idea. They don't want change, but complain relentlessly about story dynamics and characterization problems that stem directly from a fundamental inability to change. I would rather have narratives featuring the A-list cast that eventually found endpoints for each of them through quality storytelling than this dull and aimless cycle we've been stuck in for ages now. Why are Logan and the Dark Knight Trilogyso damn spectacular? Because they are stories with endings, with character endings. This doesn't necessarily need to mean death, but at the end of The Dark Knight Rises, Bruce Wayne has served his purpose and achieved what he initially set out to accomplish. It's a satisfying endpoint. Our world's unhealthy obsession with consumerism (and the unfortunate nature of comic books thus far) has us craving more and more, but quantity is never wedded with quality forever.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci