Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Don't forget the Monitor and Anti-Monitor. But yeah, Marvel's approach to their cosmic universe is to explore the very nature of it and create beings like the Beyonder, the Living Tribunal, the Eternals, and Galactus that represent different facets of reality or forces of nature. DC, on the other hand, just like to say to its fans "look at this cool alien race we just thought up."
    The problem with the Marvel approach is they are always trying to out do themselves. At one time Galactus was the be all end all. Then they had Eternity. Then the Living Tribunal. And so on. Marvel is in a never ending pattern of having to one up themselves. It is not about exploring the nature of the universe anymore it is just "what can be are next thing that is bigger than the last super powerful ultimate big thing that we just used?"

Mighty Member

Here are my favorite cosmic beings:

Nekron

Krona

Death

Mighty Member

Lucifer/Michael

The Decreator

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    The problem with the Marvel approach is they are always trying to out do themselves. At one time Galactus was the be all end all. Then they had Eternity. Then the Living Tribunal. And so on. Marvel is in a never ending pattern of having to one up themselves. It is not about exploring the nature of the universe anymore it is just "what can be are next thing that is bigger than the last super powerful ultimate big thing that we just used?"
    Galactus has never been as powerful as COIE Anti-Monitor. Also, Krona is above Eternity, too. At one point, Elaine had the power of Yahweh himself. And Swamp Thing nearly became God. DC has the same stuff as Marvel.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by golgi View Post
    Galactus has never been as powerful as COIE Anti-Monitor. Also, Krona is above Eternity, too. At one point, Elaine had the power of Yahweh himself. And Swamp Thing nearly became God. DC has the same stuff as Marvel.
    Not even close. Galactus was created 20 years before the Anti-Moniter so of coarse he is not going to seem as powerful. Krona is not an all powerful being and has been beaten countless time by just the Green Lanterns. If he was on the same level as Eternity he would have destroyed the whole Core.

Swamp Thing is not a cosmic level being. You through him in space away from a planet and he would be able to do nothing.

Wow. I did not expect so much answers so quickly ! It's a little overwhelming ! I think i'll start with Sandman (since it'll get a whole line dedicated to it in the future) and then the Green Lanterns (if someone could give an entry point for them, it would be awesome) and then the LoS, which seems almost daunting in its size and scope.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Wow. I did not expect so much answers so quickly ! It's a little overwhelming ! I think i'll start with Sandman (since it'll get a whole line dedicated to it in the future) and then the Green Lanterns (if someone could give an entry point for them, it would be awesome) and then the LoS, which seems almost daunting in its size and scope.

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern...antern+Rebirth
    https://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern.../dp/140125134X

That should be a good jumping on point. Read GL: Rebirth (from 2004) before getting into the solo run. There is some context to know about Hal Jordan as a character, but that's what Wikipedia is for. Basically, though, he turned evil for a while back in the 90s and this run (the Geoff Johns run) redeemed the character after the revelations of GL Rebirth.

Aside from DC not using them, they also tend to be restricted to certain characters or franchises.

Trigon, Nekron, Neron, Mordru, Time Trapper, Anti-Monitor, Darkseid, Eclipso, Monarch, Parallax, Blaze & Satanus, Imperiex, Lords of Order/Lords of Chaos, the Endless, Overmaster, the New Gods, the Olympian Gods & Titans of Myth, X'Hal, Nebiros, Queen of Fables, Shazam (the Wizard), Nebula Man, among others...

Despite a select few being used in events (and rarely ever appearing again), most of them never appear outside of the hero or team book they originated in.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    For Green Lantern, the best entry point would be Green Lantern: Rebirth (the mini-series) which featured the return of Hal Jordan.
    For Legion, the best entry point would be the Great Darkness Saga, which begins Levitz's long run and featured Darkseid in the 30th Century.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Covering the Vega System in a more vast and expansive ways and filling in the history about the 3 destroyed world, 3 unnamed worlds and various other stories that can sprout. The Citadel Fell in both NTT and Omega Men in the 80's so there is no reason to constantly have the same formula especially because they may tell good stories but don't sell. DC is becoming more open to 'Verses that are independent of Earth Prime. Honestly since Batman sells so well then you could have a Zur-En-Arrh Verse where is has been more famously been known as a planet in another star system. Detective Comics #256 had Batman and Robin traveling to a planet in the Vega System called Tora and helping liberate it from aliens that looked like Gordians and then made a pact. This could be like a continuation of a Batman that survived his earth destruction by moving to another planet. Use him as a gateway for knowledge about the Vega System in a 8-12 issue run then branch off with a more known Omega Men and other groups.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Not even close. Galactus was created 20 years before the Anti-Moniter so of coarse he is not going to seem as powerful. Krona is not an all powerful being and has been beaten countless time by just the Green Lanterns. If he was on the same level as Eternity he would have destroyed the whole Core.

Swamp Thing is not a cosmic level being. You through him in space away from a planet and he would be able to do nothing.
    Krona did become one with the universe. He also beat down Galactus like he was nothing.

Swamp Thing has been described as cosmic. And Swamp Thing can reform ANYWHERE in the universe.

Mighty Member

Here are the Swamp Thing pics.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Aside from DC not using them, they also tend to be restricted to certain characters or franchises.

Trigon, Nekron, Neron, Mordru, Time Trapper, Anti-Monitor, Darkseid, Eclipso, Monarch, Parallax, Blaze & Satanus, Imperiex, Lords of Order/Lords of Chaos, the Endless, Overmaster, the New Gods, the Olympian Gods & Titans of Myth, X'Hal, Nebiros, Queen of Fables, Shazam (the Wizard), Nebula Man, among others...

Despite a select few being used in events (and rarely ever appearing again), most of them never appear outside of the hero or team book they originated in.
    A lot of those have been used throughout the last decade or so. The New Gods recently (Godhead) crossed over with GL, etc...

Some of those died off, like Imperiex and Sandman will have it's own line of books.

Mighty Member

I think I'm a little confused. What exactly makes people like Swamp Thing, Sandman, Lucifer, etc cosmic heroes/characters? It's just that when i think cosmic. I immediately think of characters like Adam Strange, Lobo, Captain Comet, Omega Men and the New Gods. I figured that it would be a character who is strictly in the galaxy. But yes, i would definitely like to know more about the cosmic side. It feels so small compared to Marvel.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Plenty of great recommendations above, but if you want to see the best DC Cosmic has to offer, look to the future for the Legion of Superheroes. Along with having an amazing cast of characters and some of DC's best stories, the world building is nearly unrivaled. Dozens of planets, each with their own unique cultures and relationships with one another, most with notable characters coming from them. And of course there's plenty of cool sci-fi concepts mixed in among all the politics.

Here's my recommendation list of places to start:

Silver Age Archives: If you want to start from the beginning, DC has all of their Silver Age adventures collected. It's incredibly goofy at times, but,being the beginning and all, it's a great introduction to this universe. There are plenty of dramatic stories, a solid amount of serialized stories and it's in my opinion the best Silver Age stuff there is. https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Super-...eores+archives

Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes: If the Silver Age isn't your cup of tea, these stories from the late 70's might be up your alley. Some classic stuff here to help you get your feet wet. DC is currently collecting this series in fat trades. https://www.amazon.com/Superboy-Legi...-heroes+vol.+1

The Great Darkness Saga: The most popular Legion story of all time. https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Super-...+darkness+saga

Legionnaires Book One: My personal recommendation. This is the start of the 'Reboot Legion', nicknamed as such by fans for being the first time the team rebooted. This incarnation of the team lasted from 1994 till 2004 and it's my favorite, hands down. This is just as much 'the beginning' in terms of continuity as the Silver Age stuff so you won't be confused at all and you'll get to see the whole team, and universe, come together. It's really brilliant stuff and like the 70's book, DC is currently collecting it. https://www.amazon.com/Legionnaires-...aires+book+one
    Assam your links are dead.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.