Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Happy 80th Birthday, Superman!!!

The day is finally here.

April 18th, 2018: Superman officially turns 80 years old.

Wow, 80 years of continuous existence.

Our boy Clark is formally an octegenarian.

Later on today, I'm swinging by my LCS and going to buy my copy of both ACTION COMICS #1000 and the 80th anniversary hardcover edition. Almost $40.00, just on those two books. But I anticipate it will be well worth it. Can't wait!

It's hard for me to put into exact words what Superman has meant to me, but I'll definitely try after work (and reading AC1K).

So, for all you Superman aficionados out there, pop on in and wish our man Kal-El congratulations on completing 8 decades of Truth, Justice, and the American Way!

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

It's hard to put into words what this character has meant to me over the course of my life.

In fact it's impossible to do that sort of thing in the limited space here, so I'll just keep it simple and say...

Happy Birthday, Superman. You have enriched more lives than you could ever comprehend both here on Earth Prime and within the DCU!
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Happy 80th Superman! Like many others here, I'll never be able to put into words what Superman means to me. I can just say that I'm glad he's here.

In celebration of Action 1000, I did something I never do. I ordered variant covers of the issue. I don't usually go for that sort of thing, but this time I splurged for a few of them. So I went with covers that reflected important moments in my Superman experience. I went with Dan Jurgens 90's cover because that's when I became a regular Superman reader and it has Lois on the cover too. I went with Joshua Middleton 80's cover based on Superman: The Movie as that movie was my first exposure to Superman. Last, I went with the Michael Allred 60's cover because that represents my comic collecting and going back to find classic back issues (plus it's a fun Silver Age style cover).

Happy birthday Big Blue! Hats off to this accomplishment! Here’s to 80 more years for my favorite superhero.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Happy 80th Superman! Like many others here, I'll never be able to put into words what Superman means to me. I can just say that I'm glad he's here.

In celebration of Action 1000, I did something I never do. I ordered variant covers of the issue. I don't usually go for that sort of thing, but this time I splurged for a few of them. So I went with covers that reflected important moments in my Superman experience. I went with Dan Jurgens 90's cover because that's when I became a regular Superman reader and it has Lois on the cover too. I went with Joshua Middleton 80's cover based on Superman: The Movie as that movie was my first exposure to Superman. Last, I went with the Michael Allred 60's cover because that represents my comic collecting and going back to find classic back issues (plus it's a fun Silver Age style cover).
    Those (+ the standard Lee one) are the same covers I picked up! Good choices!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Happy Birthday Superman! You saved my life many years ago when I was in a darker place and I'll always love you for that.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Happy Birthday to the world's most Iconic hero.

Happy birthday big guy.

Happy 80th Anniversary Superman! Thank you for defining the superhero genre for a generation and providing entertainment and inspiration for millions.

Anybody perused the commemorative sale on comixology??

After a quick look, probably get the Gil Kane collection and John Byrne run. Tempted a bit by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez collection.

Happy Birthday to the Man of Steel .

To a better and brighter tomorrow, Superman .

BANNED

Happy birthday big blue

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Anybody perused the commemorative sale on comixology??

After a quick look, probably get the Gil Kane collection and John Byrne run. Tempted a bit by Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez collection.
    I have the hardback copies of the Gil Kane and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez collections. They're great and well worth picking up. Especially considering the discount for the sale.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Happy Birthday big blue. May you have many, many more.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    I have the hardback copies of the Gil Kane and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez collections. They're great and well worth picking up. Especially considering the discount for the sale.
    Thanks...that’s just the tiny nudge I needed.