• Yay

49 50.52%
  • Nay

29 29.90%
  • Okay with either

19 19.59%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The first time they took the trunks away from Batman in the comics, it looked real goofy to me. And it’s not like he was wearing the armour from the movies.

But that look didn’t stick for long. And with all the tweaks and changes to Batman’s style, there’s not anything that’s likely to stay for long. So it doesn’t trigger the same response.

I expect Batman to keep changing. And probably wear trunks.

If Superman’s new look was downplayed, then few would care if he was trying something else for awhile. It was the hardline taken by some fans and DC—that the trunks should never ever return—that triggered an equal and opposite response.

If we’ve learned anything from social media it’s that the easiest way to polarize debate is to take up an extreme and rigid position—forcing others to retreat to their corners and never allowing a middle ground.
    I agree with you. Classic is by far my favorite design but i am fine with it not being universal. I don't ever understand the obsession with extremes.

Take away the trunks its fine. But don't take it away from everywhere. I am all for alternating costumes in comics. Clearly a good chunk of people don't like it. And there's a clear chunk who like it too. Why piss off one section of fans? I say let one arc with the classic and another arc with good alternatives like Reborn. Extreme positions usually don't work.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

I'm a yea for the trunks. His color palate needs that red break in the blue. It makes him easier to follow in panels as well, and with the design you can more easily have an identifying marker for the character with how he's broken down and angled for flight in drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    P.S: Reborn suit is the best.

Attachment 64942
    That's the one really annoying thing. They just finally nail the BEST COSTUME and then like a year later they replace it with the old one? Come on, man!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The first time they took the trunks away from Batman in the comics, it looked real goofy to me. And it’s not like he was wearing the armour from the movies.

But that look didn’t stick for long. And with all the tweaks and changes to Batman’s style, there’s not anything that’s likely to stay for long. So it doesn’t trigger the same response.

I expect Batman to keep changing. And probably wear trunks.

If Superman’s new look was downplayed, then few would care if he was trying something else for awhile. It was the hardline taken by some fans and DC—that the trunks should never ever return—that triggered an equal and opposite response.

If we’ve learned anything from social media it’s that the easiest way to polarize debate is to take up an extreme and rigid position—forcing others to retreat to their corners and never allowing a middle ground.
    That's pretty much how I felt. I didn't mind so much that they gave Superman a new suit, though I didn't like the New 52 suit for reasons that went beyond the lack of trunks, but I hated being told that the old look was dated, obsolete, couldn't work in the modern era, and that bringing them back would represent creative stagnation and regression. Geez people, lighten up, if you really think the suit doesn't make the man, quit complaining about the trunks coming back.

Nay.

Proper hate them. The Man of Tomorrow doesn't know how underwear works.

If we're honestly into the 'classic' look, then why is no-one clamouring for the yellow police badge and red slippers?

But we all know the answer to that...

Amazing Member

Nay.

For me, Superman is the "Man of Yesterday" now.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    That's the one really annoying thing. They just finally nail the BEST COSTUME and then like a year later they replace it with the old one? Come on, man!
    Yeah, this old timer thinks it looks the best, too. But Superman will be Superman regardless of what he's wearing, so no worries from me.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Never mind. The thread is for another purpose. Discussing it was for another thread.

If you don't like the classic one, just wait a while. I'm convinced they'll tinker with it again someday. The taboo of trying it has already be hurdled. Its like when Spider-Man first got his black costume. The idea of it changing at the time had fans up in arms, but they started growing used to it. Then he went back to the classic. But ever since then Peter has occasionally changed suits, be it new black suits or entirely differently looks. I expect the same to happen with Superman going forward. He'll adopt another trunksless look for a while when they get the hankerin' to do it again, then when they get the hankerin' to go back to the classic, they'll go back to the classic. Either way I expect the days of the untouchable tag to be over.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    Nay.

Proper hate them. The Man of Tomorrow doesn't know how underwear works.

If we're honestly into the 'classic' look, then why is no-one clamouring for the yellow police badge and red slippers?

But we all know the answer to that...
    If I might posit: that's because it's the original look, not the "classic" look. If they say they want the original look (which some fans mistakenly called the classic), then yes.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thanatoskun View Post
    Nay.

That's very well put.

Amazing Member

It's art school 101, color composition. Batman minus the trunks works because of the color palette of his suit. Doesn't work with Superman (or a Dr. Fate for example) for the same reason. Has to do with how the eye reacts to color. Now if they'd only bring back his black/blue hair!

The color composition of the trunksless suits were just fine. I mean, if that didn't work, someone better tell DC that they've been doing something wrong with Barry and Wally's costumes since their inception.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by thanatoskun View Post
    Nay.

I don't buy the notion that Superman has to change his suit every so often in order to stay true to the "Man of Tomorrow" nickname.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    I don't buy the notion that Superman has to change his suit every so often in order to stay true to the "Man of Tomorrow" nickname.
    The suits represents a 1930's view of what "a man from tomorrow' might look like.

It's not the 1930's anymore.