Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Question If You Wrote Comics: Batman

I wasn't sure whether I would be doing this so soon or at all but anyway here goes. Welcome to another If You Wrote Comics thread everyone. And this time it's all about the Dark Knight Detective, the Batman. As you all should know the standard ground rules apply just imagine if DC gave you free reign to do anything you want with Batman, his world, villains, supporting cast, and a problem or two that still exists. And maybe even come up with some new directions for Batman and everyone he knows. Also if I wasn't clear enough Birds of Prey and Red Hood and the Outlaws fall under Batman territory at least to me anyway so don't be afraid to do anything with them either. So have fun everyone.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-18-2018 at 02:02 PM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I'd keep things pretty much the way they are, seeing how the Bat Family books are my favorites in comics right now. Why tamper with perfection?

Now Superman or Spider-Man on the other hand, I would so overhaul those properties in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-18-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'd cut the baby fat.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Boisterously Confused

Simplify. One Robin. One Batgirl. Less Ironman. More Zorro.

Above all, imperfection. A genius? Yes. An elite athlete? Yes. The Best Ever At Everything? No.

I would keep all the books that are being published now. The only changes I would make are:
    -I would add a Batman and Robin book that would have story arcs that focus on Batman teaming-up with one of his Robins (these stories would be set in the past for Dick, Jason and Tim)
    - Detective Comics would only tell Detective/Mystery stories
    -Tom King would not be allowed to write any story about Batman.

I assume "If You Wrote Comics: Superman" is next.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Fantastic Member

1. I'm bringing back the Oval for at least 5 Years.

2. If Batman and Catwoman were married when I got on the character, I would divorce them quickly.

3. The only Batfamily character I'd have show up is Dick, and maybe Babs too. Supporting cast would mainly be comprised of non costumed people.

4. Joker would not be used unless I had a truly interesting idea. And no more "This Joker story will change everything!" stuff, either.

5. I'd limit the Frank Miller influences as often as possible. Time to get back to Batman being a detective adventurer, and not a low-level version of Iron Man.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Morrison did pretty much what I wanted, everything is canon in a way, and some of the weird stuff has an explanation.

Batman started out dark because he's still caught up in tragedy. Then Dick Grayson arrived and his world brightened. He feels like he has a family again. Batman became super dark again because Jason Todd died before finally reaching a balance when he accepted Tim. So by the time Damian arrived he's pretty much reached the balance of maturity.

I'll add that he needs to be young and unwise enough at the start to feel that training a child fighting gunmen is a good idea.

I also like Snyder and King's interpretation that Bruce was shaken enough to be depressed and almost commit suicide because that explains why he just can't stop being Batman. The costume, the cave, the toys are a child's wish to have a hero, and Batman is his depression medicine that even the existence of his extended family and Selina can't completely cure.

As for the tone of the book, it will be dominantly detective and psychological. There's still going to be fun superhero stuff, but the mechs and techs should be reserved for Justice League.

Detective Comics will be the family book. Kinda like now, but less epic and more detective. Batman guest stars as an overseer, but the main focus of the book are whichever GCPD members and family members related to the case.

The Batman book will have the family too but only limited to whichever character are living in the manor at the time, like Alfred or the Robin of each particular era.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-18-2018 at 06:02 PM.

I'd write an origin for The Mad Hatter.

Has he ever had an origin story?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I'd cut the baby fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Simplify. One Robin. One Batgirl. Less Ironman. More Zorro.

Above all, imperfection. A genius? Yes. An elite athlete? Yes. The Best Ever At Everything? No.
    Pretty much this. I'd maybe change it to two Robins (Dick and Damian) and have Kate around as Batwoman but very much separate from the main Bat-Family. And not Bruce's cousin.

I don't know if I want a more "grounded" direction because I love my Gotham garish and full of mad scientists and the occasional low level supernatural threats like ghosts, vampires and werewolves. But way more focus on civilian characters (one-shots and recurring) than Bat-God and a large network of vigilantes.

Family is at the core of the Batman story and the Bat family is one of the best thing's about the Bat Franchise.
    Though I believe the sheer number makes it difficult to coordinate not to mention that it makes one wonder why Gotham is still so crime ridden if the Bat Battalion is patrolling every night. Trim the fat.
    Robin, Nightwing, Hood, Batgirl and one more. I like Signal personally.

I would make the Batfamily a thing again ie. have them actually interact not just an in name only thing however do this in a new book not the main title.

The main Bat title would be solo Batman with some Robin but tight focus stays on Batman.

Tec would be Detective stories.

A new Batman and Robin Book
    Let Gleason complete Robin Son of Batman chapters 2 and 3.
    I like the idea of the current Outsiders title with Cass and Duke. Tim can join that as well.
    I don't like the idea of Catwoman becoming a hero. That ruin's the thing that made her special and made her romance with Batman interesting in the 1st place. Bruce might as well flirt with Diana, Zatana or any other heroine.
    Same goes for the rest of the Sirens.

Nightwing should also have a Brave and the Bold style book where he partners with different DC heroes to solve crime and have adventures.

RHATO is currently working but would like to see more interaction with Jason and his family.

I know that's at lot of books but I can dream
    Last edited by Fergus; 04-19-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Usagi View Post
    I'd write an origin for The Mad Hatter.

Has he ever had an origin story?
    Not that I'm aware of (in the comics anyway), anyone?
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I assume "If You Wrote Comics: Superman" is next.
    I question doing that because in some ways Superman is good right now but maybe I am over exaggerating so I guess I'll do it.

Also I'll throw my hat in as well if I did Batman I would get rid of certain characters and focus on Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Damian Wayne, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Barbara Gordon, Helena Bertinelli, and the man himself Bruce Wayne.

Barbara Gordon will be Oracle as always and she will be the new head of Spyral after helping Dick defeat Mr. Minos. The Birds of Prey will answer directly to Oracle as always and become the Impossible Mission Force wing of Spyral with Dick who will be Nightwing as the Ethan Hunt of the team not James Bond. I'm sorry but as much fun as people have with Dick as the most sexualised character in DC that has to go. Huntress will be Nightwing's primary partner on the Birds of Prey with Zinda Blake providing the transportation. I will work out Black Canary's role in due course. The Calculator will be running the DC version of the Syndicate and will be less focused on learning who Oracle is and more on creating a Rogue Nation.

Detective Comics will be all about Batman doing detective work and he will team up with various members of the Batfamily from time to time even the Red Hood. Yes even Jason will get more opportunities to connect to the Batfamily's head more.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-19-2018 at 01:28 AM.

Incredible Member

I would favor a holistic approach. It's appealing to see a version of the Batman story where the Family works well together (for the most part), because it's fresh and different.

Batman
    I mean, I just want Tom King to keep writing this forever, mostly. But editorially, I'd like to see Batman assume the responsibility of being the head of the Family. Revive the Batman Inc idea, with Bruce & Selina coordinating teams in Gotham and around the globe. Meanwhile they can never stop being Batman & Catwoman. The new dynamic duo handle the main super-villains & threats in Gotham.

I think the superhero battles would underscore the real threat to Batman — his self-destructive tendencies. The plan is working, but can he allow that to happen? What happens if Gotham is safe enough because of Batman, now they don't need Batman?

We'd also see sub-plots of Victims Inc., where Bruce & Selina work with Leslie Thompkins without the costumes to help rehabilitate super-villains they just took down in their costumed lives.

Detective Comics
    Batman is never the star, although he's in every issue. His function as the head of the Family, which we see in detail in Batman, is like Oracle/M to the star of the issue. The star rotates among the Family members, similar to The Brave & the Bold, but only among the Bat characters instead of the larger DCU. You might see Superman in a story, but he would never be the star of an issue, for instance.

The focus/stars alternate in pairs of two. Each is a dynamic duo, like the original Batman & Robin team, a buddy system of complementary skillsets. The pairs can sometimes change-up, but I think these character scenarios would be the most rewarding:

Nightwing & Robin (best dynamic ever, obviously) Nightwing is the first Robin, Bruce's first student, and Damian is Bruce's first son.

Batgirl & Jim Gordon (classic mystery stories like Veronica Mars/Nancy Drew) Father-daughter detectives, solving mysteries, keeping secrets. Fun.

Batwoman & Red Hood (militaristic espionage) Both are gritty mid-00s characters. Both can be loose cannons, both are working on bettering themselves. They should be on Metal Gear Solid type missions.

Red Robin & Azrael (science vs religion dynamic) It's the broken dynamic from Knightsquest. Now they're both older and wiser, but still fundamentally different. Friction leads to fire. This is where the comic might wax philosophically on things like — Batman's war on crime is technological but it's also based on big faith in certain ideas. What if those ideas are wrong? How would we know?

Spoiler & Orphan (best friends, the only two who understand each other kinda dynamic) Cass and Steph are a great combo. I think Damian would appear here sometimes too, he's a great foil for them since Cass & Steph are maybe the purest friends of any of these combos. So Robin would ruin their love a little bit with his presence, but he'd connect Cass directly to the main overall plot, or at least one of them, which would involve some kind of League of Assassins villainy, Deathstroke, Lady Shiva, and they should add some new "high level martial artist" villain characters so Cass has someone new to beat.

Duke & Harper Row & the inspired Gotham youth/We Are Robin characters are supporting characters in both books. They're smart enough to not want to be on coordinated superhero missions, but they're taking the lessons they've learned to teach it to others.

Tim, Steph, & Cass would also see Duke/Harper on-campus at University, and maybe covertly help them that way too or something.
    Last edited by gregpersons; 04-19-2018 at 02:18 AM.

Fantastic Member

No tom king writing him who made him a weak incompetent boob in his run. The only time he acted normal was in the superfriends issues and the annual that is it. He trains his students they have their own titles and things to do all over the world. Detective just him solving crimes from murder rape corruption of the elite whether political or in business aka silk stockings as well real life crimes. Batman is where he handle the weird cases the metas the freaks he fights and magic. Birds of prey mainly babs huntress black canary spoiler and cass in whatever code name you wish to give. Knightwing dicks solo adventures titans the team he leads. Robin damian solo. Supersons still going on in my dream scenario. Batman and Catwoman did date but do to irriconsible differences went their seperate ways years ago. Red hood and the Outlaws no change Batwoman no change either. New characters have their own team book as well. Return of Gotham Central as well.