Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best Wolverine Solo Runs

Greetings to the X-Men board this is my first thread here and just as the tittle say, can you please give me recomendations for Wolverine's run, i had always been a fan of the characther and read some of his stories here and there, but i would want to know from people more expirienced than me .

One of the latest Wolveine stories that I really liked was Wolverine Origins II #1.
    Other 4 issues of mini weren`t as good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Greetings to the X-Men board this is my first thread here and just as the tittle say, can you please give me recomendations for Wolverine's run, i had always been a fan of the characther and read some of his stories here and there, but i would want to know from people more expirienced than me .
    If you want to go classic, start with Claremont and Miller's four issue mini.
    Then the first ongoing. The start of the book is written by Claremont, then a few arcs by other writers like Archie Goodwin and Peter David.
    By issue 30 or so, Larry Hama's run starts. It's one of the longest and most classic runs Wolverine's had.
    Another classic is Barry Windsor-Smith's Weapon X story. It was originally published in the Marvel Comics Presents anthology, but is now collected in one single trade.

The classic Wolverine: Weapon X TPB by Barry Windsor-Smith may be good to get, it was essentially the first good look at his "secret origin".

BANNED

Wolverine by Frank Miller and Chris Claremont.

Weapon X by Barry Windsor Smith
    Wolverine by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller
    Wolverine by Larry Hama
    Wolverine by Greg Rucka
    Wolverine by Mark Millar

Thanks for the reccomendations, i read the Claremont/Miller mini a couple of weeks ago, but i wasn't sure where to start with his ongoing, i also heard good things about Frank Tieri's run from a fan, any thougths about that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
    Wolverine by Frank Miller and Chris Claremont.
    I second this. Wolverine has had a lot of great runs over the years, but I think Miller and Claremont are still the gold standard by which all Wolverine stories are measured.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Best :

1. Marvel Comics Presents Vol.1 #72-84 "Weapon X" by Barry Windsor Smith
    2. Wolverine Vol.1 #1-4 + Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #172-173 by Chris Claremont, Frank Miller & Paul Smith
    3. Wolverine Vol.3 #66-72 + Giant Size Old Man Logan #1 by Mark Millar & Steve McNiven
    4. Wolverine Vol.2 #173-176 "The Logan Files" by Frank Tieri & Sean Chen
    5. Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #133, #205, #213, #251 & #268 by Chris Claremont (ok I'm kind of cheating here, but it's basically all the Wolverine centric issues from Chris Claremont's first X-Men run and they're all amazing)
    6. Wolverine Vol.2 #10 "24 Hours" by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz
    7. Uncanny X-Force Vol.1 #1-18 "The Apocalypse Solution" & "The Dark Angel Saga" by Rick Remender and Jerome Opena
    8. Wolverine Vol.3 #20-32 "Enemy of the State" + "Prisoner number Zero" by Mark Millar, John Romita Jr & Kaare Andrews
    9. Wolverine Vol.2 #75-90 "The dying game" by Larry Hama & Adam Kubert
    10. Old Man Logan Vol.2 #5-8 "Bordertown" by Jeff Lemire & Andrea Sorrentino
    11. The Incredible Hulk Vol.1 #340 "Vicious Circle" by Peter David & Todd McFarlane
    12. New X-Men Vol.1 #148 by Grant Morrison & Phil Jimenez
    13. Wolverine Vol.2 #119-122 "Not Dead Yet" by Warren Ellis and Leinil Francis Yu
    14. Wolverine Vol.2 #31-57 by Larry Hama & Marc Silvestri (lose points because I can't stant Elsie Dee, the Mojo story and the Silver Fox revelation)
    15. Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine Vol.1 #1-6 by Jason Aaron & Adam Kubert
    16. Deadpool Vol.3 #15-19 "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" by Gerry Duggan, Brian Posehn & Declan Shalvey
    17. Wolverine Vol.3 #73-74 (back up) "A mile in my mocassins" by Jason Aaron & Adam Kubert
    18. Incredible Hulk Vol.1 #180-182 (First Wolverine appearance) by Len Wein & Herb Trimpe
    19. Wolverine Vol.3 #1-6 "The Brotherood" + the Nightcrawler issue by Greg Rucka & Darick Robertson
    20. Weapon X Vol.1 #1-4 by Larry Hama & Adam Kubert

Honorable mentions :

- Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #139-142, Annual #11 by Chris Claremont, John Byrne & Alan Davis
    - Kitty Pryde & Wolverine Vol.1 #1-6 by Chris Claremont & Al Milgrom
    - Classic X-Men Vol.1 #10 by Chris Claremont & John Bolton
    - Spider-Man Versus Wolverine Vol.1 #1 by Christopher Priest & Mark Bright
    - Marvel Comics Presents Vol.1 #1-10 + Wolverine Vol.2 #1-30 (Madripoor stories) by Chris Claremont, Peter David, Archie Goodwin, Jo Duffy, John Buscema, John Byrne, Klaus Janson & Bill Sienkiewicz
    - Wolverine: The Jungle Adventure by Walter Simonson and Mike Mignola
    - Wolverine Vol.1 #-1 by Larry Hama & Cary Nord
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #150-153 "Blood Debt" by Steve Skroce
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #159-166 & #181-185 by Frank Tieri & Sean Chen
    - Wolverine Vol.3 #62-65 "Get Mystique" by Jason Aaron & Ron Garney
    - Wolverine Manifest Destiny Vol.1 #1-4 by Jason Aaron & Stephen Segovia
    - Wolverine & The X-Men Vol.1 #1-8, #17, #39-40 by Jason Aaron
    - Wolverine and Jubilee Vol.1 #1-4 by Kathryn Immonen & Phil Noto
    - Wolverine: First Class Vol.1 #1-2 by Fred Van Lente & Andrea Di Vito
    - Ultimate X-Men Vol.1 #41 by Brian Michael Bendis & David Finch (Ultimate universe)

Worst :

1. Wolverine Origins Vol.1 #1-50 & Annual #1 + Wolverine Vol.3 #33-40 by Daniel Way (Way turned Logan into a sadist, a puppet, a war criminal, Wolverine Origins #26 is where Marvel and Daniel Way crossed the line with Logan when they turned him into a monster as worse as a nazi concentration camp guard, he also made Cyclops incompetent and made him scream like a baby during a fight with Logan)
    2. Wolverine Vol.5 #1-13 & Vol.6 #1-12 by Paul Cornell (Logan doens't know how to fight, he is affraid of shaving, crossing a street and need a hug from Beast because he lost his healing factor... yeah that's beyond terrible)
    3. Wolverine Vol.3 #50-55 & Vol.2 #310-313 : Evolution & Sabretooth Reborn by Jeph Loeb (Loeb made Logan the creator of the Weapon X project, just think about that for a second)
    4. First X-Men Vol.1 #1-5 by Christos Gage & Neal Adams (bunch of nonsense)
    5. Origin II Vol.1 #1-5 by Kieron Gillen & Adam Kubert (first issue is great, the rest sucks)
    6. Wolverine Vol.2 #101-110 & Uncanny X-Men Vol.1 #332 by Larry Hama & Scott Lobdell (The feral noseless Wolverine saga)
    7. Marvel Knights Spider-Man Vol.1 #13-14 by Reginald Hudlin
    8. Secret War Vol.1 #1-5 + The Pulse Vol.1 #9 by Brian Michael Bendis
    9. Wolverine Vol.3 #57-61 Logan Dies by Marc Guggenheim
    10. Wolverine Max Vol.1 #1-15 by Jason Starr

Honorable mentions :

- Wolverine Vol.2 #61-64 by Larry Hama (The Infamous Silver Fox retcon story)
    - Wolveirne Vol.2 #123-128 by Chris Claremont (the disappointing Claremont 2nd run)
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #133-149 by Erik Larsen (boring Larsen run with the infamous Skrull Wolverine saga)
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #154-158 (Leifield terrible run)
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #177-180 (terrible Matt Nixon run where Wolverine is fighting the Vatican)
    - Wolverine Vol.2 #186-189 (terrible Wolverine/Punisher story and some boring stories by Way)
    - Wolverine: Black Rio (dunno what Casey smoke when he wrote this thing),
    - Wolverine/Cable Guts and Glory (Casey nonsense + Prat art = a terrible combo)

And to answer your question, yes the Frank Tieri run is great especially the "Logan Files" saga
    Last edited by Hush; 01-02-2019 at 05:28 PM.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    i also heard good things about Frank Tieri's run from a fan, any thougths about that one?
    Frank Tieri had an amazing run with the character. If you read it and like it, you'll want to go to Tieri's Weapon X and its follow-up mini-series (Weapon X: Days of Future Now), which really brings his entire run full circle. Good (and often overlooked) stuff, it is.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Frank Tieri had an amazing run with the character. If you read it and like it, you'll want to go to Tieri's Weapon X and its follow-up mini-series (Weapon X: Days of Future Now), which really brings his entire run full circle. Good (and often overlooked) stuff, it is.
    Thanks .

BANNED

All-New Wolverine by Tom Taylor

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Thats NOT a Wolverine run
    X-Men Forever

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    Thats NOT a Wolverine run
    I was waiting for both of these posts.

I read the first 5 issues, i thougth that it was solid, but i don't know how much fit with X-23 characther, Gage Avenger Academy is my only expirience with her.
    Last edited by TheCape; 04-19-2018 at 08:03 AM.