Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But if you ask me to write a good mystery story for Batman? I'll struggle to write that one story, and probably won't have a second one in me.

The problem is never power levels. The problem is always getting the right talent on the right book. And when it comes to Superman, DC almost always makes the wrong/mediocre choice. And on the occasion they make the right choice, it's usually short-lived.
    Well, then that kinda sounds like the wrong choice haha. Superman has maintained more comics than most others combined and overall was still the best selling superhero in comics as of Feb 2015 (https://www.statista.com/statistics/...g-comic-books/)

I can imagine it's important to have creators who not only have a second one in them, but a 50th versus a 10th or 20th. Not sure how much of a planet buster I'd write, but I'd try not to work myself into a corner before I can develop a classic feeling storytelling engine for my run. But if I never get to say, write a scene where he whoops Thor I'd still surely have him know the respect of planet busters.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    It was an extrapolation of Eliot S! Maggin's explanation in his first Superman novel.

Since two stranded space wanderers found each other on the big red planet ten thousand star orbits before, the world had been in its death throes. In geological terms it had been enough time to draw a final breath. In human terms it had been over seven hundred wildly successful generations. Enough time to build a prosperous, self satisfied civilization. Enough time to grow proud of a race that had tamed a world so unfit for human life that early generations had to sleep more than half the day and felt more comfortable crawling on all fours than walking erect. The gravity was that intense.

If ever in the history of the galaxy there had been a test of survival of the fittest among the human family, it was on Krypton. The weak died before they could produce offspring, yet the infant mortality rate was frightful for thousands of years. But here, as on the thousands of other more habitable worlds across the stars to which man had migrated, the human species displayed its surprising adaptability. The land changed man long before man changed the land.

The race's physiology was subtly altered while outward appearances changed very little. Muscle tissue became denser. Motor reflexes became sharper. Perceptions broadened. Optic capacities widened. A whole new range of physical abilities began developing, just to allow human beings to live under normal conditions on a planet whose gravity was monstrous, whose weather changes were drastic, whose sun was unusually variable as to heat and generally too dull as to light intensity. Finally, when the suffering was near an end, when subsistence on resources of a near-depleted planet became possible, the race of humankind began to spread north and south from the relatively low-gravity equatorial regions, and the humans began to build.

That was something I stumbled across nearly 40 years ago, and it has always formed the basis for how I understood Superman's abilities. They weren't a single mutation. They were a culmination of them. Even in the comics they had divided up his powers into two groups based on the dual sources of the powers. While none of the powers seemed to work under a red sun, there were a few stories that showed Superman under Kryptonian gravity on Earth (some type of gravity weapon). I fondly remembered the idea of Superman having certain powers that failed and others that didn't under just the gravity … and sort of wondered why the opposite wasn't true. Always figured if I got a chance to write a Superman book I'd "fix" that point by giving him powers under a yellow sun and powers that were just from the lighter gravity.
    Intersting ambition and I really wonder why DC never went with this explanation instead they chose a more harder to believe one the solar battery concept because it would mean that if Superman was underground or something he would be running on limited power and would need to get to the surface as soon possible to avoid what may befall him.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Well, just as I shouldn't be writing Batman because I can't write mystery or detective stories, if a writer can't do high concept s/he shouldn't be writing Superman.

It's just a matter of matching the strengths of the IP to the strengths of the author.
    I mean sure when it comes to writing Marvel and DC characters they all fall into very specific genres archetypes, as well as personalities that you need a very specific writer to do the job right. However Marvel and DC writers despite some of them being big names are actually cogs in one gigantic machine as well runners in a never ending relay race. So they need their writers to be very flexible to write their characters truth be told. Because there is seemingly no way to hire new writers apart from seeking out writers from the mainstream book market which I suspect the new imprints is also trying to cultivate new writers to help refresh their properties.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Intersting ambition and I really wonder why DC never went with this explanation instead they chose a more harder to believe one the solar battery concept because it would mean that if Superman was underground or something he would be running on limited power and would need to get to the surface as soon possible to avoid what may befall him.
    Well by definition science fiction should be hard to believe, given impossibility according to current science. But as a concept it shouldn't be any more difficult than believing a human can go days without food, only on a level far beyond what we know about human stamina. The battery idea posited that he had an enormous storage tank and an even bigger reserve for a massive second wind should he be close to a wipe out.

That whole thing may be defunct now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Well by definition science fiction should be hard to believe, given impossibility according to current science. But as a concept it shouldn't be any more difficult than believing a human can go days without food, only on a level far beyond what we know about human stamina. The battery idea posited that he had an enormous storage tank and an even bigger reserve for a massive second wind should he be close to a wipe out.

Yeah but with science fiction you have to come up with enough science that maybe fake but sensible enough to allow anyone to suspend their disbelief and accept this thing as plausible. I mean going by the solar battery concept alone doesn't really explain how Superman can fly, have super and freeze breath, super hearing, X-ray vision, micro vision, and telescopic vision. If i recall the fill in writer who did the Sinestro and Superman story made it as thought being underground for extended periods of time would deprive Superman of his powers.

I mean sure when it comes to writing Marvel and DC characters they all fall into very specific genres archetypes, as well as personalities that you need a very specific writer to do the job right. However Marvel and DC writers despite some of them being big names are actually cogs in one gigantic machine as well runners in a never ending relay race. So they need their writers to be very flexible to write their characters truth be told. Because there is seemingly no way to hire new writers apart from seeking out writers from the mainstream book market which I suspect the new imprints is also trying to cultivate new writers to help refresh their properties.
    You're definitely right that you have to be careful you don't break the toys, and management/editorial have a huge role to play in the mainstream Big 2 process. But again, that's finding the right talent for the right character; if you can't work within that huge machine you should be writing for Image instead.

But yeah man, you gotta get the right people for the right story. And if a writer can't handle big, over-the-top stuff, they're *probably* not a great fit for Superman. Of course, that depends on the kind of story you're telling too. Max Landis did amazing things with American Alien because he found a way into the character that fit his writing style. Kuwagaton might not do the crazy big idea stuff, but could maybe pull off a solid "triangle era" type story based in Metropolis (just as an example because he mentioned his preferences a post or two above, I know nothing about him or his writing ability or anything).

But if you can't match the talent to the IP, you're gonna have problems. And Superman is a tricky one. He's not just "standard superhero" fare where he protects his city and fights supervillain bank robbers while protecting his secret identity. He's bigger than just that (not that there's anything wrong with the standard superhero fare either). He's science fantasy (not science fiction; Supes goes beyond even Star Trek levels of rationalization) and that's a tough line to walk.

In fact, that's probably why the term "science fantasy" was split into "science fiction" and "fantasy" with novels; the term is oddly nebulous but at the same time oddly specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post

Also, solar radiation does permeate into the earth. Obviously not as much as what we get on the ground, which is far less than what we'd get in the upper atmosphere, but even underground Clark is going to get a trickle of solar energy. And in any case, if his battery was so finite, he'd start to lose his powers each night.

In my head canon it's not yellow sunlight as much as it is solar/cosmic radiation that empowers him. Because yellow sunlight would be highly limiting; there's only so many yellow stars in the universe, and if we want to get real technical, every star has its own unique properties and just because they're the same general color doesn't mean a whole lot when you start getting into what types of radiation they give off and in what amounts.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-01-2018 at 04:08 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Batman had a few non-continuity minis recently, and White Knight seemed to do pretty well, so maybe give some good writers and artists to pitch a few ideas and let them go for it.

You're definitely right that you have to be careful you don't break the toys, and management/editorial have a huge role to play in the mainstream Big 2 process. But again, that's finding the right talent for the right character; if you can't work within that huge machine you should be writing for Image instead.

But yeah man, you gotta get the right people for the right story. And if a writer can't handle big, over-the-top stuff, they're *probably* not a great fit for Superman. Of course, that depends on the kind of story you're telling too. Max Landis did amazing things with American Alien because he found a way into the character that fit his writing style. Kuwagaton might not do the crazy big idea stuff, but could maybe pull off a solid "triangle era" type story based in Metropolis (just as an example because he mentioned his preferences a post or two above, I know nothing about him or his writing ability or anything).

But if you can't match the talent to the IP, you're gonna have problems. And Superman is a tricky one. He's not just "standard superhero" fare where he protects his city and fights supervillain bank robbers while protecting his secret identity. He's bigger than just that (not that there's anything wrong with the standard superhero fare either). He's science fantasy (not science fiction; Supes goes beyond even Star Trek levels of rationalization) and that's a tough line to walk.

In fact, that's probably why the term "science fantasy" was split into "science fiction" and "fantasy" with novels; the term is oddly nebulous but at the same time oddly specific.
    Yeah your are right which is why Marvel and DC should be more selective of the writers they choose when they put on a book even Batman. Though despite people's preconceived notions of Bendis he seems to be at least trying to adjust his writing style to fit Superman. It's only one issue of Man of Steel but he seems to be doing a good job I hope his brush with death and coming to DC well revitalised him completely. I know with SUperman he's not your standard superhero though he used to be in fact he was originally a street level hero really. And for that reason alone he needs a very specific writer who can handle him. Though Bendis seems very accommodating in spite of the difficulties involved I just hope his experience with Guardians of the Galaxy was a good learning experience.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Yeah your are right which is why Marvel and DC should be more selective of the writers they choose when they put on a book even Batman. Though despite people's preconceived notions of Bendis he seems to be at least trying to adjust his writing style to fit Superman. It's only one issue of Man of Steel but he seems to be doing a good job I hope his brush with death and coming to DC well revitalised him completely. I know with SUperman he's not your standard superhero though he used to be in fact he was originally a street level hero really. And for that reason alone he needs a very specific writer who can handle him. Though Bendis seems very accommodating in spite of the difficulties involved I just hope his experience with Guardians of the Galaxy was a good learning experience.
    It's also not that difficult to understand and write the character (same could be said with all heroes and other characters) you just need to take the time to do a little research on them. What stories worked well with him and what was well received. A lot of people always come back to Morrison because he was the most successful in not only revitalizing the character but also did the one thing that many writers refuse to do, make Superman even more powerful. He understood his concept and utilized his world and cast really well and not only relied on his brawn but also his wit. Bendis has done the research and is writing him pretty well as proven by his first issue of mos. The upcoming weeks will tell us if he can keep up with the quality he is already putting out for the character.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

DC does need to be careful who they put on books. Though I do think there are easier characters for writers to hook into than others. Sometimes it's just because the character is in the writer's wheelhouse, sometimes it's because the character has more subtle layers and nuance to them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

DC does need to be careful who they put on books. Though I do think there are easier characters for writers to hook into than others. Sometimes it's just because the character is in the writer's wheelhouse, sometimes it's because the character has more subtle layers and nuance to them.
    Admitedly one of those character who I think are the easiest to hook a writer into writing is Batman really. And you'd think that Batman would be more nuanced than Superman but then you have people like Grant Morrison who reveal that he think of Superman in a very nuanced way unlike the general public who think of him in a very unnuanced way. Most were hoping that Bendis would get a street level hero because that's what he's most known for writing. But instead he chose Superman who has left behind those roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Hero View Post
    It's also not that difficult to understand and write the character (same could be said with all heroes and other characters) you just need to take the time to do a little research on them. What stories worked well with him and what was well received. A lot of people always come back to Morrison because he was the most successful in not only revitalizing the character but also did the one thing that many writers refuse to do, make Superman even more powerful. He understood his concept and utilized his world and cast really well and not only relied on his brawn but also his wit. Bendis has done the research and is writing him pretty well as proven by his first issue of mos. The upcoming weeks will tell us if he can keep up with the quality he is already putting out for the character.
    Well when you work in Marvel and DC time is money and you don't always have the luxury of researching the characters you'd probably be lucky if you do. Well that's the thing isn't it? Grant Morrson is good with making big and bold things work that why he was able to handle a more powerful Superman. Whereas you put anyone else on him on it you doubt it culd work in the case of Bendis who often more so than not is known for apparently disregarding a character's history so the fact that he has done any research on Superman is surprising maybe Rogol Zaar will stick unlike Black Zero.

Spectacular Member Hopeful Hero's Avatar

Well when you work in Marvel and DC time is money and you don't always have the luxury of researching the characters you'd probably be lucky if you do. Well that's the thing isn't it? Grant Morrson is good with making big and bold things work that why he was able to handle a more powerful Superman. Whereas you put anyone else on him on it you doubt it culd work in the case of Bendis who often more so than not is known for apparently disregarding a character's history so the fact that he has done any research on Superman is surprising maybe Rogol Zaar will stick unlike Black Zero.
    Agree completely. Time is money and as you said not many have the luxury of doing the research as well as having Morrison's gift for writing powerful heroes though it also wouldn't hurt to do a little digging to see what makes the character tick. It'll help go a long way for the writer.

Also agree with Rogal Zaar and his other new characters let's hope they stick around I like them.
    Last edited by Hopeful Hero; 06-02-2018 at 08:15 PM.
    "So as I pray, Unlimited Pak Works!"

I'd bring New 52 Superman back and put him in the Rebirth suit. Jon would be an Imp liken to Bat-Mite (call him Super-Mite I guess) and Supermans family that we currently have would a product of his vision. This vision isn't malicious, he just wanted to be Supermans son because he's a huge fan. This would be revealed through an event called Reign of Superboy where Kon and Chris come back to confront Jon and reveal the truth Clark and Lois would get married again eventually but they'll built up to it.

Kon gets a new look after his reintroduction, plain red tee, blue jeans, black shoes and a black leather jacket with a gold superman shield on the back. Complete with sunglasses of course. He'd have flight, super strength, super speed and TK. I'd keep the origin of being created in Cadmus lads with Lex/Clark as donors.

I would have Supes develop a bio-electric aura that shields him from kryptonite poisoning and mind control to an extent (high level telepaths would still affect him.)

If Lana was depowered after Superwoman ended I'd have her join the MSCU branch of the Metropolis Police Department.

I'd have Action Comics have several arcs focused on different characters at a time. One might be focused on Jimmy and Lois another might be focused on Steel or Traci 13 and Natasha. I'd just have it shuffle through different sets characters in his mythology.

As far as personality goes, I'd have him be modest and confident but not arrogant.

I'd make Jimmy head of the social media department at the Daily Planet if there is such a thing. (Im not all the way caught so something like this may have already happened)

New metahumans are popping up all over Metropolis and Clark is going to use his investigative journalism skills to figure out why. His sources are going to lead him towards medical experiments clearing people of their diseases and disabilities while having them develop strange powers as an after effect. Luthor is behind this but he's doing so because he wants humans to be every bit as capable as Superman is. Luthor sees this as being philanthropic in is own way, I'd call it the everyman project.

Thats all I have so far.
    Last edited by 9th.; 06-02-2018 at 09:08 PM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I'd bring New 52 Superman back and put him in the Rebirth suit. Jon would be an Imp liken to Bat-Mite (call him Super-Mite I guess) and Supermans family that we currently have would a product of his vision. This vision isn't malicious, he just wanted to be Supermans son because he's a huge fan. This would be revealed through an event called Reign of Superboy where Kon and Chris come back to confront Jon and reveal the truth Clark and Lois would get married again eventually but they'll built up to it.

Kon gets a new look after his reintroduction, plain red tee, blue jeans, black shoes and a black leather jacket with a gold superman shield on the back. Complete with sunglasses of course. He'd have flight, super strength, super speed and TK. I'd keep the origin of being created in Cadmus lads with Lex/Clark as donors.

I would have Supes develop a bio-electric aura that shields him from kryptonite poisoning and mind control to an extent (high level telepaths would still affect him.)

If Lana was depowered after Superwoman ended I'd have her join the MSCU branch of the Metropolis Police Department.

I'd have Action Comics have several arcs focused on different characters at a time. One might be focused on Jimmy and Lois another might be focused on Steel or Traci 13 and Natasha. I'd just have it shuffle through different sets characters in his mythology.

As far as personality goes, I'd have him be modest and confident but not arrogant.

I'd make Jimmy head of the social media department at the Daily Planet if there is such a thing. (Im not all the way caught so something like this may have already happened)

New metahumans are popping up all over Metropolis and Clark is going to use his investigative journalism skills to figure out why. His sources are going to lead him towards medical experiments clearing people of their diseases and disabilities while having them develop strange powers as an after effect. Luthor is behind this but he's doing so because he wants humans to be every bit as capable as Superman is. Luthor sees this as being philanthropic in is own way, I'd call it the everyman project.

Thats all I have so far.
    Not a fan of the way DC brought back Post-Crisis Superman and Lois Lane and how they brought Jon Kent into the world before and after Superman Reborn are you? Also Myxyzptlk already fulfills the The role of Super-Mite for Superman and it makes sense considering how Bat-Mite comes from the same dimension. And your choice to mix both Conner Kent's 90's origin with his 2000's one is an interesting choice i guess the backlash has somewhat died down.