Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Sure there is a justifiable reason. This is a team up of teams. He wasn't in one of those at the end of the individual books.
    Yes he was. He's been in the main Avengers team since post-Civil War II. At no point did he leave the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Spidey is an INDEPENDENT hero first though. He's got a solo. Where he solos. It stands to reason, his soloing HERE is completely justifiable given that the team's assembly wasn't even THEIR choice in the first place. They didn't organize in response to something. They were plucked -- or rather SKIPPED (from being frozen) -- for the game.

Blame the Grandmaster?
    Or Valerie?
    That doesn't even work as a justified reason considering that we saw that he was among the frozen Avengers who were gathered to the Avengers HQ so there was no reason for him not to be with the team other than the writers simply choosing that they didn't want him in the story. And most of the members of the Avengers who have solos are independent heroes but they are part of the team. When the Avengers are together, they are a team no matter who does solo normally.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 04-19-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Yes he was. He's been in the main Avengers team since post-Civil War II. At no point did he leave the team.
    Oh Yes! There he is. How ever did I miss him?

Avengers.jpg

Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-19-2018 at 10:00 AM.

As you wish, Kuro.

My takeaway from all this is that, once again, Spider-Man just does not fit on Avengers teams .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBubba View Post
    This is why I am seriously hoping there are unrevealed plans for a second (West Coast anyone?) Avengers team. While the new line-up for the main title is awesome, it would be great to see some of these other members shine in their own team.
    Definitely. Wanda and Janet pretty much need to appear somewhere, and I wouldn't mind seeing Simon, Miguel, 'Berto, Sam (Wilson and / or Guthrie!) and others get a chance to shine.

Still, it's likely we won't see Lightning again for years, so it's great that he got such an amazing showing here. (His 'D-list' comment was appropriately meta and salty.)

BANNED

I really enjoyed this issue. This is what a superhero book should be like...it should inspire you by the end of it...not just the group fight, but Living Lightning as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBubba View Post
    This is why I am seriously hoping there are unrevealed plans for a second (West Coast anyone?) Avengers team. While the new line-up for the main title is awesome, it would be great to see some of these other members shine in their own team.
    Maybe you wish comes true, it should not be long before they launch New Avengers again.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    My takeaway from all this is that, once again, Spider-Man just does not fit on Avengers teams .
    It’s not even a matter of him not fitting. The writers choose not to make him fit by writing him badly. We’ve seen Peter able to take charge over in his solo, having done so a lot even in Slott’s run. That same person who ended Spider-Island, beat the Dock Ock controlled Avengers in Ends of the Earth, led a Spider-Army in Spider-Verse, etc should not be the butt monkey like some D-list joke character outside of just bad writing. Writers seem to have completely missed the entire point of his quips being a battle strategy to throw his enemies off their game and instead think he’s just the lord of bad jokes at all times. That they don’t seem to get the character is part of the problem.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 04-19-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Man, I REALLY hope this ends with the announcement of a new team book rolling out of this. Maybe not called Avengers but with so many of the characters who got some good face-time here (Wanda, Vision, Wonder Man, Janet, Hawkeye, Lightning, Hercules...hey, I'll even take Voyager on the team if that means it's happening).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Your pizza's gotta be weird.
    Okay that's was a "Coffee meets Keyboard" laugh line right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Man, I REALLY hope this ends with the announcement of a new team book rolling out of this. Maybe not called Avengers but with so many of the characters who got some good face-time here (Wanda, Vision, Wonder Man, Janet, Hawkeye, Lightning, Hercules...hey, I'll even take Voyager on the team if that means it's happening).
    Force Works? West Coast Avengers renamed to that back in the 90s.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That doesn't even work as a justified reason considering that we saw that he was among the frozen Avengers who were gathered to the Avengers HQ so there was no reason for him not to be with the team other than the writers simply choosing that they didn't want him in the story. And most of the members of the Avengers who have solos are independent heroes but they are part of the team. When the Avengers are together, they are a team no matter who does solo normally.
    To be fair, it sounds pretty in-character for Spidey to not go fight the main threat to save random civilians.

Preview for 690
    https://www.cbr.com/preview-avengers...ampaign=CBR-TW

Rogue and Jan's friendship is super cool to read

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Preview for 690
    https://www.cbr.com/preview-avengers...ampaign=CBR-TW

Rogue and Jan's friendship is super cool to read
    Maybe Rogue should tell Janet about how many times the Xavier school has been wrecked!

It’s not even a matter of him not fitting. The writers choose not to make him fit by writing him badly.
    You realise that their hands are somewhat tied by the necessity of canon? The Spider-Office is very busy and can't always be consulted quickly, especially if the writer on ASM is busy writing. So if a team book outside of the Spider-Office wants to use him they necessarily have to use him superficially. Its a balancing act. They get to use his prominence to potentially sell books, but they can't do a lot with him.

It is totally unfair to suggest this book is badly written. A story which specifically focuses on the wider team and is thematically about the guys that don't always get the spotlight. That's like accusing Hamlet of being too contemplative.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-20-2018 at 01:31 AM.