• Yay

49 50.52%
  • Nay

29 29.90%
  • Okay with either

19 19.59%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

I now dislike them even more than before they went bye-bye.

YAY !!!

The Legacy of Unwavering consistency, is just part of what the Legendary "Man of Steel" is all about, and nothing echoes that more then the highly recognizable; ICONIC and Classic Costume that is Synonymous with Superman, that is his Signature Look that is fitting the "Man of Tomorrow"!

I'd prefer the trunks though it's not a big deal. I guess we'll find out for sure in a month with Action #1001.
    Power with Girl is better.

Retired

Yea [proper spelling is important to me ]

Spectacular Member

Nay x 10 to the tenth power. Everytime I see them I get mad.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    This is anecdotal, but my kids never think he looks right without the red shorts. I've taught them well on this serious issue.
    You did a good job!! Gold Star!

I voted Yay. I prefer the classic iconic Superman costume.

ChristopherReeve.Superman.jpg

definitely yay.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I support the return of the trunks, despite I liked the N52 and Reborn belt...

The Superman of my childhood used trunks, when I started in the comics I saw one Superman without trunks and I saw that strange.

I'm of the opinion that it's unfair that Batman and Captain America can lose their trunks without anyone blinking, but when Superman loses his it's a big deal and everyone loses their minds.

Plus, nobody ever seemed to make jokes about Batman "wearing his underwear on the outside of his pants", but Superman gets that all the time even now. So in that regard, I'm fully "nay".

That said, I never thought the trunks were actually a problem aside from those jokes. I also just kind of got used to seeing Superman without them. Most of Action # 1000 did a really good job of making it seem like they were never gone, but I don't want them to become universal like they once were again, and in fact I'd like to see Superman in the comics start switching off depending on whether the artist likes them and can sell them or not. For example, Jim Lee should probably never draw the trunks again. :P
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Yay, he looks exactly like Superman with the trunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I'm of the opinion that it's unfair that Batman and Captain America can lose their trunks without anyone blinking, but when Superman loses his it's a big deal and everyone loses their minds.

Plus, nobody ever seemed to make jokes about Batman "wearing his underwear on the outside of his pants", but Superman gets that all the time even now. So in that regard, I'm fully "nay".

That said, I never thought the trunks were actually a problem aside from those jokes. I also just kind of got used to seeing Superman without them. Most of Action # 1000 did a really good job of making it seem like they were never gone, but I don't want them to become universal like they once were again, and in fact I'd like to see Superman in the comics start switching off depending on whether the artist likes them and can sell them or not. For example, Jim Lee should probably never draw the trunks again. :P
    With Batman, it's because he first lost his trunks in Batman 89, then in the comics in 1995(if you don't count Azrael's wildly different Batsuit as the "real" Batsuit). I think fans have had more time to adjust to Batman not having trunks. Captain America's trunks were kind of inconsequential to the design because they were the same color as his pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    With Batman, it's because he first lost his trunks in Batman 89, then in the comics in 1995(if you don't count Azrael's wildly different Batsuit as the "real" Batsuit). I think fans have had more time to adjust to Batman not having trunks. Captain America's trunks were kind of inconsequential to the design because they were the same color as his pants.
    Agreed yes his costume went through many changes in it's early days, also there is electric blue suit don't count the black suit that was only for a few issues, and then the New 52, Rebirth, and Reborn eras but for at least 70 of his 80 year history Superman has had very little to no changes to his suit outside of cape length and S size unlike other characters even Batman and Wonder Woman and thus any drastic change looks strange to a good amount of people. Also the Internet is a big factor I remember when the electric blue suit happened when I was a teen and it had a two page spread in my local newspaper on it and I guessed it wouldn't be long term. But I went to my local comic book store complained for about 10 minutes with some friends got my books went home and never spoke of it again the internet wasn't that prevalent in my life yet like a lot of people then. But now people go online to complain they find lots of like minded opinions and once in that echo chamber believe their opinion is the majority and what once would has been a five minute rant because a belief due to validation.

Now I'm not pointing at any side I'm a Trunk fan but many people dislike them and both sides of the argument fall prey to this kind of thinking IMO.

Retired

The first time they took the trunks away from Batman in the comics, it looked real goofy to me. And it’s not like he was wearing the armour from the movies.

But that look didn’t stick for long. And with all the tweaks and changes to Batman’s style, there’s not anything that’s likely to stay for long. So it doesn’t trigger the same response.

I expect Batman to keep changing. And probably wear trunks.

If Superman’s new look was downplayed, then few would care if he was trying something else for awhile. It was the hardline taken by some fans and DC—that the trunks should never ever return—that triggered an equal and opposite response.

If we’ve learned anything from social media it’s that the easiest way to polarize debate is to take up an extreme and rigid position—forcing others to retreat to their corners and never allowing a middle ground.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Definitely nay, upon introspection. I realize I've always found them obsolete and useless, and downright cringey (yeah, I'll say they're cringey again) at times. what matters is not what Superman wears, but his personality and actions.

P.S: Reborn suit is the best.

Superman by LucianoVecchio.jpg
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.