Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I don't think Jason just happening to be gay versus heterosexual would have made him more popular to me, despite me being all in for more gay or bisexual or pansexual male characters in superhero comics. (The default or go-to often seems to be bisexual or lesbian female characters, with a Catman or an Extraño tossed in from time to time.)

Something is just not clicking for me with him yet, but maybe I'm just a little sore that Achilles Warkiller and Mysia were put to pasture so quickly without further development. I'm to the point where I'm fine with keeping him around, but I'm not connecting with his air powers or Dark Gods super suit given with the blessings of the Olympians.

So in short, I guess I don't know what I want from him as a supporting character with his current origin. HA! (I should stop being so picky, I guess.)

In my own Wonder Woman project I'm working on, I'm keeping Jason around, but have altered his origin. I'm also trying to add in some more supporting male characters for arcs or as overall backdrop. Kind of like how The Daily Planet and Arkham Asylum and STARLabs and WayneTech and GCPD and MPD have associated characters.

Achilles and Ferdinand are back in the picture as well as Heracles as an anti-hero/anti-villain (I haven't decided on which yet.) Angle Man is back in action as a gentleman thief and sometimes ally, similar to the Jimenez version. To make up for Diana not having a ton of longstanding male supporting characters, I'm developing some additional superheroes that live in her city and have been inspired by her, as well as finding spots for Ed Indelicato, Mike Schorr, Jonah McCarthy, etc. Between setting up ARGUS and Holliday University, perhaps there are other locales for Jason to operate in too.

Diana has some male characters that could weave in and out of her life and stories if they were more centralized, i.e. give her a city to call her own and build it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Yes he's second best, he only got the armor intended for Wonder Woman due to patriarchy and the mercurial whims of the gods. Hera for one apparently wants to see him fail. For all the talk of him being faster than Diana, so far it's just that, talk. He doesn't have the knowledge or experience necessary to make the most of his armor, when it's clear that Diana does. That's why it was designed for her. Jason knowing that makes him an underdog and I almost always root for the underdog.
    Hera is the only god who we've been told wants him to fail. He got the armour by virtue of being a guy unlike Diana who actually had to earn her powersand this is on top of him already having hit the super power jackpot. He isn't an underdog, he's a privileged guy who doesn't know he has privilege.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I don't think Jason just happening to be gay versus heterosexual would have made him more popular to me, despite me being all in for more gay or bisexual or pansexual male characters in superhero comics. (The default or go-to often seems to be bisexual or lesbian female characters, with a Catman or an Extraño tossed in from time to time.)

Something is just not clicking for me with him yet, but maybe I'm just a little sore that Achilles Warkiller and Mysia were put to pasture so quickly without further development. I'm to the point where I'm fine with keeping him around, but I'm not connecting with his air powers or Dark Gods super suit given with the blessings of the Olympians.

So in short, I guess I don't know what I want from him as a supporting character with his current origin. HA! (I should stop being so picky, I guess.)

In my own Wonder Woman project I'm working on, I'm keeping Jason around, but have altered his origin. I'm also trying to add in some more supporting male characters for arcs or as overall backdrop. Kind of like how The Daily Planet and Arkham Asylum and STARLabs and WayneTech and GCPD and MPD have associated characters.

Achilles and Ferdinand are back in the picture as well as Heracles as an anti-hero/anti-villain (I haven't decided on which yet.) Angle Man is back in action as a gentleman thief and sometimes ally, similar to the Jimenez version. To make up for Diana not having a ton of longstanding male supporting characters, I'm developing some additional superheroes that live in her city and have been inspired by her, as well as finding spots for Ed Indelicato, Mike Schorr, Jonah McCarthy, etc. Between setting up ARGUS and Holliday University, perhaps there are other locales for Jason to operate in too.

Diana has some male characters that could weave in and out of her life and stories if they were more centralized, i.e. give her a city to call her own and build it up.
    new origin of Jason? it is no longer the twin brother? that is his only reason for being

Quote Originally Posted by Kalethas31 View Post
    new origin of Jason? it is no longer the twin brother? that is his only reason for being
    Yup, a new origin that makes him not her twin...but of course there's a twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Hera is the only god who we've been told wants him to fail. He got the armour by virtue of being a guy unlike Diana who actually had to earn her powersand this is on top of him already having hit the super power jackpot. He isn't an underdog, he's a privileged guy who doesn't know he has privilege.
    Spoilers for Snyder's new Justice League tomorrow...

spoilers:
    Hera shows up in a panel as part of the Quintessence, replacing Zeus, which is a nice nod to Wonder continuity. I'm intrigued by Hera's desire to see Jason fail and if she somehow blames him for the death of Zeus. She seems to have gotten over Zeus being Diana's dad, so it be weird if she punished Jason for being his offspring and not Diana too. Jason could be something of a new Heracles for Hera. A new focus for her to wield her notoriously divine anguish and anger against.

Past some of those thoughts, I agree with you that Jason had his armor handed to him all to handily and readily.
    end of spoilers

You know even with all that, I still prefer Jason over Achilles. It seems Robinson knew what kind of reception Jason would get initially and gave us the worst up front, so Jason would grow on us over time and he has, at least for me. Visually I like how he contrasts with Diana and his is a much stronger design than Achilles'. They're both feckless losers and easily outsmarted, but Jason has better ties to Wonder Woman and is more deserving to be a member of her family of characters. Like has been said before he already looks like an action figure and his perpetually second best status provides depth to his story. I applaud Robinson for giving him a definitive personality that's familiar to fans of other media, but hasn't been seen in Wonder Woman's book before.
    I agree with you, too! Great to hear Jason defended, so boldly!

I hope James's run ends with Jason ditching that stupid armor, altogether. He's got nearly all of Diana's powers, with out it armor, anyway!
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I guess I stand alone in my Achilles love or have a thing for superheroes with supersteeds. (He-Man and She-Ra anyone?)

Maybe after the Dark Gods do their worst, he can get a fashion update. I don't mind the gold and black color scheme so much since Donna is working the black and silver.

I guess I stand alone in my Achilles love or have a thing for superheroes with supersteeds. (He-Man and She-Ra anyone?)

Maybe after the Dark Gods do their worst, he can get a fashion update. I don't mind the gold and black color scheme so much since Donna is working the black and silver.
    I loved the double trunked elephant

I loved the double trunked elephant
    Haha... ME TOO!

You're winning me over with your Jason argument as well...with his second best-ness and being a new voice in the pages of Wonder Woman. I'm not going to drop the book over him or anything.

Haha... ME TOO!

You're winning me over with your Jason argument as well...with his second best-ness and being a new voice in the pages of Wonder Woman. I'm not going to drop the book over him or anything.
    Truthfully, I think his 'second-bestness' is as it should be. As Huntress, Hawkgirl and Power Girl are not the equals of their male inspirations, I see no reason that Wonder Woman's male inspiration should be her equal, in every way. I certainly don't think anyone wants to see a Mister Wonder, who is his sister's better; in that, among true WW fans, there's no contest.

My problem with Jason is that his introduction is simply going on too bloody long. We know his powers, his backstory and seen him interact with his sister. Why isn't he hunkering down in Elsinore, training or setting up his hero's lair or whatever you do, between popping into special stories, teaming you up with your superhero sibling? Seriously...the book's title is Wonder Woman; he is Wonder-man or Wonder-something, ..and he needs to go.

If he had popped into WW #34, in full uniform (a BETTER uniform, please), beat some supervillain to a pulp, bounced some lasers off his armbands ..and disappeared, after saving his sister's bacon, we'd be clamoring for his return. Lieutenant-class heroes, sidekicks and siblings, pop in and pop out. They don't hang around for FIFTEEN issues, like Jason has. He needs to go...like yesterday! Buh'bye.

Bye-bye...go join a superhero team and appear in some other comics, where you can be appreciated for your awesome powers, build your own fanbase [He will!], get a better costume and be considered as something other, than Diana's usurper. Jason's problem and much of our problem with him seems to be that he's STILL here. Go away, Jason!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 06-07-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!