Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    BANNED

EDIT:
    Nevermind. Somehow I posted in the wrong topic.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 06-20-2019 at 03:46 AM.

Whenever I read a G-Mo book, I think "dang this is kind of confusing". But I've learned that if I just scan over what I just read and do a mental recap of the plot, it turns out it isn't confusing after all. It's just more like a whirlwind experience to read GL right now. But really the plot is pretty basic.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    morisson does seem to have a lot of stories to tell, considering all the stuff he packs in in one issue. i like that he's exploring hal's character along with the adventures hal goes to.

i also feel that hal could benefit from more interaction with the rest of the dcu.
    Well his series is only 8 issues old, and he's already interacted with Adam Strange and Green Arrow. Not too shabby.
    WHO DAT?!!

Astonishing Member

This issue was pretty absurd.

I recognized the planet names I think, but I'll need some serious annotations to understand all the main references. But my main takeaway was that it took me a hot second to realize that the Hal I was reading was just our Hal, on vacation on a Fantasy planet. God this dude's life is something else. And man they just threw so many super-characters at us.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Hello, all, I mainly lurk, but I had to ask: does anyone know who Fekk (? think thats his name, the satyr) and the woman were? Are they from some other Green Lantern or DC run, some silver age nugget only Morrison would think to include, or are we just to assume Hal met them when he arrived on the planet (or reacquainted with them)? I loved the issue, but a page of set-up even would have been nice. I guess that last sentence could be applied to plenty of Morrison comics hahahaha

I loved the United Planets Supermen that made fantastic use of the ersatz Supers that littered Action, Superman and World's Finest in the Atomic Age to the Bronze Age. I'll do my best to annotate those for you.

The green-and-white Superwoman is Luma Lynai from Action Comics #289. She was from the planet Staryl

Marvel Maid is on the far left of page 2's final panel. She was a Supergirl/Linda Danvers look-alike from a far off planet called Terra that harbored a subterrenan civilization.

Logi and Quisto are from World's Finest #124. Logi is a superpowered alien from the planet Durim while Quisto is his pet 'blodohound'. Logi is the green guy in yellow and purple while his pet is the weird earwig hound next to him.

Regor is the red guy with the R on his chest. He's from Superman #58, making him likely the earliest of this ersatz.

On the splash page, the guy in the strongman leotard is Super-Male from Superman's Girlfriend, Lois Lane #41.

On the same page, the guy with the trident ringed with stars is Vidal from Adventure #260 , alias Allen Kent. He is briefly taken in by the Kents while Superboy is in space, effectively making him Superman's adopted brother (!!). Also of note, this issue was the issue that told Aquaman's Silver Age origin, effectively being the absolute border between Earth-2 and Earth-1 Aquaman.

The barechested love god is, of course, Vartox from the Bronze Age Superman comics.

The remaining guy is Power Boy of Juno, another Superboy story, this time from Superboy #52.

The Mon-El looking guy on the page on Kranaltine is Hel-Kar from Superman #80. For all intents and purposes, this story was recycled with Mon-El, the only difference being Hel-Kar was supposedly Superman's older brother.

The boy with the dog is probably Hyperboy of Trombus from Superboy #144. His dog is named Klypso.

To Hyperboy's right is Hyperman from Superman #265. He was from the planet Oceania.

The red and green guy and girl with the wings are Aeroman and Windlass from World's Finest #163. The two were rescued by Superman and Batman from a sort of proto-War World.

The green and yellow guy is Dyno-Man of the planet Sorrta. He was an old friend of Superman's from an untold story and had laser fingers, as is shown here.

On the far right is Maxima from the 90s comics, I think.

The two I have not been able to id are the Barda-esque woman with the sunburst on her chest and Marta the Strong-Woman.

Athmoora is from Green Lantern v2 #16, by the way, the first issue to give backstory to Abin Sur.
    Last edited by Jody Garland; 07-03-2019 at 11:57 AM. Reason: fixing link

Wow, Jody that is incredible. Thank you. Where does Grant Morrison store all of this? What kind of brain does this guy have? Incredible. But I'm still dying to know who Hal's companions were. Anyone?

Great work Jody. I had recognized some ones but not all. It was a fun surprise to found Luma, Halk Kar and Hyperman, but didn't know who the Bardaesque woman is but if the other one is Maxima, seems like Liam Sharp gave her a radical redesign.

Also, Strong Woman seems more like a creation of Morrison, as emulating the characters of that time, but with characteristics from modern times. We are talking about a time where most female characters were called "girl" or "lass" (specially, the ones around Superman titles), so a Strong Woman seems odd and parodic in some sense. She even could remind you of certain marvelous strong female character visually. Also, who didn't thought about BvS after that first page?

Quote Originally Posted by The Kissing Bandit View Post
    Wow, Jody that is incredible. Thank you. Where does Grant Morrison store all of this? What kind of brain does this guy have? Incredible. But I'm still dying to know who Hal's companions were. Anyone?
    Wikipedia? DC.Wikia? His own personal collection? An army of followers of his own personal cult? Buying old comics for hallucinogen drugs?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Also, Strong Woman seems more like a creation of Morrison, as emulating the characters of that time, but with characteristics from modern times. We are talking about a time where most female characters were called "girl" or "lass" (specially, the ones around Superman titles), so a Strong Woman seems odd and parodic in some sense. She even could remind you of certain marvelous strong female character visually. Also, who didn't thought about BvS after that first page?
    You were half right- back in the Silver Age, she appeared as Strong Girl in Green Lantern #32.

I did a little digging, and from what I can tell the planet Athmoora's only other appearance was in Green Lantern 16, where it's given just one or two panels in an Abin Sur back up story. The back up story explains why Abin Sur crashed to earth in a space-ship, when the ring gave him the power of flight. In short, some energy beings zapped humanoids of their 'i-factor' which removed their initiative to advance their knowledge pool. The citizens of Athmoora were one of the energy beings first victims, leaving what Abin Sur thought should have been an 'atomic age' civilization stuck in a medieval age, which then leads to Abin Sur taking on these energy beings. I take it Hal's companions in GL #9 then are just two friends he's been on adventure with since he landed on the planet. They seem so chummy I just assumed they had to have appeared elsewhere, but I can't find any appearances from my earlier searches
    Last edited by The Kissing Bandit; 07-03-2019 at 01:51 PM.

I love seeing Hal in Big stories that have nothing to do with the rainbow corps. This kind of stuff should always be part of a GLs life, even if they're "space cops."

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    You were half right- back in the Silver Age, she appeared as Strong Girl in Green Lantern #32.
    I was more on the wrong-half! Jody, your knownledge is superior to mine.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Just ID'd the Barda-woman; she's a female version of Solarman from Superman #298, a minor villain who basically had armor that mimicked Superman's powers.

Do we know who the 2 bug characters laying with Marvel Maid, Regor, Logi and Quisto is. A Solarman was mentioned in the same issue as Aeroman and Windlass which may have been replaced by Solarwoman since.

The Son of Suns Clairaudient Freedom Soldier's Avatar

Can you ID every member of the multiversal GL corps, my compeers?

Take a couple of minutes and check out this new comic book, friends: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...no-more-crises