Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Most impressive displays of power

This has probably been done before, but I couldn't find anything in the new forums except for the hardest hits thread. Basically, I'm wondering what you guys can think of in terms of the most impressive displays of power by Marvel characters you've seen in comics. I'm not necessarily looking for the most impressive displays of power in terms of magnitude - even street-level characters can sometimes do something which simply makes you go "Whoa...". That's the type of stuff I'm looking for, and if you have scans they're obviously more than welcome :-) Of course, this applies to cosmic-level characters as well! They can be punches, energy blasts, lifting impressive weights, transmuting matter, using magic, anything you can think of which simply impressed you considerably when you read it, possibly because it was very nicely drawn as well.

I'll post a few examples in the next message.

BANNED

i'd be impressed if anyone judged these based on how well they were depicted on the page, as well as context and story impact
    because there's nothing more boring that straight up power level discussions

1. Galactus decimating the Annihilation wave:

In the arc, he had been beaten, he had been held prisoner, he had been experimented on, and now we needed to feel the magnitude of his rightful rage ,-) (full page scan here)

2. Dr. Doom having just acquired Galactus' power in Secret Wars:

Scan 1 - scan 2 (the depiction of his newfound omnipotence is very well done, imo)

3. Thor battling Jormungand in Thor #380 - the entire issue really, but these scans notably:

Scan 1 - scan 2 - scan 3
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 07-19-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Spider-Man lifting tons of debris, and fighting tremendous pain, in order to reach his aunt May in time to deliver the medication she needs to survive:

tumblr_inline_mhcztij8ue1qz4rgp.jpg

BANNED

Storm: "this must be the galactic core, millions of suns, crammed into a relatively tiny volume of space..."

Storm summons the power of the entire galactic core.

She didn't die as an Acanti sustained her.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Storm: "this must be the galactic core, millions of suns, crammed into a relatively tiny volume of space..."

Storm summons the power of the entire galactic core.

She didn't die as an Acanti sustained her.
    Same for me with respect to Storm. I think it's her greatest display of power to date. And I think the Trion fight and healing their dimension is next, and probably followed by the elemental cosmic turbulence that covered the whole planet .
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WINDRIDER View Post
    Same for me with respect to Storm. I think it's her greatest display of power to date. And I think the Trion fight and healing their dimension is next, and probably followed by the elemental cosmic turbulence that covered the whole planet .
    Why do we think the same? Oh I know! We're both intelligent and goodlooking that when girls see us, they faint because of overwhleming joy. Hahaha . Joke!

BANNED

Another one!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    1. Galactus decimating the Annihilation wave:

Annihilation was absolutely my favourite Marvel "event" (tied overall with Final Crisis). I came into make a joke about Silver Surfer being knocked out by a brick but seeing a true display of the power cosmic is always a pleasure.
    Hickman's Celestials/Galactus rumble was pretty awesome as well but overall I guess it was a display for Franklin Richards. Although Rich vs Annihilus from a few pages later and Drax vs Thanos are pretty impressive in their own right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 07-19-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

The recent New avengers #20 issue had its share of badass moments (a few at the expense of the traditional Marvel characters):

1. Boundless (basically a Flash analogue from another Earth) speed-blitzes Iron Man:

(full page)

2. Dr. Strange, after having been mind-controlled in Infinity, after feeling repeatedly helpless in the face of incursions, and after seeing his team in the process of getting beaten in the current fight, unleashes blood magic at the expense of his soul and, possibly, his life, in order to save Earth-616 and maybe destroy the other Earth. The sorcerer threatening him at the start is basically a Dr. Fate analogue from the same Earth as Boundless.

Scan 1 - scan 2 - scan 3 - scan 4
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 07-19-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Richard Rider in Nova #1 following Annihilation destroys the Planetfall weapon with the tip of his finger.

Nova Rules.jpg

Nova Rules 2.jpg

Nova Rules 3.jpg
    Last edited by Speedball; 07-20-2014 at 01:27 AM.

i don't know if it was the most impressive display but when Peter Parker threw the jeep at the would be assassin who shot Aunt May. i thought that was a very very cool display of power.

Fantastic Member

The time Thor hit the Midgard Serpent, who was the size of a small state, so hard it broke every bone in both their bodies. The sound effect had 17 Os.

Also, while not a display of physical power, Loki's manipulation of Balder the Brave must be acknowledged.

After Loki killed him with his one weakness, mistletoe, Balder was forced to wade through an ocean of blood and everyone he ever killed to return to the world of the living. Henceforth, he became a pacifist and renounced all violence. When he heard that Loki was consorting with Malekith the Accursed, and needed to deliver a message from Odin to him, Loki ignored him as he was captured and prepared for execution. Balder slipped his bonds and, with no other choice as the delivery of the letter could save billions of lives, was forced to renounce his vow as he singlehandedly killed every demon in the hall and delivered the letter.

At which point Loki revealed that hr had already accepted to work with Malekith, tossed the letter over his head, and laughed that it was so delightful to watch a pacifist slay his thousands that he couldn't beat to mention it before.

Balder then threatened to kill Loki via decapitation. He goaded him into it, and Balder ran screaming into the night, cursing himself... and when he left, Loki picked up his head and placed it back on. After all, the first thing a sorcerer of quality learns is making himself as difficult to kill as possible.

Thor slices through the Disir with Eir-Gram (the blade) right as they were about to slay him - like they've slain every being who uttered their name -, Tyr, Hela, and all of the dead in Hel.

A classic cover: Hulk protecting the heroes from the weight of the mountain above them: