Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Action Comics#1000 Spoilers and Discussion

The big day is here, happy 80th Superman....let's get this show on the road

Jurgen's story sees a Superman appreciation day where cops and crooks alike share testimonials of what Clark has done for them. Clark thwarts an alien invasion but is uneasy about leaving that detail unattended while watching the ceremony, eventually Diana assures him the rest of the JL have taken care of things.

The Hypertime story was pretty ambitious, all being told in one panel pages made it a bit of a confounding read at times, but every major popular or culturally significant interpretation, from Reign to Kingdom Come, got referenced.

Geoff and Donner's contribution was a tribute to Golden Age Superman, in one other story Lex takes a loss at chess to Supes pretty badly and attempts to chain him up with Kryptonite, Paul Dini's story involves Mxy creating a Superman theme park recounting a version of Superman history, but can't come up with an ending for the story that involves him destroying Clark!

Brad Meltzer's story was devoted to Chirstopher Reeve and interestingly harkens back to when Supes was trying to save Pa Kent when he had his heart attack

Bendis' story is a smash-mouth action fest in media res, Kara appears only to be smacked around and Rogal Zarr declares he is responsible for Krypton's destruction
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-18-2018 at 02:27 AM.

BANNED

Just ordered Action Comics 1000 woohoo !!! i got Jim Lee and Michael Allred covers and it really costed me but still worth it. (: It seems i will have to avoid the thread untill my issues arrive. Such a land mark, congurutulation to every one at DC and all the fans.

BANNED

Bendis's story was by far the weakest. The strongest ones were by Tomasi/Gleason and King. Jurgens, Dini and Snyder also delivered solid stories. Others were ok imo.

Overall a great collection.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Really hard not to get caught up in the hype of seeing the number. I don't even really feel like picking it apart for what I thought was underwhelming or whatever. I'm more in a look to the future sort of mood, and some of the stories in here really got me in that mindset rather nicely.

Without going into too much detail, gotta say my personal favorites were King, Johns and Donner, Tomasi, freakin Metlzer, and Bendis tie. Johns and Donner's story stand out as my personal favorite looking, and maybe the second most inspired in terms of subject matter. Like, I don't know if Johns coming off doing Doomsday Clock has got him in his emotions and all introspective or whatever, but this was strong stuff. Like, Drake after Take Care but before Scorpion in his feelings lol Tomasi's was probably the most ambitious and fun, and the message at the end made me smile. Gleason freakin killed it on art! King remains my favorite for being so packed with emotion and stray ideas. Metlzer surprised me with how oddly suspenseful it was from start to finish. Bendis was the one I was most anticipating, and it got the grade I was hoping for: "yeah, I'd be down to read this twice a month. Lets see what you got."

Of all the questions I had during Bendis' story, I think my most burning was "did that guy hit Superman in the stomach so hard that heat vision came out?!" All in all, had a great time, feel like this was more of a "pit stop" issue that has me just kind of recharged, and everyone involved gets a thumbs up from me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

The Bendis story was more a prologue for his Man of Steel mini-series than a self-contained story.

In the group shot of the heroes at the end of the first story, did anyone see Kyle Rayner? He was the only Green Lantern I didn't spot, and they were in the JLA back in the 90's. Supes talked Kyle down from an Ion-induced god complex.

BANNED

That awkward moment when a group of heroes show up to honor you and Deathstroke is among them? What was that about?

Enjoyed reading it. Tbh i was a bit underwhelmed. But a pretty solid issue nonetheless. Could not have asked for more. There's the past, the present and the future all rolled up to celebrate. After all this is 1000!!!

My favorite stays Tom King's. Enjoyed reading Jurgens, Simonson, Meltzer and Johns. Liked Bendis, Swan/Wolfman (wow, i read that!), as well as Tomasi's. Levitz, Dini and Snyder were okay imo.

Lol. Bendis was not bad. Those two ladies kind of reminded me of Star Wars. Two side characters(for this short story/prologue). Non essential to the plot. But kinda funny. Somewhat like C-3PO and R2-D2 in the first Star Wars. If this is Bendis speak i don't think its bad. Its actually enjoyable. The art was terrific without a doubt.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    That awkward moment when a group of heroes show up to honor you and Deathstroke is among them? What was that about?
    Maybe he appreciates that every time he takes on a Justice League contract, Superman's presence doubles the asking price?

I loved the last page of Wolfman story. That last page alone was worth it. (And i'm the one they call Superman). Loved it.

What was happening in the Snyder story? Dini's story was somewhat confusing too. All of that was Mxy's illusion?

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

I thought the Bendis one was okay his dialogue style was surprisingly restrained and it didn't take up too much of the action. As far as emotional stakes is concerned there didn't feel like there any. At least Rogol Zaar has a distinct voice.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Welp, having read it, I think i can finally say that i'm not a fan of Superman. None of the stories touched me. Not that they weren't all, at the very least, good. But there was nothing in there that found myself caring about. Still, for fans of the character, it's a must read (even if i'm a little worried with the "Prologue" For MoS, which I find is the weakest of the bunch).

BANNED

The Hypertime bit is both conceptually and visually the most striking on the stories. Most are good, especially if you`re a Superman aficionado. Part of me still likes the big guy from being a kid but that love has sort of waned over the years after sinking my teeth into mythology and early European to American pulp where lots of bits of Superman are to be found.

I still love the heck out of classic Superboy (Superman being fun) for whatever reason that logic can`t actually explain but it`s still a big milestone. Happy Birhday big blue!

BANNED

And yeah, Bendis story sort of lacks the punch most of the others do but he`s also the new guy on the house. You gotta let that slide for now.

Just finished reading this giant-sized comic. What a way to start a day. It's been a while since I've been genuinely excited about Superman's future. This issue really helped. Looking forward to Bendis' upcoming run.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Welp, having read it, I think i can finally say that i'm not a fan of Superman.
    I am shocked. Shocked.

Well, not that shocked.