Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default What would you recommend to others?

I love sharing my books, particularly to those that “never read comics”. I usually try to find out what they like reading and start from there, as I think I’ve got enough to give them a taste of something different from what they think comics are. Well it’s more what I think they think comics are. Most the time they say something generic I already know so that doesn’t help - “I like good stories”. Yeah, wait’ll you check out Lost Girls.

I look at my collection and always come down to the same few titles (Preacher, Books of Magic, Fables, Locke & Key, Y the last man...) but can never seem to decide which and end up overwhelming them with choice or the size of the volume. Like From Hell, that’s like “Here read this motherfucker!” Most of the time they never actually read it unless they’ve read some before or know about the titles. It’s not the same when they just want to read the book before or after they see the movie.

Always want to recommend Lucifer but feel I should push Sandman first then I think that first volume would be a struggle as it is still entrenched in the old newsstand release style. And both these are 11 volumes. Fables I’m kinda over. Good series are only good because they are so long and developed everything over years of build up. Preacher at least is just a nice starter with a cool quick twist. I really want to share Invisibles, Promethea and Doom Patrol, but they can be a bit over the top. Transmetro might be the best for guys but it’s the ladies that are willing to try my stuff and I’d rather something more than that.

I do try to avoid the good superhero recommend but do want people to eventually read Watchmen or Powers or Astrocity or All Star Superman. Maybe Black Hole, Persepolis or Ghostworld? However these are my nicer formats and I have to weigh the thought on how they handle these books... I have trades I lend willy nilly, then I have stuff that never goes out like omni’s. Deluxe’s and other hardcovers I guess are good to impress... Nice ones I like showing off are Asterios Polyp and Jimmy Corrigan.

Criminal would be another if I hadn’t given that away (did I just miss a reissue?). Sweet tooth or Chew? I dunno, I overwhelm myself and think I should only choose a couple. One good series starter, one self contained and maybe one that looks nice. What else would you guys consider?

Incredible Member

I'd recommend Y the last man, Saga or Criminal(or Fade Out) first. Those ones immediately spring to mind right now (and when I read them) for things that non comic book readers might like and are ones I'd recommend first before all others (for what I've read). Preacher is close too. And personally I'd stick to lending out paperbacks. What you consider careful handling of books is probably quite different from what a non-collector considers careful handling.
    The Invisibles is not a smooth read. I am actually finishing it now and love it but its not one I would recommend right away. I'd probably recommend Doom Patrol before it but not before something like Y-the last man or preacher. But even Doom Patrol might prove too dense and weird for a first time non-comic book reader.

As introductions go... Y: The Last Man was my introduction and I think that it is a good first choice. I would also recommend DEMO/Local and Fables.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Daytripper, City of glass, Maus, From hell, Blankets etc.

Y the Last Man have given this to many non comic readers and they usually come out wanting to read some more comics.

Box office Poison
    Saga
    Umbrella academy
    Parker books by Cooke.
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.