Default Detective Comics #1000 or #1027 for Batman's big celebration ?

With all the craze around Action Comics #1000, it made me wonder... which issue would be the most iconic for a massive Batman celebration next year ? The #1000, to mirror Superman's, or the actual #1027 considering that batman first appeared in Detective Comics #27 back in 1939 ? Also, seeing those numbers, do you think that D.C. will hold back the issue to release it for Batman's anniversary, or will it thus be somewhat of a two-times celebration, with either the Tec issue and then the anniversary (or the reverse) ? And what do you expect in both cases ?

BANNED

They'll celebrate both cause why not?

Incredible Member

Tec 1000 can celebrate the Bat Family.

Tec 1027 celebrates Batman specifically.

Fantastic Member

I like that idea

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    Tec 1000 can celebrate the Bat Family.

Tec 1027 celebrates Batman specifically.
    Why should 1000 celebrate the family? Doesn't make sense.

After adding #0 and #1000000, Detective Comics #998 is actually the thousandth one. Technically we can't call Action #1000, thousandth issue when it had both zero and one million and Superman was not the star during the time it went weekly.

I will say they don't care for accuracy. But rather the number at the top. That is what people see. Make no mistake #1000 will be the one celebrated for Batman. 1027 does not have that 'sexy' sound.

Knowing DC, they will celebrate both. Also, I bet #1027 is going to have an updated version of Batman's original story from issue #27.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Detective 1000 will be a milestone issue, even if it's not that special for Batman. With that in mind, it would be nice if this issue could at least feature stories from the other Detective Comics characters that preceded Batman, like Slam Bradley and Crimson Avenger...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

#1000. More aesthetically pleasing. #1027 is just awkward and they already did the Detective Comics #27 anniversary.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    They'll celebrate both cause why not?
    Yup. Cause money!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

There is no reason to celebrate Detective Comics 1027. When DC celebrated Batman's 500th appearance in Detective, they did it with Detective Comics #526 (which introduced the Jason Todd Robin), not #527. #527 began the NEXT 500 appearances, which culminates in Detective 1026. Celebrating Detective 1027 is like celebrating Action 1001 although I don't think DiDio is that kind of a stickler.

The big, celebratory issue should be Detective 1000 even if Batman didn't arrive until #27 because #1026 just seems random. On the other hand, DC DID do giant-sized specials for #500 AND #526, so maybe they'll do both again.

Obviously, they can't let Detective 1000 pass by without a celebration, so that's a given. Detective Comics #1 was the very first DC comic and gave the company its name (while noting that Wheeler-Nicholson pre-Detective titles More Fun Comics and Adventure Comics were eventually acquired by Detective Comics, Inc.).

Detective #1026 would also be appropriate, but again, since this is DiDio we're talking about, I'm sure he'll celebrate #1027 and not care that is completely meaningless mathematically.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 04-19-2018 at 07:06 PM.

BANNED

DC celebrated Detective 19(900) from the New 52 and Tec 27 just 8 months later

As long as Detective Comics keeps coming out twice a month, issue #1000 should have a “cover date” of May 2019, exactly 80 years after #27’s May 1939 cover date. #1000 should actually be in stores in March 2019, so we should see the solicit for it in December of this year.
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000