Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Question If You Wrote Comics: Superman

Well here I am with yet another If You Wrote Comics thread and this time just imagine if DC Comics gave you full reign to do anything you want to the Last Son of Krypton and the Man of Tomorrow Superman. So feel free to write out what you'd do to Superman, his rogues gallery, and supporting characters and maybe figure out what new direction you want to take Superman on that will renew him for the modern era and fix a problem or two that may exist. And in honour of Englentine the one who runs I LOVE COMICS who inspired the If You Wrote Comics threads and Superman's 80th anniversary and 1000th issue milestone I give you the video that show his take on Superman and like him I prefer to streamline Superman's powers as well. And I actually side with his idea that Supergirl and Power Girl should be siblings to fix the issues regarding her usage. So I encourage you all to check it out he has some solid stuff that makes his channel fun to look into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw2FAPrIGic
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 05-29-2018 at 01:03 PM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

In no particular order.

- This is something I saw on another post but I think I'd make Clark's day job and primary source of income be writing books and/or as the caretaker for the building where he lives.
    - with the exception of the Golden Age power-set, All Of Clark's abilities are a result of his brain manipulating the fundamental forces of reality and/or changing quantum mechanics( like the Plutonian). i.e he's physically strong enough to leap tall buildings in a single bound. But in order to throw said building into space his brain needs to weaken the pull of gravity on it, while at the same time transferring all that force to Clark's body to (temporarily) make him "stronger". On a thematic level, it means that Superman's very presence changes the universe.
    - Still on the topic of his powers I would have it so that sun increases his body's density to around 250 tons, which he can convert into energy for his endless stamina. but because he can manipulate gravity he weighs only 220 pounds.
    - Clark and Jimmy live in the same apartment building, but in different floors.
    - Clark has cyan colored eyes. But depending on the power he's using they can shine golden. And because of that, he's had to wear the glasses for most of his life.
    - he met three members of the legion of superheroes in disguise during his freshman year of high school. Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad and Cosmic boy. Also, Lana Lang becomes the Insect Queen via kryptonite triggered Metagene.
    - Pete Ross is Jewish. And Hebrew is the human language that most resembles kryptonese.
    - in college he meets and befriends John Henry Irons and Chloe Sullivan. He also starts dating Lori Lemaris.
    - his first heroic deed is shoving an abusive husband through a wall, back in Smallville when he's 15.

That's about as far as I got right now. But I'll keep updating.

BANNED

Superdad, Superkid, and Lois are reveiled to be White Martians.

New 52 Superman breaks out of the Phantom Zone prison they had stuck him in and kicks their asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Superdad, Superkid, and Lois are reveiled to be White Martians.

New 52 Superman breaks out of the Phantom Zone prison they had stuck him in and kicks their asses.
    Not a fan of the family dynamic or the old Superman are you? Why?
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 04-19-2018 at 02:42 AM.

BANNED

Have Lex work in crime prevention labs and occasionally partner up with Lois, they can develop a kind of working relationship (and there's synergy with that Metropolis tv show) while creating some lingering tension with her and Clark. Jon could even take a liking to Lex. Lex of course fudges this latest chance at doing good up in some way.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 04-19-2018 at 03:37 AM. Reason: Off topic

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Have Lex work in crime prevention labs and occasionally partner up with Lois, they can develop a kind of working relationship (and there's synergy with that Metropolis tv show) while creating some lingering tension with her and Clark. Jon could even take a liking to Lex. Lex of course fudges this latest chance at doing good up in some way.
    Thank you for understanding and that is an interesting idea to see Lex Luthor do more than plan and scheme in his headquarters. It should prove an interesting challenge for Clark to worry about Jon getting attached to Luthor. And another challenge for Jon to handle learning that Lex is truly a bad man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Thank you for understanding and that is an interesting idea to see Lex Luthor do more than plan and scheme in his headquarters. It should prove an interesting challenge for Clark to worry about Jon getting attached to Luthor. And another challenge for Jon to handle learning that Lex is truly a bad man.
    I always wondered why Lex did'nt pursue other options every time he purchases the Daily Planet...controlling the stories they print about him is usually the chief reason he takes control, but what if he wanted to try his hand at actual clear-cut journalism?

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I always wondered why Lex did'nt pursue other options every time he purchases the Daily Planet...controlling the stories they print about him is usually the chief reason he takes control, but what if he wanted to try his hand at actual clear-cut journalism?
    Well it's always easier and more flexible for Lex to be the villain with good publicity and he practically owns the shtick not just in DC but in all of comics of course the other person who could challenge Lex for that title is Wilson Fisk. I'd happily write a crossover featuring them together. But of course why would Lex Luthor become a journalist for?

This can become a hot topic for die hard Superman fans. Seeing that quite a number of times we debate about it.

- Forget reboots. Superman does not need it ever. The line wide New-52 like adjustment does not solve problems. If you want to change something Mister Mxyzptlk is the go to guy. Why make such changes when you have such a handy tool for making tweaks every 10-20 years?

- Keep the New-52 origin with the jeans wearing Superman when he starts. A fighter of the oppressed was a big part of Superman to begin with. This can continue even now. When he is battling the lesser problems he can wear the down to earth clothing. New-52 run had the red as well as blue T-shirts. Do it like that when fighting injustice. For larger threats bring the costume. You know which kinds of fights will have the larger risk of torn costumes. An uncomplicated origin like this is better. The 18 issue New-52 run stays in canon.

- Superman robots are in. Bottle city of Kandor is in. From Super pets, Krypto is fine. I will try to get those golden age/silver age/bronze age/post-crisis concepts which are useful. Modernize them.

- Two books would do the job. With an option for more. The Bendis idea is really good. One book shall focus on the larger then life elements. Superman. Out there concepts. And big adventures. Second book to show the person Superman and his world. Clark Kent as reporter. How he's fighting for the little guy. How he is living with his family. Lois and Jon. His friends at the Daily Planet.

Both books can have back up features. Action can have one for Lois. Superman can have one for Jon. Mix them up with Steel, Jimmy, etc. They need not be more then 4-5 pages per issue. But they can be used to develop one or two characters as you wish. Of course, there are options. Like a Jimmy Olsen book with the Young Animal line. Or a Lois Lane book. In that case others can be highlighted in the backup features. But make no mistake i will write both books as Superman books. Only capturing the two sides of his persona. Superman and Clark Kent.

Even as Clark Kent in Action he's fighting those on the ground fights like corruption, organized crime, etc. Expect a lot of jeans and T-shirt wearing Superman in Action. Action's scope is Metropolis and the like. Superman's scope is the whole universe and beyond. Whether it be microverse or space. Whether it be millions of years in the future or past by time travel. Or even beyond this universe. I will take some ideas from Fantastic Four for Superman book. Supes can be the whole Fantastic Four rolled into one. (Fantastic Four is not a good comparison. All Star Superman or Alan Moore's Supreme are better. Its basically Superman with all his toys and wonders). This one is likely to have a lesser presence of his supporting cast then Action.

-He need not wear the same costume each time. I will have both the classical suit as well as the Reborn suit to be used in intervals. You do not need to give up the past and still adapt to the future. Nothing is in vaccum. The past informs the present and thus the future. (Lol. I may end up using the classical one more).

- Keeping the origin i can always bring back the Kents or rewrite reality. Since Death of Superman is canon, they need to be there during the story for example. Mxy is a useful tool for such matters. Without changing anything from the origin you can change everything. And still undo everything you tweaked. They died. Its true. But the death can be tweaked into disappearance. Just a split second before their deaths Mxy made them disappear to another dimension and brought a double. In a later fight with Mxy that's revealed. So, everything from the origin was true. Even the death. That's one example of playing with reality. Needless to say Mxy needs to be around from time to time, to remind the people what his stuff is. And one can focus on being additive to the mythology.

I think this much is for now. Idea was to make the Superman such that if we squint a bit everything has happened. But one can choose what to do with it. Retell older stories. Morrison had a field day in his Batman run. And with this framework made, march ahead and tell more and more stories. New villains. New concepts. New ideas. If i have to say more i will be back.

And yes i will be here in CBR reading other fans. I may not implement anything. But its good to hear. And one can get one or two ideas which one may like.

Edit: And one of the things which DC needs to do is catch them young. A line of books for 5-6 year olds. Weekly. Digital exclusive. And its perfect for Superman. Superman is a character who is naturally more appealing to younger kids. I would make a series on Superboy. Not related to the main series. But its Superboy Clark Kent in the framework of Silver or Bronze Age. Kids would love it. Now that i think of it i don't think i have a lot of original ideas.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-19-2018 at 04:48 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If I wrote comics I'd try to purify Superman. Like sure, you can't help but find influence elsewhere, but I'd try to adhere to stamping out backwards flowing influence like taking something from DBZ to incorporate into Superman for example.

I'd also try to challenge my artists and readers with my interpretations of his powers. Like you'd see things suddenly change from panel to panel in ways that represent his invisible speed and generally just have him physically react much less. It'd be cool if someday I actually turn things around and write comics, and some of the specific ideas I had in mind were able to be demonstrated. Not very practical, but I'll see how long I can develop my ideas and hold out before chucking them.

That Action Comics 1000 gave me a idea for a yearly comics that would be released around Christmas every year.

It would simply be about Superman helping normal people like building a house for homeless people. And basically, it would be a bunch of writers coming together and writing small stories about just human situations like this.

Really, I think that Superman being here for everyone is a big aspect of the character that can be forgotten and rightfully so, it doesn't make the most exciting stories but I think once a year, for Christmas, it would be nice to remind people of the Superman spirit of trying to help people just for the heck of it in a feel good book

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Not a fan of the family dynamic or the old Superman are you? Why?
    Just because.

Also, I really liked New 52 Superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    If I wrote comics I'd try to purify Superman. Like sure, you can't help but find influence elsewhere, but I'd try to adhere to stamping out backwards flowing influence like taking something from DBZ to incorporate into Superman for example.
    Jon and super-powered Damien fuze to become Jonian

Lois and Clark are married. No Jon (sorry). Jon could exist in Elseworlds. Kon is Superboy and was created at Cadmus. He’s half Clark half Lex. Kara was born after Clark as Argo City was preserved for a while. Kara was adopted by Fred and Edna Danvers and goes by Linda. Kent’s are alive and are quasi-raising Kon. Kon is dating Miss Martian. Brainiac is a Coluan AI that subverted Krypton’s computer system to trick the council into thinking Krypton wasn’t going to blow up. I would also introduce Tempus from Lois & Clark into the comics.
    Last edited by KurtW95; 04-19-2018 at 06:56 AM.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Just because.

Also, I really liked New 52 Superman.
    The New 52 Superman sure stood out a little too much though.