Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    The more I think about Jason, I'm less inclined to like him as Diana's brother, but am warming up to him being in the DCU with another origin. Maybe something like that can happen post-Doomsday Clock or whenever the DCU reboots itself again.

For fun and as a creative exercise, I've been working on a Wonder Woman Mythos "Thing" (because I don't know the format it'll take yet) that reboots her history, origins, supporting characters, villains, etc., as I'd like to see them. I'm mostly trying to be additive - in that I'm not erasing a character - but I'm also changing origins if I feel like it and it serves a creative and narrative purpose. In thinking about Jason and what he represents, compared to say Achilles Warkiller, I *think* I've come up with something I like better than being a Wonder Twin. We'll see if I hold on to that as I dig into it some more.

If he's not going to be a co-star in the pages of Wonder Woman, I'm trying to think of a suitable title for him to grow as a character - a la Artemis in Red Hood and the Outlaws. Maybe a new take of the Global Guardians would suit him best? Not that it looks like DC is reviving that title anytime soon.

:: puts on thinking cap ::
    Diana's cousin and Antiope's son, Virbius Rex Nemorensis, is a Wild Huntsman type, and I think he's a better fit for the Wonder-mythos, than Jason or Achilles.

He's immortal, a king, an Amazon by blood and, being the grandson of an Olympian, ..probably possesses powers, similar to Diana's. Considering he's actually an important figure in the real-life Roman myths of the Amazons, he should have been in the comic, a long time ago. He's a god, for crying out loud! Furthermore, being (like) a 'Poseidon of the Forests', if you can imagine that, he wouldn't get in the way, quite so much as Jason seems to be. He could pop out of his enchanted woodlands, help Diana out with a problem, ..and back to the woods he'd go!

He's a warrior hero, condemned to death, by his father, for a crime he didn't commit; then, resurrected and made immortal, by Artemis (or Diana). He lives in an enchanted forest, wa-aay over in Italy, somewhere. The story is already written - no tacking on or wrecking Wonder-mythos necessary.

How do writers keep missing this guy? He's so-ooo cool...basically a Woodland Aquaman. Scholarly books, quite a few of them, have been written about him and the real-life cult surrounding his myth. Again, ..he's actually IN the real-life myth and not just some comic book thing, like Jason. Why won't some one introduce him in a story? I don't get it.

I'll take Jason, if that's the best DC can do for an official male Wonder, but would rather have Virbius Rex. Or fellow Sensation Comics alum, Sargon the Sorcerer? Can we forget the 'Wonder twin' biz and get Sargon, as a recurring character?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-31-2018 at 05:45 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Diana's cousin and Antiope's son, Virbius Rex Nemorensis, is a Wild Huntsman type, and I think he's a better fit for the Wonder-mythos, than Jason or Achilles.

He's immortal, a king, an Amazon by blood and, being the grandson of an Olympian, ..probably possesses powers, similar to Diana's. Considering he's actually an important figure in the real-life Roman myths of the Amazons, he should have been in the comic, a long time ago. He's a god, for crying out loud! Furthermore, being (like) a 'Poseidon of the Forests', if you can imagine that, he wouldn't get in the way, quite so much as Jason seems to be. He could pop out of his enchanted woodlands, help Diana out with a problem, ..and back to the woods he'd go!

He's a warrior hero, condemned to death, by his father, for a crime he didn't commit; then, resurrected and made immortal, by Artemis (or Diana). He lives in an enchanted forest, wa-aay over in Italy, somewhere. The story is already written - no tacking on or wrecking Wonder-mythos necessary.

How do writers keep missing this guy? He's so-ooo cool...basically a Woodland Aquaman. Scholarly books, quite a few of them, have been written about him and the real-life cult surrounding his myth. Again, ..he's actually IN the real-life myth and not just some comic book thing, like Jason. Why won't some one introduce him in a story? I don't get it.

I'll take Jason, if that's the best DC can do for an official male Wonder, but would rather have Virbius Rex. Or fellow Sensation Comics alum, Sargon the Sorcerer? Can we forget the 'Wonder twin' biz and get Sargon, as a recurring character?
    I rather it be Jason. We’ve been on this journey with him for awhile. Hate to waste it just to bring in another male cast member.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I rather it be Jason. We’ve been on this journey with him for awhile. Hate to waste it just to bring in another male cast member.
    I have a feeling that we're going to get a break from Jason, when Diana's 'Brother, no' moment pops up, at the end of James's run. I think Jason might sacrifice his very existence to save the Rebirthverse...for awhile.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

For all my mythology knowledge, I haven't read up on Virbius Rex Nemorensis. By your description, he might work for another aspect of my Wonder Thing.

::heads to Google to get learned::

Jason's okay. If I were an eight-year old on the playground, again, he'd be my favorite superhero in the whole, wide world. LOL

I'll be happy, if we can get rid of this thing...this wraparound, noodle-necklace [?] holding up his ram's head amulet-thingy? It may have started as an inking error, but, it has gone too far, and it makes no sense. Historically...conventionally, the shoulder armor, with built-on collar, beneath the noodle- thing, should be a separate piece - maybe, TWO pieces. It drives me crazy, every time I look at it, ..but, I like Jason, anyway.

And the Bat-style, utility belt...what's he got in there? Buh'bye, Wonder Bat-belt.

As for cousin Virbius Rex (born Prince Hippolytos), had he been introduced in the Perez run, years ago, I don't think Jason would ever have made it to the comic. With Virbius as official male Wonder, there would be no role for him to play. Just can't understand why he's been left out of the Amazon story. Maybe, it's because Antiope has been left out of so much of it, until recently.

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-03-2018 at 02:17 PM.

I wonder if you wanted more male cast why not have added Athena's adopted son?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I wonder if you wanted more male cast why not have added Athena's adopted son?
    EXCELLENT point, Mizuno!

I think there's a misconception that Jason fans want more MEN in the WW comic, ..like in the regular cast. Not so. I think we would like to see one or two cool, powerful, male recurring characters added to the Wonder Family, but, no more. We would like to see them help out Diana, Donna and the Amazons in a big story, with high stakes...

But that's it.

Seriously...Steve and Ferdinand or Steve and (like) one, OTHER guy - Ching, Griggs, Huckabee, Darnell - are all the men needed for the regular cast, I think. I think Diana, two dynamic female supporting regulars, Steve and one, other male character is enough. Two guys are PLENTY.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

They could have even brought in the Olympian, Aristedes Demetrios. He could have been an excellent supporting cast member.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    They could have even brought in the Olympian, Aristedes Demetrios. He could have been an excellent supporting cast member.
    He briefly appeared in WW #35, O'Brian, where Jason helped him take down the Greek super-villain, Minotaurus. Not keen on seeing him in every or every other issue, ..but do think he would make a fine recurring character or member of the Wonder Family.

It raises an interesting question, though.

The second Olympian, Achilles, who happened to be gay, was received so much better, than Jason. I mean it's been like night and day. Since it's been established that Jason is a cast-iron ladies man, I wonder how fans would have received him, if he had been written gay, like Achilles. The WW comic already has so much gay representation, with its characters - Etta, Cheetah, Hippolyta, Phillipus, Io, Achilles, movie Menalippe - I wonder would Jason be more welcome in the WW comic...

If he were ..gay?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-03-2018 at 09:28 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

He briefly appeared in WW #35, O'Brian, where Jason helped him take down the Greek super-villain, Minotaurus. Not keen on seeing him in every or every other issue, ..but do think he would make a fine recurring character or member of the Wonder Family.

It raises an interesting question, though.

The second Olympian, Achilles, who happened to be gay, was received so much better, than Jason. I mean it's been like night and day. Since it's been established that Jason is a cast-iron ladies man, I wonder how fans would have received him, if he had been written gay, like Achilles. The WW comic already has so much gay representation, with its characters - Etta, Cheetah, Hippolyta, Phillipus, Io, Achilles, movie Menalippe - I wonder would Jason be more welcome in the WW comic...

If he were ..gay?
    Achilles being gay didn't have as much to do with his more positive reception as did how he was written. Likewise Jason's sexuality, where I don't think it was ever stated hevwas "cast iron straight" but I might have missed it, has little to do with his popularity as it's more that he has been so poorly written. He is a wimp, a whiner, he turned on his sister and set her up. Then vanished and came back stronger than the star of the book, who also took a back seat for much of the narrative in order to push him to the front. Very little to do with sexuality and much more to do with poor choice in storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Achilles being gay didn't have as much to do with his more positive reception as did how he was written. Likewise Jason's sexuality, where I don't think it was ever stated hevwas "cast iron straight" but I might have missed it, has little to do with his popularity as it's more that he has been so poorly written. He is a wimp, a whiner, he turned on his sister and set her up. Then vanished and came back stronger than the star of the book, who also took a back seat for much of the narrative in order to push him to the front. Very little to do with sexuality and much more to do with poor choice in storytelling.
    You know even with all that, I still prefer Jason over Achilles. It seems Robinson knew what kind of reception Jason would get initially and gave us the worst up front, so Jason would grow on us over time and he has, at least for me. Visually I like how he contrasts with Diana and his is a much stronger design than Achilles'. They're both feckless losers and easily outsmarted, but Jason has better ties to Wonder Woman and is more deserving to be a member of her family of characters. Like has been said before he already looks like an action figure and his perpetually second best status provides depth to his story. I applaud Robinson for giving him a definitive personality that's familiar to fans of other media, but hasn't been seen in Wonder Woman's book before.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    You know even with all that, I still prefer Jason over Achilles. It seems Robinson knew what kind of reception Jason would get initially and gave us the worst up front, so Jason would grow on us over time and he has, at least for me. Visually I like how he contrasts with Diana and his is a much stronger design than Achilles'. They're both feckless losers and easily outsmarted, but Jason has better ties to Wonder Woman and is more deserving to be a member of her family of characters. Like has been said before he already looks like an action figure and his perpetually second best status provides depth to his story. I applaud Robinson for giving him a definitive personality that's familiar to fans of other media, but hasn't been seen in Wonder Woman's book before.
    I agree with you! ��

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Perpetually second best? They've been beating the drum that he's better than Diana. And if Robinson knew how controversial Jason would be, the smart option would be to NOT write him and the stories surrounding him so abysmally. That's assuming he did know and frankly I feel that's giving him way too much credit.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I agree with you! ��
    Yaaayyyyy! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Perpetually second best? They've been beating the drum that he's better than Diana. And if Robinson knew how controversial Jason would be, the smart option would be to NOT write him and the stories surrounding him so abysmally. That's assuming he did know and frankly I feel that's giving him way too much credit.
    Yes he's second best, he only got the armor intended for Wonder Woman due to patriarchy and the mercurial whims of the gods. Hera for one apparently wants to see him fail. For all the talk of him being faster than Diana, so far it's just that, talk. He doesn't have the knowledge or experience necessary to make the most of his armor, when it's clear that Diana does. That's why it was designed for her. Jason knowing that makes him an underdog and I almost always root for the underdog.