Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Who Should Be the Next of Superman's Supporting Cast to Know Clark's Secret?

Inspired by Superman Day, I thought, why not create a thread about one of the biggest parts of the Superman mythos: his secret ID. Okay, so obviously Truth has been undone and this is also operating off the assumption that Clark telling Jimmy that he was Superman was done away with too.

I actually find it so funny that something that was once so important to the character's mythology, this huge secret he's keeping from his friends and loved ones, hasn't been touched upon for quite some time. So, the only people (not including the other DC heroes and members of the Superfamily like Kara and John Henry) who know Clark's secret identity are Lois and Jon (duh), Lana, Cathy and some Hamilton residents. At least I think that's it. Pete Ross might still know, but he hasn't been seen in a while. As an aside, they should bring him back and I hope he still knows about Clark.

So, who else of the non-superhero community should find it out? Who does Superman trust enough to bring into the fold? Jimmy "again"? My personal preference would be to reveal that Perry already knows that Clark is Superman, having sussed it out a long time ago

But, yeah, what do you think?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-19-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

No contest. Jimmy. One of the very few continuity elements of the New 52 they should have carried forward.

In my head canon, both Perry and Jimmy know.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Lex Luthor. It would be really game changing if it were his mortal enemy to know his secret instead of the inoffensive Jimmy Olsen.

I think Jimmy should know.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Nobody. No one else should know IMO.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I really want to see John Henry and Clark become good friends, and eventually Clark tells him his secret.

I always thought people from Smallville and the Daily Planet did know or atleast suspected. But just never said anything, kinda like an unspoken secret agreement. Perry and Jimmy would surely know I think.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    I always thought people from Smallville and the Daily Planet did know or atleast suspected. But just never said anything, kinda like an unspoken secret agreement. Perry and Jimmy would surely know I think.
    I mean, Lana Lang knows in continuity still.

Extraordinary Member

I'm gonna throw one completely out of left field and suggest someone who isn't even in Clark's inner circle: Steve Lombard. Let's say he just finds out by accident. It would be incredibly entertaining to see Lois and Clark have to keep a lid on it and prevent him from telling people in the office.

Or maybe Bibbo?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I say no one. Although I did like the separate occasions where Loeb and Seagle teased Perry figuring things out. But Perry isn't close enough to make it meaningful as an ongoing idea and he'd absolutely keep his mouth shut if he did know. Loeb also tried Lex finding out. Obviously that would never work so the question is if you even play with it.

Pete Ross was never the most interesting character, so pre crisis that did help him stand out as a cast member. Lois and Lana not knowing was often a demeaning element to the stories, but it was a storytelling gimmick with very long legs. So while they were better developed post crisis and freed from some icky romantic implications, there was also a little something lost.

That's something Jimmy has always kept, though. If a creator needs to let him in to give him more of a role, I think that makes him look as boring as Pete.

His Ophthalmologist.

Lois Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    His Ophthalmologist.
    ROFL That's a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Lex Luthor. It would be really game changing if it were his mortal enemy to know his secret instead of the inoffensive Jimmy Olsen.
    Not 100% sure about that. The best part of the Superman mythos for me anyway is the fact that Lex Luthor doesn't know his secret.