Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Good issue but I thought both #797 and #798 were better; seemed a bit predictable and I think this new Kid Red Goblin is a step too far. Hoping Slott does not overplay his hand with the finale in 800----but, boy, Immomen's art is just fantastic!
    Of course it's too far. It's Norman Osborn. When has "too far" ever been a problem for him?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by darthblinx View Post
    Pretty good issue, but a couple notes.

I really don't understand why people are surprised by Norman's power level. "Oh wow he's so super duper over powered broken".. no, he's not. He just wasn't shown to be weak to things that were already established to not really work anymore. Ooooh, how powerful. I do agree that Torch should've been capable of doing more against him though (more based on his veteran hero status, not his powers).
    Except Slott ignored the Carnage mini and went for "Goblin Serum + Carnage = immunity", plus that mini didn't show him having a weakness to fire as far as I remember, but he could have got immunity to it too... But either way, the problem is how much of an asspull this looks like with the justification used, if he just mentioned the events of the mini then it'd look better.

And yeah, Johnny could've fought better, he looked like fodder like everyone else lol.

And yeah, it seems Peter may be getting a variation of the Anti Venom symbiote (which again, is weird we had that Parker, not the spider, will win speech).
    I'm pretty sure Flash was just healing Peter's leg, the preview pages show Spidey with a black suit (Which is not necessarily a symbiote), and Flash still has his Anti-Venom suit.

Side note: was Harry Osborn EVER competent? He acts like one of the most neutered males. His father's one of the world's most dangerous and resourceful people, has targeted his family before, and he knows a lot of his tricks because he's used them himself! But he literally NEVER thought he'd come back? Like he consistently has?? "Oh boy, I sure hope my ex wife thought of how to deal with my own father because I'm totally blanking right now." Seriously, Phil seemed like a far more threatening Goblin and he got punked a lot. And don't even bring up the symbiote like it's different this time. It's not. Once again, it's his insane and powered up father going after his children and he has NO PLAN at all for that extremely likely event.
    Yeah, Harry is about as useless there as Mark, only reason why one even remembers he's there is because he gets screen time, on being useless lol.

So it's probably time to start speculating who (if anyone) is going to die in #800. I think there will be one big death, and perhaps another perfunctory one or two to help cement this as a big story. All along, I thought the likely candidate would be either Flash or Harry and I still do. Things are kinda teed up for Flash to have one last big football star/army hero moment and it will be easy to see him being the guy who "goes down swinging". But another part of me thinks Slott could be feeding us a red herring with this issue and maybe Harry finally grows a pair and goes after his dad only to have to sacrifice himself to save his son and others; honestly, Harry hasn't done much since he was resurrected nearly a decade ago so this might make the most sense and maybe seeing his son die a hero renders Norman catatonic or some such thing so he is off the table for a while after the story wraps.

Thoughts?

Mighty Member

So it's probably time to start speculating who (if anyone) is going to die in #800. I think there will be one big death, and perhaps another perfunctory one or two to help cement this as a big story. All along, I thought the likely candidate would be either Flash or Harry and I still do. Things are kinda teed up for Flash to have one last big football star/army hero moment and it will be easy to see him being the guy who "goes down swinging". But another part of me thinks Slott could be feeding us a red herring with this issue and maybe Harry finally grows a pair and goes after his dad only to have to sacrifice himself to save his son and others; honestly, Harry hasn't done much since he was resurrected nearly a decade ago so this might make the most sense and maybe seeing his son die a hero renders Norman catatonic or some such thing so he is off the table for a while after the story wraps.

Thoughts?
    I'm a bit torn. Slott has said that the concept for his last issue (801) is something he's known for awhile. If there's a big death, one would imagine 801 would, in part, address the fallout of said death. In which case, Slott knew for some time his last big act was going to be killing [NAME]. That doesn't really make a ton of sense*. I suppose it's possible (since 800 is giant) that the main story could have the big death and then the B and/or C story address the funeral/fallout with no real mention in 801, but it's a bit hard to imagine a long-term planner like Slott structuring his last two issues that way. On the other hand, I think there's too much jeopardy involved for too many characters for 800 to be entirely satisfying w/o the Red Goblin (or Kid Goblin) putting someone in, at least, mortal peril.

Having rambled all that, I'm going to go with Liz or Harry dying (or close) as the impetus for Normie to turn on his grandpa (or at least hesitate before delivering a killing stroke). That'll be the tide turner in the battle.

As a bit of an aside, Dying Wish as a title for the last centenary arc didn't take on its full meaning until basically the last page of 700. It was understood first as Ock's last gasp (his dying wish to be in a young, healthy body) that we assumed would inevitably be reversed, but then the full meaning was revealed as Peter's dying wish: that Ock be good and live up to the name of Spider-man. One has to wonder if Go Down Swinging won't have a similar double meaning. The sort of obvious meaning would be that whoever is fighting is going to go down swinging (will keep trying even if the odds are not in their favor). A few options for a less obvious meaning: Would it be too macabre for Norman to lose, and in defeat hang himself? Maybe Harry gets a symbiote and dies while swinging on a web (not that he literally dies from swinging, but maybe webs his way into taking a killing shot meant for Liz). Everyone gets de-powered/de-symbioted and it ends in a literal slug fest between Norman and Peter.

*I have a side-hypothesis for why it might make sense for MJ, but it's a bit tin-hat-y, so I'll only mention it if asked

The BIG reveal to "Go down swinging" will be...Austin Powers as the new new new Goblin Groovy baby!
    Hail Hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I'm a bit torn. Slott has said that the concept for his last issue (801) is something he's known for awhile. If there's a big death, one would imagine 801 would, in part, address the fallout of said death. In which case, Slott knew for some time his last big act was going to be killing [NAME]. That doesn't really make a ton of sense*. I suppose it's possible (since 800 is giant) that the main story could have the big death and then the B and/or C story address the funeral/fallout with no real mention in 801, but it's a bit hard to imagine a long-term planner like Slott structuring his last two issues that way. On the other hand, I think there's too much jeopardy involved for too many characters for 800 to be entirely satisfying w/o the Red Goblin (or Kid Goblin) putting someone in, at least, mortal peril.

Having rambled all that, I'm going to go with Liz or Harry dying (or close) as the impetus for Normie to turn on his grandpa (or at least hesitate before delivering a killing stroke). That'll be the tide turner in the battle.

As a bit of an aside, Dying Wish as a title for the last centenary arc didn't take on its full meaning until basically the last page of 700. It was understood first as Ock's last gasp (his dying wish to be in a young, healthy body) that we assumed would inevitably be reversed, but then the full meaning was revealed as Peter's dying wish: that Ock be good and live up to the name of Spider-man. One has to wonder if Go Down Swinging won't have a similar double meaning. The sort of obvious meaning would be that whoever is fighting is going to go down swinging (will keep trying even if the odds are not in their favor). A few options for a less obvious meaning: Would it be too macabre for Norman to lose, and in defeat hang himself? Maybe Harry gets a symbiote and dies while swinging on a web (not that he literally dies from swinging, but maybe webs his way into taking a killing shot meant for Liz). Everyone gets de-powered/de-symbioted and it ends in a literal slug fest between Norman and Peter.

*I have a side-hypothesis for why it might make sense for MJ, but it's a bit tin-hat-y, so I'll only mention it if asked
    Interesting thoughts; I really don't see Liz being the one to die (if there is indeed going to be a major death) as it just wouldn't have as big an impact on Peter and the series as a whole. However, it certainly would be the catalyst for a major change in the Osborn dynamic and that certainly is going to be a big part of the conclusion of this story so time will tell.....

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    The BIG reveal to "Go down swinging" will be...Austin Powers as the new new new Goblin Groovy baby!
    I almost suggested that the final battle would be Normie vs Stanley on the playground . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I almost suggested that the final battle would be Normie vs Stanley on the playground . . .
    Maybe we'll learn the entirety of Slott's run was those two on the playground making up as they go along Spidey's adventures

All-New Member

I enjoyed the issue, but needed to research who the other characters Spidey called to help, due to getting back to comics.

Not sure how I feel about Little Red Goblin. Curious what he's going to be doing in the final two issues.

Thoughts?
    It might be that in 800 someone other than Peter (probably Flash) scarifies themselves to kill Norman. And then 801 is just left with the fallout on whether or not Peter should've done killed Norman when he had his chances.

Cause right now to me it sounds like 801 is gonna be a reflection issue like No One Dies, where Peter dealt with that nightmare sequence. It would also match up with what Slott has written in the last 8 years, where Peter makes the point that "No One Dies", or "I'll save Everyone".
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    It's interesting that the big reveal so far is that someone's alive, not anyone getting killed off.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It's interesting that the big reveal so far is that someone's alive, not anyone getting killed off.
    Yes, although I don’t quite see the point of it yet, beyond planting herself there to protect her grandchildren yet she hasn’t shown the same concern for her son (Harry) who has been a drug abused, died and come back without her being around.

Yes, although I don’t quite see the point of it yet, beyond planting herself there to protect her grandchildren yet she hasn’t shown the same concern for her son (Harry) who has been a drug abused, died and come back without her being around.
    Someone who died and resurrected is damaged goods, so it's better to focus on the grandchildren .

Either way, I theorize Slott did that so Liz is kicked out of Alchemax and Emily becomes its new CEO, as a way to put the toys back where they were.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Someone who died and resurrected is damaged goods, so it's better to focus on the grandchildren .

Either way, I theorize Slott did that so Liz is kicked out of Alchemax and Emily becomes its new CEO, as a way to put the toys back where they were.
    Speaking of Liz being kicked out of Alchemax, what stops the whole house of cards from being torn down once it's revealed that Liz had Norman Osborn, a known murderer and criminal psychopath, as a hidden partner in Alchemax's creation, not to mention the shady stuff Liz herself has gotten up to since then?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Speaking of Liz being kicked out of Alchemax, what stops the whole house of cards from being torn down once it's revealed that Liz had Norman Osborn, a known murderer and criminal psychopath, as a hidden partner in Alchemax's creation, not to mention the shady stuff Liz herself has gotten up to since then?
    Yeah that's a possibility, though a company that size just being destroyed sounds far fetched... But either way, I just hope it stays around, Alchemax being in 616 is cool.