Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default If you could write/publish a Star Wars Canon Novel...

...what would it be about? Something I've been pondering a bit lately now that Disney and Lucas Film are getting novels and books out more consistently.

Seeing how that we're getting Last Shot as a set of three different stories exploring the Han/Lando relationship both before Solo, after Solo and shortly after the Aftermath Trilogy ends, I would be inspired to do something similar with what I dub Star Wars: Children of the Sands. Basically it would be a set of three novellas focusing on Anakin, Luke and Rey as children... three different would-be heroes who share in common the difficulty of growing up on the harsh, unforgiving worlds of Tattoine and Jakku, and allowing canon and a writer (or three) to flesh out a moment in their early years.

Anakin's tale could resolve around his discovery of C-3PO and his drive to becoming a Pod Racer and the start of his rivalry with Sebula whilst Watto and Shimi watch over him in different ways. Luke's story would be about becoming friends with Briggs, his pilot skills and first trip to the canyon whilst the Lars remain very protective. And finally Rey's story would show how she struggles to cope without the parents she cannot recall as she picks up the skills to survive on Niima Outpost with the aggressive Unkar Plutt keeping an eye on her. Basically three stories showing the similarities and differences those three heroes to be of three different eras have. I think it would make for a nice read, something like that.

BANNED

It would be so horribly over deadline Lucasfilm would blacklist me and hire somebody else to finish it.

And there would be as few characters in it who have appeared in anything ever before asI canget awaywith. Certainly none of the main ones.

I'm sure it would have Mandalorians in it. Bad ass Mandolarian Deathwatch commandos. Of course I would have them be the main villains instead of the cool antiheroes.
    Maybe something about the Mandos getting all traditional and conquery after the Empire got scattered, and the New Republic has to sort them out.

Empty is thy hand!

I could write Clone Wars stories forever. The setting is just such a sci-fi storytelling playground with lots of opportunities for drama and situations of ethical compromise.

The Disney stuff does nothing for me.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I'd probably write something straight out of my gameplay experiences in Star Wars Battlefront (classic). We need some heroic blaster characters that can hold their own against dark side force users.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayneJr. View Post
    I could write Clone Wars stories forever. The setting is just such a sci-fi storytelling playground with lots of opportunities for drama and situations of ethical compromise.

The Disney stuff does nothing for me.
    I'd actually quite like it if they created a set of 'heroic' characters for the CIS who believe in the Separatist dream (without being connected to the Sith or the greedier Council types) and who you could respect and route for. I also figure a couple of them could have ended up as proto-Rebels in the early days of the Empire,assuming they weren't killed first...

The life of Jar Jar Binks.

I got nothing else.

iMan 42s

A CIS droid goes off the reservation and with its newfound freedom.., it ends up in an Empire controlled galaxy with the galaxies greatest "protectors" looking to shoot on sight. Sucks for it. So it ends up going on droid adventures trying to escape (explosive) deactivation all the while trying to figure out where it belongs in the galaxy considering it's not only one of the bad guys but it has no place in the current regime.

Otherwise the Darktrooper phase 0 (the cyborg clones) having to come to terms with the life it leads while also gaining a longer life due to the modifications made to it to keep it functioning. Basically being turned into a monster for a longer lifespan/usage and having to live life with that as he sees his former comrades living happy lives outside of the military but otherwise shriveling up and dying by 40.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I would set something right after Revenge of the Sith and really show Palpatine and Vader hunting down the Jedi who survived the purge. Dark Horse did a few comics dealing with this, but there is just so much you can still do. How many Jedi survived and what happened to them? Some I am sure fell at Vaders hand, but others had to have made their escape. I just can't believe out of the whole Jedi Order the only survivors were Yoda, Kenobi, Ashoka, and Kanan. Were some just so so broken seeing the Order destroyed they left like Luke did to live as hermits in the old temples or in the wild areas of space? Did they try and fight back and were slaughtered under the weight of the new Empire? Did they hide that they used to be Jedi and assumed new lives?

There is just so much story potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I would set something right after Revenge of the Sith and really show Palpatine and Vader hunting down the Jedi who survived the purge. Dark Horse did a few comics dealing with this, but there is just so much you can still do. How many Jedi survived and what happened to them? Some I am sure fell at Vaders hand, but others had to have made their escape. I just can't believe out of the whole Jedi Order the only survivors were Yoda, Kenobi, Ashoka, and Kanan. Were some just so so broken seeing the Order destroyed they left like Luke did to live as hermits in the old temples or in the wild areas of space? Did they try and fight back and were slaughtered under the weight of the new Empire? Did they hide that they used to be Jedi and assumed new lives?

There is just so much story potential.
    Is that kind of the premise of the new Darth Vader comic? They've had characters like Jocasta Nu (the Jedi Librarian) appear in that, alongside some other survivors.

I intend to give the Lords of the Sith audiobook a listen soon though...

Astonishing Member

Tales of the Jedi from Dark Horse produced an arc (actually it was two or three) so powerful to me that it made a one time character one of my all time favorite character is the Star Wars universe. That character was Exar Kun. I have always been drawn to the Sith Lords, (and wrestling heels for that matter) but Exar is by far my second favorite, to Vader. So I would either want a novelization of Exal and Ulic's adventure or have him survive (ala Maul and Boba Fett) and tell his further adventures. He is a character I want to know more about, not enough to play video games, where I hear he has multiple adventures, but in a book.

Truth be told Zero Hunter's idea is great too, it is what I wanted from the prequels. How did the Jedi go from a planet full of powerful knights to by the time we get into the original trilogy, to there are only two left hiding out in abandoned areas, one living under an alias and both denying their identity when first questioned about it by Luke Skywalker???

BANNED

There was never a planet full of Jedi. More like 10-20.000 or so at the most.

And Order 66 wiped out the vast majority of them, and then Vader and the Inquisitorium supposedly did a splendid job of the mopping up afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Tales of the Jedi from Dark Horse produced an arc (actually it was two or three) so powerful to me that it made a one time character one of my all time favorite character is the Star Wars universe. That character was Exar Kun. I have always been drawn to the Sith Lords, (and wrestling heels for that matter) but Exar is by far my second favorite, to Vader. So I would either want a novelization of Exal and Ulic's adventure or have him survive (ala Maul and Boba Fett) and tell his further adventures. He is a character I want to know more about, not enough to play video games, where I hear he has multiple adventures, but in a book.

Truth be told Zero Hunter's idea is great too, it is what I wanted from the prequels. How did the Jedi go from a planet full of powerful knights to by the time we get into the original trilogy, to there are only two left hiding out in abandoned areas, one living under an alias and both denying their identity when first questioned about it by Luke Skywalker???
    Exar's actually one of the antagonists in the Jedi Academy trilogy, where it reveals he survived as a trapped Sith ghost in the Yavin temple that Luke uses, and corrupts some of Luke's students and puts Luke himself in a coma. Although of course that's no longer canon (I wonder where Luke's academy in canon is supposed to be?)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    I loved that series. Exur Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma were two of the most interesting characters Dark Horse ever came up with. Qel-Droma especially with his rise and then fall and then finally redemption was just an epic tale.

So I have an idea. Don't know if it's been done before or not though. What about an Ex-imperial Officer who leaves after Endor but doesn't want to rejoin any sort of war. Then through a series of circumstances is forced to team with a Rebel officer for survival. Maybe have them argue over which side was really right.

Disney's kind of been using the Imperial deserter/defector angle a bit already, I think. Not just Finn, there's a lot of that going on in the current EU too.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth