Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Completely unsubstantiated rumor I heard, but possibly Bennett. And it would make sense. Snyder is still the big dog on campus, Bennett is one of his students and both of her books, Bombshells and Batwoman, are ending soon, so she's likely to get a new project.
    I truly hope not. I have yet to like a Bennett book and I really wanted to like DC Bombshells or Batwoman. I just find her writing terribly dull.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    I truly hope not. I have yet to like a Bennett book and I really wanted to like DC Bombshells or Batwoman. I just find her writing terribly dull.
    I found her first couple arcs for Batwoman pretty good, but also not stellar. Nothing compared to the Rucka and/or Williams III days. Doesn't help that she was running with Tynion's Colony crap as well, which isn't her fault but I do not care for that stuff AT ALL.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-20-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I like Bennet's writing most of the time but most of the books she writes don't sell very well and/or get cancelled so I'm not sure she's the best choice for Wonder Woman. Don't get me wrong, I love what she did with Paula Von Gunther in Bombshells.

As for who I'd be open to taking on the writing chores of this book:

Phil Jimenez
    Geoff Johns
    Tim Seeley
    Steve Orlando(I know he's just filling in but he'd still be welcome in my book for an ongoing stretch)
    Amanda Conner
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I'm not sold on Bennett, she's yet to do anything that has held my interest at all. I would be very much happy to have Seely on the book though.

"Who" is nowhere near as important as the title having a concrete direction.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Bringing back Eviless/Saturna from obscurity (along with Crimson Centipede, which is even more out there) earned him soooooo many brownie points from me. He expressed love for Earth One on Twitter, so he'd definitely be channeling Morrison, who in turn is using Marston and Kanigher as his primary inspirations. Judging by his choice of antagonists for his one shot, I think it's a safe bet he'd be pouring over some Golden and Silver age stories for ideas. Plus, what little we saw of her, his voice for Diana was better than Robinson's.

I love Orlando's Supergirl, but JLA was kind of boring. Still liked it what little I read of it, but wasn't blown away by it either. But his revamp of Aegeus was really solid, and could have worked better for a Wonder Woman or even a Steve and Oddfellows story than it did for a book with JLA in the title.

To be fair, the franchise pretty much is that already....
    Seeley's one shot did contain a lot of potential ideas. And I would personally prefer Seeley over Bennett and Rucka as he actually went out of his way to show that Steve could actually have a life outside of Diana and has other priorities than that. And that Steve didn't need Wonder Woman to come busting in to save his back all the time. He would be a more balanced writer than Rucka and probably Bennett as she went really off the rails with her Bombshells story. However he did show that the new character he created Singularity Jain for Green Lanterns can corrupt Wonder Woman if she is held by her lasso for too long as Singularity Jain is a force of corruption. Orlando's Supergirl was a little too close to the reviled CW show so I didn't mind at first but I came to dislike it after a while. Orlando's Justice League of America was just well boring.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I recently tweeted Seely about wanting him on the book. He agreed with me. I have a feeling it will be him.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I recently tweeted Seely about wanting him on the book. He agreed with me. I have a feeling it will be him.
    That's good news but agreeing with someone does not always equal being it him.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Maybe with a fresh start, they could 'fix' her problems.

Make her a street level fighter, but no more so than Spiderman. That would take care of her power levels being too close to Supermans. Also, Batman is still the better fighter.

Make sure she can't fly like the movie, because some people here don't like that aspect. And of course, with her not flying makes her not look like a flying Superman.

Make sure she has a lasso in name only. Since it seems everyone can get out of the lasso's binding, just make it ceremonial.

Of course she needs her sword and shield.

And, any type of projectile has killing potential. Just because!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    "Who" is nowhere near as important as the title having a concrete direction.
    A concrete direction is usually set by an editor...unfortunately that's been a rarity for Wonder Woman. DC needs to find a writer (not necessarily a name, but one with skill, ability and knowledge) to write the book long term. You can take a writer who hasn't established themselves yet who loves the character and make gold with it. (I remember when this little guy named Johns took over the Flash...people were concerned because he hadn't written that much and probably only got the job because he was friends with Richard Donner...what ever happened to that guy???)
    I would love to see Snyder take on the book, but I feel with Justice League he is probably full (it seems to be remaining a bi-weekly series even at a higher price.) Tim Seeley would definitely be welcome as well. His Steve Trevor one shot was good and he has expressed he wants to, which is a big deal for Wonder Woman.
    Hopefully we wont end up with another Finch or Robinson episode (even though I would put Robinson's run miles and miles above the Finch's still.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Seeley's one shot did contain a lot of potential ideas. And I would personally prefer Seeley over Bennett and Rucka as he actually went out of his way to show that Steve could actually have a life outside of Diana and has other priorities than that. And that Steve didn't need Wonder Woman to come busting in to save his back all the time. He would be a more balanced writer than Rucka and probably Bennett as she went really off the rails with her Bombshells story. However he did show that the new character he created Singularity Jain for Green Lanterns can corrupt Wonder Woman if she is held by her lasso for too long as Singularity Jain is a force of corruption. Orlando's Supergirl was a little too close to the reviled CW show so I didn't mind at first but I came to dislike it after a while. Orlando's Justice League of America was just well boring.
    I doubt Singularity Jain would appear in Wonder Woman, though I imagine the Fist of Cain would possibly turn up as possible opponents for Steve and the Oddfellows.

I see the criticism of the CW Supergirl show influencing the Rebirth run quite a bit, but it's never bothered me personally. I neither read the New 52 run or watched a single episode of the show, so none of those elements bothered me that much. It just seems like a viable modernized way to utilize the Danvers, and the All-Star references won me over pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    That's encouraging, if not concrete. Fingers crossed!

BANNED

I found her first couple arcs for Batwoman pretty good, but also not stellar. Nothing compared to the Rucka and/or Williams III days. Doesn't help that she was running with Tynion's Colony crap as well, which isn't her fault but I do not care for that stuff AT ALL.
    Um this book has only had 2 arcs so far and 2 ones and dones.
    There's barely any Colony or Tynion crap. She has largely ignored whatever Tynion set her up with. I dont care about Tynion but this books dullness is on Bennet herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Um this book has only had 2 arcs so far and 2 ones and dones.
    There's barely any Colony or Tynion crap. She has largely ignored whatever Tynion set her up with. I dont care about Tynion but this books dullness is on Bennet herself.
    It's on its third arc currently, isn't it? "The Fall of the House of Kane"?

Colony Prime featured prominently in the second arc, and so did Jacob from what I remember. The first arc was pretty good but I think it was carried by the art. It also didn't reference too much from Tynion's Detective Comics, so that's probably why I liked it more. The one shot following the first arc was also excellent, but the quality dropped in the next issue.

I doubt Singularity Jain would appear in Wonder Woman, though I imagine the Fist of Cain would possibly turn up as possible opponents for Steve and the Oddfellows.

I see the criticism of the CW Supergirl show influencing the Rebirth run quite a bit, but it's never bothered me personally. I neither read the New 52 run or watched a single episode of the show, so none of those elements bothered me that much. It just seems like a viable modernized way to utilize the Danvers, and the All-Star references won me over pretty quickly.
    Creators tend to take their self made creations or characters they like after they leave the title Tynion plans two take Batfamily characters with him after closing his run. If no one is going to use Singularity Jain Seeley will probably take her with him to Wonder Woman. If no one minds Wonder Woman taking on enemies from outer space again. I think the only element I did not mind was how the Danvers became both DEO agents and Kara's appointed guardians actually. What All Star references anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Creators tend to take their self made creations or characters they like after they leave the title Tynion plans two take Batfamily characters with him after closing his run. If no one is going to use Singularity Jain Seeley will probably take her with him to Wonder Woman. If no one minds Wonder Woman taking on enemies from outer space again. I think the only element I did not mind was how the Danvers became both DEO agents and Kara's appointed guardians actually. What All Star references anyway?
    I can see Singularity Jain showing up if he does an outer space story, but I can also see her being used alongside some stuff like Suprema, Desira or Astarte.

Kara mentions to Lar-On that she met Bar-El and Lilo, and the issue where Super-Man and I-Ching help her find her spiritual center or whatever shows her imagining herself in a pose similar to the last scene we see of All-Star Superman (working on a machine in the sun). Also, another Morrison reference in that Selena is recruited by Emerald Empress while she is in Klarion's home town.

Aside from the presence of the DEO and Cat Grant, what else was taken from the show? It seems like Orlando took stuff from all over the map. I've never watched the show, do Dr. Xa-Du, Magog, Cyborg Zor-El, Emerald Empress, Solomon Grundy etc. all show up in it?